Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Oregon's World of Speed Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TerrytheK, Nov 21, 2018.

1. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent some time in Portland OR a few weeks ago visiting my sister and family; rolling along the freeway I saw this big sign that read "World of Speed". I was a little limited on time but they were only too happy to drop me off there for a couple hours the next day.
    Yep, brought my camera..... :cool:
    To get things going, this is Mickey Thompson's Challenger I. It was part of a group of Mickey's cars that were on loan as a temporary display.
    DSC_2014_1000.jpg
    DSC_2041_600.jpg
    DSC_2039_1000.jpg

And the "Jado Special":
    DSC_2036_1000.jpg

There were a number of historic Pacific Northwest cars - I'm guessing most of you have seen these Dodge-bodied RP's around a time or two! Seem to recall that TRJ did a feature on the pair?
    DSC_2094_1000.jpg

And in this corner, the Ed McCulloch-driven "Northwind" top fueler!
    DSC_2112_800.jpg

Another native Northwest racer - sign identified this as the Kalivoda-Hamlin hemi-powered '23-T. I'd seen pics of it before, recognized the car but had no background until I read the info.
    DSC_2090_1000.jpg

There was no info or signage on this one that I saw, but it sure looked familiar. Dug through my copy of "Portland Pictorial - The 1950's" by Albert Drake and I'm wondering if this isn't the original Wayne Mahaffey built '35 Phaeton that's pictured in that book? Sure looks like it.... maybe some of you Portland HAMB'ers can confirm. Beautiful car.
    DSC_2118_1000.jpg
    There was lots to see, if you want to see more of it you can check out my gallery:
    https://www.terrysgarage.com/p664743114
    Just so you know, as in the museum itself, there is O/T stuff in the photo gallery but it's all pretty cool. I dig pretty much anything internal combustion so it was easy to use up a couple hours just nosing around. Many of the displays are "rotated" or changed out on a regular basis; they were just putting the finishing touches on a display of Harley Davidson motorcycles that will be up for awhile. Totally worthwhile place to visit. I'll definitely stop back next time I'm in the Portland area, and I'll probably just let the relatives think I'm there to see them! :rolleyes:
    Happy Thanksgiving!

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I guess I better get my butt over there.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  3. Camm

Camm

Yes, that is Wayne's car.

TerrytheK likes this.

4. catdad49

catdad49

Wow, some History right there! I'm saving the rest of your pics for Friday ( no shopping for me)! Thanks, have a Great holiday.

Deuces likes this.
  5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thank You ! Great Pic's, Cars, History

Deuces likes this.
  6. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the treat !

Deuces likes this.
  7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful. Love that Hemi T

Deuces likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very Cool - Thanks

9. dwollam

dwollam

It is a great place to visit! Not huge but lots of really cool stuff.

Dave

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It wasn't always beautiful, these are from 1954 and 60, neat car and cool cat, Dick Kalivoda. kalivoda 1.jpg Kalivoda 1960.jpg

11. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

I'm close.... didn't know the place existed. Where is it located?

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Wilsonville Oregon . They have a web site as well.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I have been to it. When I was there the featured cars were Indy style cars. Lots of famous cars. A STP turbo, a car Fangio campaigned, etc. Well worth the time and cost

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool and worth a day trip for me.
    As a young teenager I saw Dick Kalivoda race at Pacific race ways, SIR or what ever it was called when it was first open along with the Northwind dragster.
    There was a little hole in wall cafe on the old Renton/Kent highway known as Innies that was a favorite stopping place for a number of the racers on Sunday mornings before a race and was my dad's and my favorite breakfast place.
    Here is the link to the website for the World of Speed Museum. http://www.worldofspeed.org/

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  15. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Stopped by there this summer & had a blast. My favorite car was the Champ Car Andy Granatelli was nearly killed in @ Indy in '47. He had the fasted car at the speedway until they muffed up the cam timing (according to his book, see photo)
    Absolute best part was our docent, a retired guy. "Where you from?" Milwaukee. "I went to school there, MSOE".
    Graduated & went to work for Thiokol"
    He was fluent in all things Mickey & Pontiac (reason for going) Granatelli & Studebaker, Williamm Paxton McCulloch, SCCA. Etc, Etc.
    Dude was a real rocket scientist. Really, he was a rocket scientist!
    " IMG_0720.JPG

16. The Kool part is that the vast majority of what get's displayed there is North West cars with history. This corner of the Country was and still is a Hot Bed for gear heads of all kinds. A lot of better known names in the 1/4 mile game didn't want to come up here and didn't like it when our guys went to them. Those were good times. Ed was always on his mark. Here's a photo few will ever see, the Ace sitting it the Car that started it all one more time.
    images.jpg

17. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

My friends and I stopped there in 2016 on the way home from the Northwest Deuce Days event . It was fairly new back then but had a nice display of assorted race cars . The collection was nicely displayed with a few well done dioramas and specialty exhibits . Perhaps we will stop by again on the way back from next years NWDD . IMG_1561.JPG IMG_1534.JPG IMG_1547.JPG IMG_1549.JPG

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's one great bunch of really cool stuff...@TerrytheK for starting the ball rolling and the others for topping it up...;)

TerrytheK and Deuces like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It's only nine miles from me, I guess I should check it out!

20. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for confirming that, great to know and very cool to know that car's still around!

Thanks to all of you for adding your comments, input, and especially the pictures. @41rodderz, @downlojoe33 , @DDDenny, and anybody else in the neighborhood that hasn't seen it, yeah you should make the trip!

According to the docent (Peter) that I talked to when I was there, the World of Speed has been open about 3-1/2 years now so it's relatively new.

21. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the shot of the Deuces in front of the building. According to Peter, the docent at the museum that day, one of the previous displays at World of Speed included Indy 500 race cars that had never been out of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum prior to that. I'm thinking your pic might be of that display? At any rate, cool pics - thanks for posting!

22. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, I really liked that car as well, I have a few other pics of it posted in my gallery. Standing next to the car, you can almost feel the history.
    Looking at your avatar, was the '63 Avanti LSR racer there when you were? Paxton supercharged, 216 mph at Bonneville!
    And there's your "Word of the Day" - "docent". I never knew what that meant until I met one the day I was there! His name was Peter, super nice guy and super knowledgeable, great to talk to.

23. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Something else at the World of Speed that I thought was fun - a recreation of an older neighborhood speed shop. You may remember some of these, they used to be around in the days "B.S."
    ( "B"efore "S"ummit!! :rolleyes::( )

DSC_2154_1000.jpg
    DSC_2156_1000.jpg

24. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting those - those older race cars seemed to be always evolving and it's always interesting see the changes and various stages. Neater still to see that the car has survived. :)

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great display!---------Thanks for posting!-----Over in Portland 2 weeks ago, horrific traffic amid all the detours & consruction!

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Welcome to my world!

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Buckys' Speed Shop?
    Wonder if Bucky Austin has some of his parts collection on loan.

28. uncle buck

uncle buck

My thoughts too. The shop scene with the bellytank and flatheads had stuff from Old Crow Speed Shop if I remember correctly.

29. john lapp

john lapp

I pass it a couple times a month but never stopped, I'll take the grand kids there soon. TY for the pics...