Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Is there an engine you just love?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Caballo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. 4tford

4tford

Well number 1) would be 392 Hemi my 40 Ford 2) 440 in my Dodge 3) 350 in the Chevelle but 396 would be a plus
    Also 409 chevy and 427 FE would make my list.

Deuces likes this.
  2. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Ones that run and stay running-L79 near top of list, but of topic ls power by a long shot.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  3. unkamort

unkamort

What? Nobody wants to stand up for the 351? Fully skirted crank, shrouded T/chain, high nickle content and forged cranks. A simple fix to the oil system and you have a block that is virtually bullet proof, and with the right heads capable of producing some serious power at high RPM. Since I'm in the mood... the derivative '400' delivers torque by the bucket load with its long arm architecture. Don't believe it? Check out the "Engine Masters" series.

Deuces, Oldb, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  4. I'll get back with you after I finally get to drive my '50 Ford w/t a 351 more than just in and out of the shop, I sounds great I just need to finish the brakes. HRP

Deuces likes this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Right there with ya!

20161228_104047.jpg

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Back in May, I wrote about the 283 and the 348 because we were involved with both motors in the height of our hot rod years. But, recently, I sent a friend a movie copy of my favorite race car from Lions Dragstrip from 1958 to 60. There was this unusual sound coming from a very sleek dragster. But it was coming from the rear, not the front.

This race car and team was one of our favorites during that time. That chain drive and big Hemi sound was something to see and hear, especially up close.

original sidewinder 1958-59

The aluminum formed body panels glistened in the sun and the motor was one of Joe Mailliard’s powerful creations. It was the silvery, sleek, Sidewinder from the stables of Paul Nicolini and Joe Mailliard. (A So Cal local racer, builder and machinist.)

The fun thing (and maybe that is why we loved this race car) was that it was usually located near our Long Beach house. Joe Mailliard’s Machine Shop/Speed Shop was just a short bicycle pedal away. We saw all kinds of racers with their race cars here at the shop during the week. It was “home” for them.

But, the “one thing” was the tell tale sign that the Sidewinder was firing up and rolling towards the starting line. The sound… Here is the actual sound of the 1959 Sidewinder blown hemi, firing up, rolling to the line and making final adjustments prior to blasting down the strip. This is just not an ordinary strong blown Hemi motor. Add in everything about the race car and it is very impressive, while it stays with you forever. The sound brings back everything from back then, in time.

Sidewinder sound, blown Hemi start and run. 1959 film at Lions and sound from 1959 months later at the Detroit Nationals.

Jnaki

Excerpts from earlier posts.

Ron Funkhouser and Petejoe like this.
  7. oj

oj

My favorite is the tall deck 427 chevy, the truck motor. It was the 'modern' equivalent of the old hemi, heavyduty internals, forged crank, 4bolt mains. Just throw a set of heads, cam and whatever you wanted on top from carb to blower and go racin. Them motors had heart.
    My current favorite is this little V8-60 motor I got sittin here, its just the neatest little thing!

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Ford Y-blocks and FE's at the top of the list. Followed by big block Mopars, early Cads and Olds. Hmm, never thought about it before but they all have shaft-type rocker arms... don't like those engines that have the "other" types.

Deuces, loudbang and morac41 like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Boutlaw, excellent choice! Where did you get that killer front FEMount?

Bones

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

312 Thunderbird Special
    289 271 HiPo
    428 Cobra Jet
    That’s the order I owned them........still do.

Bones

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  11. farmer12

farmer12

My 392 Hemi!
    Eric's EFI 392 Hemi 201.jpg

Deuces, mgtstumpy, j-jock and 9 others like this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

How about a high winding small block or an L-88???? :cool:

Tooth, Shadow Creek, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  13. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Rat on!

Attached Files:

14. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Love the torque, puts you in the seat, sings a great love song!

Attached Files:

15. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

16. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  17. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

You mention L-88, the heads are 69 pair of L-88/ZL1 3946074 castings! Rat on!

18. morac41

morac41

Jaguar are awesome........ Jaduar engine.jpg

mgtstumpy, mkebaird and Deuces like this.
  19. My favorites are: 327 Chevy, 331 Cad, 303 Olds, 383/440 Mopar. But the one that I really love is the 283 Chevy.

Of course there is the Merlin engine in a P-51 but that is a little OT.

20. My trusty old 350 horse 396 was also great for outrunning cars with bigger engines, but I was running 4:57 gears in the rear end and big street tires. However, I love any engine that makes over 400 hp. I have a couple of cars with 454s, and a couple with FEs, and I love them all.
    I also ran Olds and Buick engines, and found them to be reliable. I love the 392, 426, and 440 engines, but I have never owned anything MOPAR.
    Bob

Elcohaulic, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  21. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

Just something about the Chrysler HEMI's but I also like the B/ RB big block Chrysler engine's .

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  22. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Big Block Chevrolet with orange painted valve covers....

Attached Files:

• 427 .jpg
      427 .jpg
      File size:
      282.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  23. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

And I thought that I was the odd man out for feeling this way. The 383 was the most common Mopar big block encountered on the street back in the day. As such, it's responsible for a great deal of Chrysler's legendary status among street racers. The 383 (and the 400) make for fearsome stroker engines that will hunt down and best most 440 cars.

Hot Rod magazine did a fantastic feature a few years ago, pitting a Chevy 383 stroker against a Chrysler 383 that Steve Dulcich put together in a few hours, mostly from used parts sitting on a shelf. Most of the crew sat around waiting for the Chevy to vanquish the Chrysler B engine and collect their winnings from the bets placed. They even referred to the Mopar engine as "garbage". Dulcich's little junkyard big block smoked the Chevy. Chrysler's B motor gets my vote.

Hot Rod:
    https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/383-chevy-vs-383-mopar/0_gyezfgtn/

das858, paul philliup and loudbang like this.
  24. X2 On the 383 B..... But I still would take a well tuned LA 340 MOPAR ! & of course can't forget the LA 318..Toughest little V8 made.. (I grew up in dad's 69 383 4spd. Roadrunner... "Fastest car in town" ..according to him) (Ps: I just Happen to have a "Built" 340 sitting on a dolly just waiting ....I hope to have it running & driving by May....
    as a birthday present to myself :))

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    paul philliup, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  25. I like lots of them, and I like mine. Sometimes .:eek::) WIN_20170423_12_31_50_Pro.jpg

26. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

This One Turns My Crank... 1965-Corvette-fuel-injected-engine-2_a.jpg

enloe, j-jock, olscrounger and 9 others like this.
  27. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

My current favorite is the Model A banger. Mostly because it's what I'm currently working on, but also because of the history, and it's primitive, honest nature. Mine's no showpiece, but It's mine.
    IMG_20181123_091206255.jpg

28. Ottomotive

Ottomotive
    from Arkansas

B/Gas 57 Pontiac 347CID bored to 370CID coyote pontiac.jpeg . Spaulding Flamethrower, #10 McKellar heads and cam kit with 1.65 rocker arms, Jahns pistons. 2.20 low Corvette three speed, 5.13 posi 56 Chevy rear end. 115mph and 12.7 ET. Raced in Arkansas and Tennessee 1961 and 1962. I still have it.

Stogy, Elcohaulic, j-jock and 6 others like this.