Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 365 Cadillac Engines in a 26/27 Model T Coupe.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Nov 28, 2018.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I'm considering a future project using my 365 Cadillac engine and would prefer it in a 26/27 T coupe body.
    No fenders and possibly channelled.
    I'd like to see some pic's and hear a few stories that folks my offer to get me started.

Torkwrench likes this.
  2. goldmountain

goldmountain

Build a hood and lie about what's under it. I don't understand why what make and model of engine really does to the car as far as the overall aesthetics of it. IMG_1146.JPG

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks for your unhelpful reply which does nothing to answer my request.

4. town sedan

town sedan

There are those who pick the power plant and build the car around it. But I agree that life would be far easier if we all used the traditional 350/350/9" package.
    -Dave

gearhead1600 and warbird1 like this.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

It would be nice if we could just stay on topic and let a guy receive the information sort.
    I have the motor and am considering using it in a T coupe and it would be nice to see a couple of pic's for ideas and inspiration...

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend. As penance, I looked through my old magazines looking for such a creature and found nothing. Is Olds close enough for your imagination to take over? Scan-181128-0002.jpg

gearhead1600, town sedan and fiftyv8 like this.
  7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks for your input, yes it could be.
    You are forgiven my son, read two hot rod magazines and do an extra hour in your shop and you will remain a good hot rodder.
    I am trying to reconcile how the height of the Caddy engine will work with a channelled body and of course how folks cope with a short radiator cooling such a big block etc...

I've never been a real fan of the top of a radiator grille shell sitting higher than the cowl top.

Proportions can make or break a good build IMHO.

8. desotot

desotot

you guys must be roaming catholics :D

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Bush Baptist and still praying for pic's as requested...

Nice to have a bit of fun between old car stuff.

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Anybody know where to look for the oil sender unit on these engines???

11. fatkoop

fatkoop

More than 50 years ago, I put a 365 Caddy in my 29 A sedan. I used the original Jet-Away trans. Left the engine stock, but it ran so good, it would surprise many street racers at the time. Huge torque, low RPM motors. Nearly indestructable. I used a modified flathead radiator, never had a cooling problem. Speed parts today are very pricey, but they are great motors. Wish I had one in my '40 instead of the boring-but-easy SBC.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ha! Dave, that's the 'package' that I 'arrived at' when my '55 F100 was my shop truck.
    Updated a little, (Vortek heads,Comp cam, Edelbrock, etc.) but the drive train is still that. Dependable. Everything just 'fits'.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  13. AndersF

AndersF

I cant remember i have seen a coupe with a Caddy mill.
    But Gary called Steel rebel here hade one in his T-bucket.
    And this is what he said about cooling the engine when we
    discussed using electric fan when i said i wanted to try a pusherfan behind the grilleshell on my build.

"I had the same problem Anders. I finally gave in and installed the dreaded electric fan and SS overflow. But when I broke the fan pulley and lost the belt it hit the fan and broke the mount. Still works though but when I get around to fixing it I plan to see if I to can find a pusher fan thin enough to fit between the radiator and grill.
    The overflow is another thing. Every time I stop my roadster it spits out a little coolant. It finally got low enough to overheat. Luckily it didn't hurt the engine. My thought about the SS overflow tank is it would be less noticeable as one of the other home made bottles. Actually now I think it looks pretty kool.
    My thought is if my roadster was built in the '50 or '60s somebody would have put these things on by now anyway.

Oh sorry about the too low radiator. I actually think it is about an inch too high.

Rebel"
    [​IMG]

And a better picture to see the size of the engine.

[​IMG]

fiftyv8 likes this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right on all, especially the 'too tall radiator' syndrome.
    Look at the old Norm Grabowski 'Lightnin' Bug', which later transcended into the 'Kookie Kar' of Hollywood TV show '77 Sunset Strip'. LOW radiator with chopped Deuce shell, Norm said the radiator was a 4-inch core, with custom tank...Heating problems at first, but when properly tuned, engine ran at 180 degrees, with a 190 thermostat.
    Regarding engine 'height', the pan is deep, but the upper block is relatively 'flat', much like a Stude V8, (there were lots of 'Studillacs', because of the easy fit, and 'low' under hood)
    Grabowski' T had a rare Horne intake manifold, with four 97s, which sat 'low'...Cragar made a similar intake, also low...but Horne was lowest.
    'Steel Rebel' on here (Anders' previous post!...Sorry, was typing when he posted. Read it, and the pics will verify engine and radiator height.)
    I'd have to suggest building a model kit, using a Revell 'T' sedan body, and a Model A frame; channel the body just like you would the Coupe. There's a Cad Eldorado kit good for the engine, also on EBay under Revell junk yard or Parts, some all chrome ENGINES only kits, Cadillac, Pontiac, Ford 406 and SBC are available.
    These are NOT toys, they are scale models, that a 'designer' or builder would use.
    This is how you would get your perfect proportions. It worked for me...Many times.
    My shop was always packed too full of Porsche & BMW customers 'pay jobs' to set up full size projects and move things around sufficiently to get an eye on the right profile, engine placement, etc.
    The model gave me the 'gross picture', so the rest was easily fitted on my chassis jig.

fiftyv8 likes this.