Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bone stock 32

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by koolbeans, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alchemy

alchemy

You are a little mistaken. It cannot be done. There is no way you can fit a Chevy auto transmission through the original K member without cutting. And if you want a quickchange with the original rear crossmember, the car is going to sit mile-high in the rear.

Ask reasonable questions and we will give you reasonable advice. But it sure sounds like you know it all.

2. nickk

nickk

I'm all for building a tasteful traditional hot rod, even with a car that nice. We all like different things, but this build will be far from plug and play. It seems like you'd been better off with just as nice body and a solid frame and start from there rather then buying a complete car. But a lot of your information dont add up. Either way, I hope this car is done justice no matter how its built. But there's been good points made here I'd take in consideration before you start cutting and getting to deep into it.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

If this is to be some sort of bolt-together car, you'd be way better off getting a brand new '32 chassis built to your liking.
    But that would also be a shame, considering how nice the car looks already.

4. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

This thread is extremely confusing and makes me wonder if it's for real or not! Maybe there's a language barrier? If you want to make a traditional hot rod out of it, then just put a dropped axle in it, lower the rear with a different spring, put some speed equipment on the engine and change the wheels/tires. Leave the drive train alone. IF you don't wanna do any modifications to the chassis AT ALL, then you HAVE to keep the engine/tranny cause, as other have said, a chevy auto tranny won't fit in the K member...plus it isn't traditional. And really you won't get much out of lowering the front end cause you have to modify the steering arms on the spindles. And if you put a QC in the rear, you have to modify the trunk floor and put a model A spring in it

By now, from one of your posts, the car should be at your house. So what are you doing with it?

Like I said, confusing thread

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

From the OP's profile page, just say'n!

'50 Chevy truck, '52 Morris Minor tourer (Mable), '60 Austin Healey, '61 Morris Traveller (Woodie), '65 Morris LCV (Lucy V), '57 Aquila, a few more

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. redo32

redo32

I'm still wondering what a 1957 Aquila is. I found boats, planes and mid '80's VW gullwing kit car. For the sake of the pictured 5 window I hope he is pulling our leg.

7. I fear your leg will remain un-pulled!

8. I got in, got pissed and got out......

9. koolbeans

koolbeans

For the keyboard cowboys....forums.autosport.com/210887-bill-wiswedels-end-of-summer-party-2018

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I think the best thing to do is throw away that old chassis and start with something that has better geometry.... I hear s-10s work really well

55styleliner likes this.
  12. koolbeans

koolbeans

Tell me, what doesn't add up? If you are going to bash a perfectly good recipe, be specific what you think is wrong. I asked a simple question/suggestion about a dropped axle and got no answers to the question but sure have gotten back a truck load of crap pundits none of which addressed the question.

13. alchemy

alchemy

A deep dropped axle in a stock chassis will require bending and dropping the steering arms and extensions on the spring perches to lower the brake rod mounts to align with the raised spindles. There's the answer to your first question.

But since then we've learned you are going to throw out all the original brake system, as well as much of the driveline, so I kinda wasted my time answering your question, didn't I?

It's always best to give us all the details, not cryptic hints and let us waste time giving advice for modifications that you aren't going to do.

14. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Actually you received an answer right away, from numerous people, and then you changed the parameters. :rolleyes: At least 4 people answered you including me. So again, what you’re saying you will/want to do won’t just be a bolt on process. A 2004R doesn’t just bolt into a traditional, original early chassis.

Beanscoot likes this.
  15. Your first post/question:
    The first response:
    This thread could have ended there, because that is the answer to your question, in a thread you titled BONE STOCK 32

HEMI32 and clem like this.
  16. ... and yet in your Rear axle width thread, I asked you:

Which one of George Poteet's Deuce 5wd Coupes are you referring too? ...

1) Built by Rolling Bones:

Poteet 5wd (by Rolling Bones).jpg
    2) Built by Dave Lane's FastLane Rod Shop (NOTE: '32 Roadster rear quarter panels):

Poteet 5wd (by FastLane Rod Shop).jpg
    3) Built by Moals Coachbuilders:

Poteet Roadchamp '32 5wd (by Moal Coachbuilders).jpg

... to which you replied:

You do realize that both the FastLane & Moal built cars are chopped ... and that literally hundreds of man-hours were spent fabricating / welding-up these coupe's chassis (i.e., ZERO bolt on/in custom parts)?

I see from your Facebook photo album(s) and videos that you have great fabrication and automotive restoration skills ... so I'm wondering why in this thread, you kept insisting that you can just "bolt on/in" custom parts to the stock frame to build a "low riding highboy" Deuce 5wd Coupe ... and in your other thread, you state that you ordered an aftermarket frame ready to accept an Ardun OHV Conversion (assuming a Ferguson's kit?) equipped V8 flathead, disc brakes (Johnson's Kinmont Safety Stop?), a GM 2004R transmission, and a Quick Change rearend ... ???

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the OP appears to be a card carrying UK member of the more money than good sense club. Why the hell anyone would pay the extra cash to get a bone stock 32 5 window restoration in near perfect condition only to strip it down and run it as a slammed to the ground highboy with highly altered suspension just doesn't make good sense.
    What would have made good sense was ordering a new steel 5 window body and a Rolling bones roller chassis set up for your Arden conversion and with the quick change installed. Their suspension setup might not pass UK inspection though as it is a bit suspect as far as the way it is setup meaning if you break something you end up dropping your dick in the dirt with bad results.

41rodderz likes this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I believe you hit the proverbial nail on the head:) Time for some aspirin for me:D

19. So at the end of all this backwards and forwards, is the reality that he bought a complete, restored, functioning deuce 5 window coupe...just for the body? And now all the rest is getting parted out?

I think of all the people who would love a complete car:(

And of course you can buy just a body, new or original, if that's all you want.

But, it's his money.

(Having said that, he really should have done some homework first.)

20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think this one wears hip waders . Barn boots would be too short .:D

21. From his Facebook photo album(s):

Jim Harrell's '50 Chevy Pickup.jpg
    '50 Chevy truck

Jim Harrell's '52 Morris Minor Tourer.jpg
    '52 Morris Minor tourer (Mable)

Jim Harrell's '60 Austin Healey.jpg
    '60 Austin Healey

Jim Harrell's '61 Morris Minor Traveller.jpg
    '61 Morris Traveller (Woodie)

Jim Harrell's '65 Morris Minor LCV.jpg
    '65 Morris LCV (Lucy V)

Jim Harrell's '57 Aquila in his shop (1).jpg
    Jim Harrell's '57 Aquila in his shop (2).jpg
    Jim Harrell's '57 Aquila.jpg
    '57 Aquila

Jim Harrell's '29 Hiboy (built in 1982 sold in 2006).jpg
    Jim Harrell's '29 Hiboy interior (built in 1982 sold in 2006).JPG
    Jim Harrell's '29 Hiboy side view (built in 1982 sold in 2006).JPG
    '29 Hiboy (built in 1982 ... sold in 2006)

Jim Harrell's '62 Ford Falcon Futura Vintage Open Track Racecar.jpg
    Jim Harrell's '62 Ford Falcon Futura Vintage Open Track Racecar (1).jpg
    Jim Harrell's '62 Ford Falcon Futura Vintage Open Track Racecar (2).jpg
    '62 Ford Falcon Futura Vintage Open Track Racecar

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  22. He's not in the UK ... he's in South Carolina.

23. town sedan

town sedan

I like guys like the OP. This is how I got my rolling original '32 chassis complete with juice brakes, a '39 transmission and a '50 mercury V8. Story was the clean original body went off to be a street rod. Lucky me, I'm not going to change much, but I did recently get a modified Hudson box and '40 Deluxe steering wheel. A Brookville '32 roadster body will go on top.

I hope all his leftovers go to a good home.
    -Dave

24. When I was employed in the hot rod world we built a nice ride from a super solid, older restored 32 5w. Even drove it to lunch. We carefully removed and sold everything we didn’t need. Including a clean, running V8 chassis with juice brakes. Sounds like the one you described. I carefully removed the rust free floor which was also sold. Over 20 k worth of parts were sold including the interior and factory bolts and screws.
    What we had left was a nice clean rust free body.
    Right beside this car was another 5w body except this one was a mess. We had to fab rockers, door skins, sub rails, lower qtrs, wheel houses, replace one cowl side, rear qtr extensions........
    Moral of the story is that it was more economical and faster to build the restored one.
    The restored car ended up on TRJ cover
    The other one is still at the shop I left 8 years ago.

town sedan likes this.
  25. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I guess the OP checked out of his own thread since he hasn’t posted since November 9th! Good to know everyone who tried to help didn’t waste their time!:rolleyes:o_O

26. koolbeans

koolbeans

Haven't checked out. Just stepped back to hear the keyboard cowboys put their literary spin on 50 years of shop ownership building and restoring cars. The spins are worse than Washington.
    But time marches on, the pieces and parts are piling up for the soon mad thrash and dash to hit the streets.

27. koolbeans

koolbeans

I like very much your parallel. Very close to the path I've chosen.

anthony myrick likes this.
  28. koolbeans

koolbeans

Interested in the Hudson box?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.