Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods cutting front springs 1956 chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ozzies 57, Nov 21, 2018.

1. ozzies 57

ozzies 57

O.K. folks, please save all the judging, advice, and other options. in fact i know all of that. I just want to cut the front springs on my 1956 chevy wagon for a year or so until I can afford the suspension I want to purchase. so stock V8 motor, front springs on a 56. how low will cutting each coil get me. I want to be lowered but not too low. like I said it is only for a while.
    If I remember right it is one inch per coil, but I figured I'd check

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

1 coil is 3'' and 2 is just right … cut half the rubber off the bump stops & drive it like a lowered car ...

bowie likes this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

there really isn't a cut and dry formula for that. The first round is wrapped closer than the rest so it will sit in the pocket better. cutting just the first coil doesn't get much, but the second coil gets a bunch. If I were you I would cut 1 1/2 coils and see how it sits. If you cut off the snubber make sure to reshape the top of it so it will give a soft hit...

4. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Start with one coil, drive it see how you like it.. and what 302GMC said cut the bump stops

Just Gary likes this.

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

Mark's correct ... a coil and a half.

dana barlow, Just Gary and Moriarity like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

cut one coil, maybe one and a quarter, drive it for a month...then cut 1/4 coil at a time after that, but repeat the driving for a month process.

Or cut a bunch off to start with, and be prepared to buy new springs, because you went too far.

7. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

What Squirrel said. The springs have to settle after each cut

64-classic660 and Just Gary like this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Did that one time on a F100. Son wanted it low, so he cut off 1 coil, not low enough. He had me cut off 2 more coils.......too much! Sat it down off the jack stands and the springs fell out of the pockets....oops! Too short! New spring time!

9. I was going to cut 2 coils but decided that I would try one coil first to see how I liked it. It lowered it 2", just right for me. So every setup is different and all coils are not the same. Remember, you can't put the metal back on the coil if you over do it.

Elcohaulic and texasred like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

short & sweet, just apply heat

11. ... and watch it drop like a rock... oooppps... done that before. Took one coil out of my Ford from the OG springs. I may give it another 1/2 in the spring since my offshore ball joint boots have shit the bed on me. Then I have to align it again most likely.

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

One coil. Shop truck so not too low.

george.jpg

13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Do 1 coil at a time. More work now, but sneak up on it. Send Pics!!

texasred likes this.
  14. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

If you fu@k up & cut too much I got a set of coils from my old 64' you can have

15. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 55 has 2 coils cut and dearched rear springs ( and a trunk full of stuff for our trip to Croatia last June)
    EBRN1417.jpg

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Love that 56!:cool: Ive also been pushing SOS pads lately so a little action on that bumper guard there wouldnt hurt:D

wvenfield likes this.
  17. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Figure out how much you want to cut then cut half of it, it will be perfect..

bobss396 likes this.
  18. Throw a spacer up top if the spring is too short.

19. This is my '59 with Aerostar springs, too low with 15" tires. Then went with the stock ones less 1 coil, a lot better.
    42-011.JPG tiki king 2018.jpg

Elcohaulic likes this.
  20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Since you're going through all the labor of removing and replacing the springs to cut them, why not toss in a set of new lowering springs? They come in 1" and 2" drop for about $90. I'm assuming your future plans will be lowering springs and spindles? If so, spend the spring money now and enjoy a good ride (over cut and stiffened 60 year old springs) for a year or so, while you save for a full suspension rebuild/upgrade.

If you cut your original springs, don't be lazy and heat with a torch, you'll take a chance of losing the temper in the springs.
    Use a cut off wheel or hacksaw. I've done them with a hacksaw and a good blade in under a minute.

21. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Do this . . .

Moriarity likes this.
  22. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That 59 is fine, and I'm a Chevrolet guy!!!!!

bobss396 likes this.