Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pre War Lake racing w/Customs 8mm Film

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrd32, Dec 14, 2011.

1. .Thanx for that Larry.Guitar sounds like Ry Cooder.

2. 296ardun

296ardun

It doesn't matter if it was posted before (it was), great to post it again, obviously lots of HAMBers didn't see it the first time, so thanks for posting .... if that's not Ry Cooder on guitar, it should be.

Lots of great famous cars, Danny Sakai in the first shots, was that the Spaulding Bros. in the OHV V-8 with what looks like a blower?? Bob Rufi, a neat Bugatti, and a bunch of customs -- the '38 phaeton was special...was the chopped '40 with blanked windows Tom Hocker's?

Can't get enough of this history, really appreciate the post!

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

If you look below in the description, it says Show More. More info shows and it says Artist: Skip James.

pat59 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Damn I forgot about him.Again great film.

3wLarry likes this.
  5. HEMI32 likes this.
  6. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i recognized a couple of them--was that earl bruce with the 40 ford coupe with the filled-in rear quarter windows--didn't they call it the "armored car?" and what about the guy with the bugatti? my dad grew up there and lived it until the depression forced a move to chicago in 1931. he finally went back in '68 and found that the old street where he and his buddies raced was replaced by the burbank studios!

7. Yeah that is Earl Bruce '40. The Bugatti was Tommy Lee's as well as the '35 indy car and the Kurtis Offy special.

8. Very cool film!

I witnessed a suprisingly close re-creation of this film last weekend! The only stark differences were the absence of customs adjacent to the course and the presence of water! Troglodytes agree?

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - a shot of Old Harper is always good for the soul

10. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

11. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Jimmy B, pre war dry lakes experts, et all,

I'm looking for information on the following Bugatti pictured below. The racing number '415' is very visible.
    As can be seen in the film, Tommy Lee was also present in his Bugatti with an allocated racing number '414'.
    Is there a possibility that this car was also entered at the same meeting? Is there any mention in the SCTA programs?

12733967_969154013161359_4786208529755801888_n.jpg

12. oj

oj

It would be nice if one of the historians would put together a 'Tommy Lee' biography, that would be a good read.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

14. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

THAT WAS SO ---- COOL -- thanks 4 your time on the POST - EX -:D:D :cool::cool:

15. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

my time on the HAMB is

16. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

17. I can't be certain but it is probable that it is Tommy Lee's. Because of the different number it was likely run by a friend of Tommy's. That high a number would indicate a guess entry which is why it also changes. As has been mentioned Tommy's Bugatti Type-51 is still around so to is his Teardrop Talbot-Lago.

18. On occasion I get requests to use parts of this footage in people's film projects. Some of those projects are cool, others not. Recently I provided footage for a very worthy project. It will appear down the road on the Historical Vehicle Association's website in their "This Car Matters" series.

In any case, it's been awhile since this popped up on the HAMB, so for you guys that like vintage racing... bump.

Jimmy B likes this.
  19. Thanks for the bump, still the best prewar film ever.

20. That taillight is a '41 Cad, so this photo is probably from a later meet

The37Kid likes this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is an extra cowl flair on the passenger side of that Bugatti. Something different about the hood side louvers too. Bob

22. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Tommy also held private meets with his friends, the picture could be from one of those meets. He had several Bugatti's and three Miller Fords along with three Talbot Lagos. Of the Talbot Lagos, one is in the Peterson Museum, one in the Nethercutt collection and one private hands. In the Isky book, Isky recalls at one of the meets Isky was at one Bugatti was totaled when it flipped. He was another Howard Hues, and he also had a P-38 after the war along with other airplanes.

23. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

awesome footage. thanks.

24. David Zivot

David Zivot

A follow up to my Oct. 11th '13 posting...When I originally obtained the Stack Cragar, and other mechanical and drivetrain components that were part of his pre war build, the seller informed me that the body and chassis still existed. After four years of advertising for the whereabouts of same in many forums, I was contacted by a fellow who claimed he had traded Wes Cooper for the body and chassis somewhere around 1964. After speaking with the guy by telephone for 8 weeks, I finally went to inspect it in person. It appears (by all of the individual and unique details) to in fact be the Stack car. It is, and has been a "street rod" since the 60's....( red ,black diamond tuft, sbc etc.)At the time the guy did not want to sell regardless of my explanations and pleadings about correct restoration, reuniting the parts to make the original whole, or references to "history" or "significance"... He just did not care...This was last year, The situation has changed and it is now available. I will follow up later when there is news.

Stogy and Joemama like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see your post in this thread (on second search I found it...:D)...but it's sounds as if the passion to get this original configuration together may be unfolding...great news...and thanks for bringing this back to the top...just watched that video again it really covers so much of what we celebrate here...

David a couple of questions for you...

1) Do you have a picture to share of the Stack Hotrod you are trying to reconfigure/resurrect in its heyday?

2) Since you corrected a connection to another Hotrod identified as the Stack Owned in error was it actually in the Harper Video shown here and if so could you give reference to where?

Thanks in advance.

I have found this thread in which you have posted a pic which is a Model A roadster?...Is that the one you are referring to getting back?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/actor-robert-stack-eliot-ness-gow-job-1938.368869/page-2

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  26. Joemama

Joemama

Can't wait to hear what happens.

Stogy likes this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

David, Great news, hope you find enough earmarks to confirm the car really is the Stack Roadster. As with all Vintage Race Cars there are fingerprints, just hope the Street Rodding didn't erase them. I still have that issue of Hot Rod I bought in 1961 and always liked the look of the Roadster. Best wishes, Bob

Stogy likes this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

That Bugatti is a Type 51, and sold at auction within the last few years. Bob

https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/chassis/2001/Bugatti-Type-51-Grand-Prix-51154.html

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018