Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 ford build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Omarsvette, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

hey guys I'm gonna start a thread on my build. I welcome all criticism. Maybe you see something I don't.

The car is a 1931 ford coupe. Chopped 3" or 2" I can't remember. All body work is done and floor has been modified. All glass is already cut and I got the door panels and carpet laid out. Dash is of a 41 Lincoln zephyr. Cut and bolted in. The windshield has been mod to a 32.

Motor is out of a 54 New Yorker with only 54k original miles. New th350. S10 rear.

2. Painting it white? Or is that clear?

Thor1 likes this.
  3. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

4. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

What are you referring to?

5. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

These are the wheels I'm planning on using with v8 caps. Though I'm considering on black smoothies. image.jpg

jimmysweden, AHotRod, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  6. Was just messing with you as there were no pictures...so assumed the car was the same white as the background, or clear and I couldn't see it...I know, it loses something if you have to explain it.;o)

I like what I see now.

7. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Cool, good to see it coming together.

Are S10 rear ends a convenient width? I am seeing a lot of them being used nowadays. I guess as long as you take it easy, it won't break. I sure fixed a lot of those when I owned my automotive business.... If the trucks weren't worked hard, or had a teenager doing burn outs in them, they seemed fine.

I can't wait to see that beauty with a Hemi in it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. belair

belair

9. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

I agree. Someone did a fine job of fitting that Lincoln dash....Very classy.

10. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

I did two other model A with s10 rears. They are a perfect width especially with fenders. Both time I used stock Vortec 350 so definitely under 200hp to the wheel. As far as hemi goes, well stock is 220hp. It's going to be a speed limit car.

brEad likes this.
  11. F&J

F&J

I wanna go for a ride in the 56...

Stogy, Chucky, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  12. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

This is my 331. I wanna use lake headers, traditional, not the ones you can route pipes underneath the car. image.jpeg image.jpeg

13. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

I'm game! Always wanted to see the east powered with a BBC

F&J likes this.
  14. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

A few S10's had 8.5 10 bolts, if you want HD you can buy a 31 spline posi and axles. Love the power plant.

15. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

The 331 is an excellent choice. I put an industrial 331 Chrysler in a '30 coupe, lots'a torque and ran cool all day long at 70. You probably already know about these guys, but here's a link to them if you don't.
    www.hothemiheads.com
    They got all the good stuff.

16. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Looks like a 2” chop. Those coil overs look a little too vertical to me. IMHO they need to be more at an angle. Love the windshield, like to see a couple more pics of it. Nice project, good luck with it.

17. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Normaly I put the ladder bars were the leaf spring bracket is on the rear end. Places the bars under the chassis. And I put the coilovers were the bars are now, which in turn put them at a 20-30 deg angle. I decided to bring the bars in more and the coilovers vertical to do something different. I do think they look better at an angle. I've seen people run em vertical, we'll see I guess. I'll get more photos soon, I'm working on a pan hard bar. I'm thinking of going from pumpkin to frame. Normally I go tube to frame. But I've seen a lot of 4x4 s10s go from the pumpkin. What you think?

Dino 64 likes this.
  18. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

I did not know about them, but now you made my budget go out the window lol

Black Fifty and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

40158B26-4D8C-4BCF-AF99-62AED159E6BE.jpeg The coil overs don’t work as well vertically, my only concern. Most pan hards are frame to pumpkin that I’ve seen. This is a Pete&Jakes set up

20. I'm with Dino on the coil-overs. They look a little too "Pro-Street" in their current configuration.

21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Don't personally care for the '32 w/s... I have grown fond of the model A visor...
    BUT I love the dash...
    buddy and I found a stripped '37 to '39 Lincoln Zepher coupe behind LL Beans in freeport...
    tried to get the dash but these litte black wasps had laid claim... stung 10 times... went back in December
    but it was gone... vanishing dash had 2 glovebox doors.
    pic of a... '30 - '31 Cabriolet cowl.. HIH.
    going to transplant the upper posts onto my coupester cowl posts... should give it that factory look.
    DSCN3528.JPG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good morning.
    Everything about it is cool, man.
    The dash is beautiful.
    Been wondering about using the '32 windshield area on a Model A...waiting to see somebody do it.

Clarktm and F&J like this.
  23. Clarktm

Clarktm

Dido the guys on the Dash. It looks cool. Great job.

Omarsvette likes this.
  24. Clarktm

Clarktm

I had the same problem with an old Model T body. I was lucky the other guy I was with had a can of Raid.

Omarsvette likes this.
  25. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

You know I thought it had been done befor but I never seen it. I was nervous people would not like the idea. I was more nervous bout the dash. Mainly cuz I've never seen it done and didn't know if it would be tacky. I saw one guy use something similar in a 30 model A truck but his was cooler. The speedo was like a globe that turn, a big globe.

26. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

I'll take more photos of the windshield, and thank for the replies guys. I plan on getting a pan hard on by next Sunday then painting the rear and bars. Then I'll work on the fron suspension. Hopefully all on and chassis paint by New Years.

27. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

image.jpeg image.jpeg I finished welding brackets and painting the rear end. Haven't set the pan hard bar yet. I'll do that when the body is on.

only thing is the right is taller by 3/4in, can't figure it out. Visually you can't tell, only when measured.

AHotRod likes this.
  28. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Ok I found it, little ring that holds the shock in place slip out but still a quarter off.

29. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  30. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

The passenger side coil over is at a slightly different angle than the driver’s, maybe that’s the 1/4” ?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.