Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration how many would you own?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, Nov 29, 2018.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i was watching tv and saw a nice house with a driveway with very little property. that got me thinking about my place with a 1/4 acre and 22 cars and a bunch of 'glass bodies and molds. i have seen threads about how many cars do you own and such? do people have only one project because of their property limits? so, if you have a small place would you own more projects with a bigger place?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

A quarter acre with 22 cars?! Holy crap! I thought my 3/4 acre with 3 dailies and 3 hot rods/projects was tight.

3. I have had multiple projects and know people that have 3 or more projects and nothing to drive.

I learned a long time ago to get rid of all the projects except the one you really want to build, when I set this idea in motion I was driving that car in less than 6 months unlike the prior 6 years with 4 unfinished projects and not having the money to work on any of them.

I now have two drive-able old cars and a 50 Ford coupe that should be a driver by the first of the year. one at a time for me. HRP

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    seb fontana, patmanta, LSGUN and 9 others like this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The cost of registration per vehicle here would kill you, over $1,000.00 annually for a single V8 car. Limited or club registration is a lot less however it all adds up once you factor in comprehensive insurance per vehicle!

5. Nah. With 2 daily drivers to maintain, even if I had more room I think I'd still only have my one hot rod.

AHotRod, Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. 18 currently
    Mostly projects/parts grazing in the back yard
    Used to be about twice that
    Car addictions getting better
    I’m glad I only have a couple of acres

Forgot the 2 tractors

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes.
    It's living-space physics...
    You always end up with more stuff after you move to a bigger place.

LOU WELLS, 57 Fargo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And then when you move again, you're like...
    How the hell did I end up with so much stuff ?!?!? Lol.

9. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I have four acres and no real pain in the butt neighbors......I could stash a lot of cars out here before it would become an issue. BUT I try to keep it to only an amount I can keep under covered storage. I don't want to be one of those guys who stashes cars all over the property, they sit in the rain and eventually rot into the ground. Now if I had a bigger building to store cars in....then it would be a different story. lol

scotty t, belair and Hombre like this.
  10. Let’s just say I have 17 acres.....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17 acres.
    Let's see...say an average of 5 cars per acre...
    5 x 17...carry the 3...
    Holy shit!

VANDENPLAS and chevy57dude like this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

If I had more space than the half acre I have now I'd build a two story barn. Let the asshole neighbors guess what is inside. Bob

13. squirrel

squirrel

having 4 acres, I have to really watch myself....

(I already have a school bus and a bread truck, waiting patiently for me to tinker with them)

14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've had a mental architectural design (occupational hazard) fermenting for the past few weeks. It's turning around parking for 10 cars or so on 1/9 of an acre, primarily because parking structures don't count for bulk under the local zoning scheme. I can't afford to build the house, though, nor the other eight cars.

15. Told the Queen I'd keep it all inside when we bought this property.
    So the shop has room for 3. That's all I can handle anyhow, even sold the ones stashed in a friend's barn.

16. badvolvo

badvolvo

30 acres, seven cars. Guess i can get more!

17. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Was one of those guys. 14 cars on a 1/2 acre plus 4 daily’s.
    Finally realized I was one of “those guys “
    Saving cars that were sitting and rotting only to have them sitting and rotting on my property along with the vermin problem.
    Sold them all and built a nice driver.

Tim, Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Acre and a third here,, and 21 cars with plenty of room for more. not counting quads, side by sides or dirt bikes.

I was told by co-workers I have a sickness. I don't believe them after reading couple post here :)

stillrunners and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

With few exceptions I try to keep it limited to inside storage that currently includes 4 driving registered cars, one project, and one parts car.

I always say most normal people have a single car that they give all thier attention to. To be honest the maintenance on the 4 registered cars and trying to move a project along is time consuming and nothing gets all the attention it needs.

Still I do enjoy the variety in terms of driving them and the hands on learning that comes from dealing with the engineering done by different manufacturers at different times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. lake_harley

lake_harley

We have 8 acres but really only make use of about 3 or 4 of them. We have two daily drivers but also have an older "beater" Vette to add a fun factor to daily driving. Then there's the completed T roadster, a '31 coupe just getting underway and as soon as it's done (whatever that ends up being) I want to build another T or possibly an A roadster. Add to that 3 motorcycles that are regular riders and a "fossil" Harley and I have about as many vehicles that I care to say grace over. Everything other than my Tahoe daily driver is garaged.

I have a limited (by many people's standards) inventory of parts and components, but every once in a while I realize I have accumulated way more stuff than I'll ever make use of and do a purge. Of course it's just a matter of time until my focus and interests switch to something else (like the airplane I built) and it's back to the accumulate and purge cycle.

Lynn

21. I have had 9 cars at one time, actually working projects were 3. It spreads me too thin. I'd consider 2 projects cars at the max. Right now my work area is cramped and I'd like to have more comfort to work in if I add a 2nd car.

22. I have a small lot in a subdivision (with an HOA:mad: ) and a one car garage (~14x22) the tools, hot rod, and motorcycle fill the garage to the point that I can barely work on any of the 4 daily drivers in the family. Anytime I want to do something like welding, or polishing I have to move the motorcycle and then back the hot rod out. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that as soon as the youngest is out of college (about 18 months) we will be building our final house on a much larger lot with a much bigger garage. I told the wife that the minimum is equal number of car bays as bedrooms. currently the negotiation is at a 3 bedroom house with 2 bays attached for our dailies and a 3 bay detached with a lift... We shall see how that plays out....
    So yeah, if I had more space I would have more projects...there are one or two car projects I would like to take on before I head to that great rod round up in the sky.
    Chappy

23. topher5150

topher5150

I have an old farm house sitting on a half acre right next to a development. Anything more than the two daily drivers, and a hot rod might be frowned upon by those in the subdivisions. Now I really regret not getting that house right next to a HOA.

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  24. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I told my wife that we should buy some more land so I could bring home more cars. She kicked me it the balls and said here's a couple of "achers" for ya!

25. Came home with a big dump truck one day.
    Wife asked why
    I said cause I have never owned one before
    Parked it by the shop and used to to drive to the store and cruise around the neighborhood
    Next door neighbor put up a nice tall fence

26. .................OUCH!!!!!!:eek:

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

We were looking at Google Earth one day and decided to check out a pal's house in a city housing tract. Pretty funny, looking from above, all the houses on his and surrounding streets showed the roof of the houses, then grass back and side yards, trees, couple cars in the driveway, usual stuff. Sticking out like balls on a dog was his property, cars covering every square foot of the back, sides and even front yards. Any space not big enough for a car had a pile of parts.

Funny that is, until I looked at my place..Hey, look at all those swimming pools! Oops, blue tarps.

alanp561, Kan Kustom and squirrel like this.
  28. 29moonshine

29moonshine

I have a acre with 4 driving cars and 2 daily drivers every thing is inside . it drives me up the walls to see a good project setting out in the weather for 3or4 yrs

KoolKat-57 and AHotRod like this.
  29. I have 8 future projects in a building, more outside with parts vehicles, it’s possible to have multiple cars without being a junkyard, in fact you can’t even tell I have them when you drive in my yard

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. squirrel

squirrel

One advantage of having some land out in the country, you can put up buildings. The bus and bread truck are the only ones outside...the 6 car garage has 6 cars in it, and the shop has room for four (if I were to get rid of all the stuff), it has one car in it now.

Right now there are no cars in the barn, only parts.

KoolKat-57 and classiccarjack like this.