Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 9" diff info please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by USMercUte, Nov 25, 2018.

1. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

O.K. I am getting old and I'm a dumb-shit. I bought a very nice 4:11 locker 9" to go in my Phaeton project which has a Versailles 9" housing. Only problem is that the carrier is early enough and does not have a level/fill plug. The Versailles housing also does not have a fill plug and of course I had the assembly together before the light came on that I don't have fill access. I am thinking that if I knew the actual gear oil capacity for an original fill I would fill it through one axle. I would only be screwed if I lost a wheel seal at a later date. What are your thoughts on doing it this way and does anyone know the capacity of an original fill on the Versailles housing? I realize this is not the correct solution, what are your thoughts?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

2.5-3 quarts should be fine, make sure you add additive for limited slip clutches. Possibly add fill bung on top side of back side of housing, or slowly add through vent hole.

squirrel and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Check on your 4:11 housing, there should be a “ boss” that is where Ford drilled it for a plug. Simply drill tap and plug.

Bones

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Yep, that would be my choice. That 'boss' will be on the drivers side of the pumpkin, center the fill hole on it. Most any decent machine shop can do this for probably less than what it will cost you to buy the drill/tap (3/8" NPT). I'd be real tempted to install a drain plug in the housing while I was at it too....

Montana1 and Hnstray like this.

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I'd fill it through the axle housing. I use two bottles.

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You can also fill through the vent hole, but it is rather slow.

7. No real problem with your situation as pointed out by others several solutions. If you add a drain plug, I have, 1/4"
    pipe plug I never placed them directly on the bottom but on the side of the pumpkin housing so they can't get broken off if you ever run over something. You can drain the majority of the gear oil through it and not make a mess yet when the chunk is removed if need be drain the remainder contained by the flange.

Just Gary likes this.
  8. OH SH@T I need to check mine!

9. BTDT.... The problem is even if you get the initial fill correct, how do you check it? Get any sort of leak, and how do you determine how much to add? Without draining it, you'll be guessing... and you don't have a drain either. Add too much, it'll puke it out the vent or take out an axle seal.

57 Fargo and Hnstray like this.
  10. Binkman

Binkman

Been there,done that.
    I pulled the pumpkin and did it right.
    There are enough unexpected problems down the line, adding one more that you know about makes it hard to sleep at night.

Montana1 likes this.
  11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

One of two answers is probably easiest , both require removing the stump . One as stated is drill and tap the boss on the stump , this requires disassembly of the gears to do it correctly . Next is drill and weld a bung to the rear of the housing for a fill plug . There are many companies that sell bung and plug kit just for this . I like the second choice , after completed any stump will work and you will not ever have to drill and tap another stump . By the way , I don’t know how you are installing the stump , but if under the car removing the pinion support and pinion makes it a bunch lighter . Just bolter back up with the shims after the stump is bolted in .

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG] upload_2018-11-26_20-54-10.png
    Drill and tap, saves you all the grief when checking fluid levels later.

13. You now have the information . Do the best thing, drill & tap.

14. I'm good to go!