Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects You got to start somewhere!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tooth, Nov 18, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    48.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Other

18 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. 31

19 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. 32

7 vote(s)
    8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

'33-'34 ford 3 windows have a lot of wood... when I last pieced one together I made the steel replacement sections, thinner and narrower by 3/8"...
    This let me drill and tap it so I could anchor hardwood molding from Lowes to it...
    Now the upholsterer can tack what he needs where he needs...
    1996-'97 no pix....HIH.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    bondojunkie and 46international like this.
  2. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

If you're gonna build a fenderless hot rod, put it on a set of deuce rails...easier to find. Here's a '31 3W using aftermarket '32 Ford frame. 1931 Chevy Coupe 3.jpg

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but.... I have learned one thing from tooth already. How too run up your post count :p.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Just messing with you. Looks I a cool project. Have fun.

5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Don’t let these guys scare you , shouldn’t take you 6mo to do the tubing work I built a whole 32 coupe with paint in a year

I like to cut that ugly stock firewall out and put a 14ga flat one in , makes life easier , next shorten the wheel base to about 108” depending on motor , get chassis somewhat squared away and start building body , I used 18ga 3/4 “ tube .. forms fairly well and fits in smaller areas

I’d probably look for a 32 cowl that includes header panel on roof as it looks better and will make life a little easier not dealing with sun visor transitions

kidcampbell71 and F&J like this.
  6. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

50's-60's

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

8. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Thanks for the info, I have a lot of research on this one! Going to be a hoot.

9. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Columbia...

10. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

That's why I'm here! Good stuff!

11. 32owner

32owner

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outside of the visor and the area around it there isn't a hell of a lot of difference between a 31 and a 32 Chevy 5 window coupe. 1931-Chevy-side.jpg 32 Chev 5window.jpg

wheeldog57 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. oldolds

oldolds

Nobody pointed it out yet. '31 Chevy 3 door hinges, square tops, '32 Chevy 2 door hinges door tops round at front. No visor on '32. The bead on the fenders is different between the 2 years as well.
    I think this runs true on the entire GM line-up in those years.

triman62 likes this.
  14. Good start to a project. I have a '35 Chevy 2 door sedan. It is a mix of original wood framing, and replacement steel framing in the doors. Hard to do it correctly, unless you over think and over engineer it...then it's a breeze.

BTW, I hope you didn't pay '32 Ford money for a '32 Chevy.

15. oldsman41

oldsman41

It’s a chebby and looks quite nice, you have to get rid of the wood like most everyone said i used 1x1 steel in one and it turned out real nice imho. I get the jest on the hemi but a 31 Chrysler is a beautiful looking car.

16. Hombre, pigfluxer, triman62 and 12 others like this.
  17. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Actually from what I've seen in the research I've done I got a pretty good deal on it. There's a guy in Nebraska who has a 31 frame for the Chevy but he wants too much money for it, and he also is trying to sell me a motor that I don't want! He then told me that it didn't seem like he had anything that I really liked or wanted so see you. I didn't really ask for his opinion just about frame. I'll find one and it'll be fairly close. Thanks for your interest

18. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

19. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I've been looking into that, and I've seen where some people had talked about pinching the frame. I assume that's narrowing a little bit. I've also seen where there have been measurements listed for 31 frame on the hamb. Speedway Motors has a lot of stuff would you recommend their parts? Thanks for your interest! Tooth

20. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

great looking body. you only need to pinch if you're body is too narrow for the rails (like an A is for a set of 32 (B model) rails. How wide is a 32 Chev at the firewall? Also, think about what suspension you want … chevs have a parallel setup and ford a transverse spring.

21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I have a frame, $200.00 but live in Maine.

22. bct

bct

chevy frames are worth about $75 around here .

23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

oppps… that,and how far away I am, means I better toss a model A body on it ...

Maicobreako likes this.
  24. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Well shit... I heard it’s impossible to build a traditional hotrod without a cad, cnc, or a tig welder... read it on the internet... must be true

Neat old Chevy , btw

biggeorge, chubbie and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Great looking car but looks super dangerous if , that car ever got a flat tire you would be skating down the freeway on the frame rails for sure

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  26. Hahaha!

27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Why don't you two just get a room & just STFU? The rest of us want to see the car, not a P*****g contest!

28. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

X2...

LW

29. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hang in there Tooth, it gets better. :)

30. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I'm waiting on my rodders journal 31 Chevy build Book, checking over options on exactly how I want to do it. You got a lot of nice parts to be welded in where did you get your ideas? A friend of mine has a 29 Chevy frame I thought about getting it and pinching it or stretching it or widening it whatever I need for the body and using it. After looking at all the builds people sent me in the threads I'm getting more and more excited about starting my build, yesterday I spent all day putting new sheet metal Parts in my 54 Chevy half ton pickup. It's really tempting to pull my 31 out in the middle of floor and start measuring and drawing up a plan but it won't be long cuz it's in line to be done soon, I see you're in Kansas City maybe sometime I can stop by if I'm in the area and check it out I live in Columbia about an hour and a half away. Take care and build build build

cactus1 likes this.