Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Strange Things Afoot In Mexico

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Strange Things Afoot In Mexico

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

chryslerfan55, GZ, Special Ed and 5 others like this.
  2. zz29

zz29

Great video; they are probably in Argentina, not Mexico, or at least the three people in the video have Argentian/Uruguayan accents. Browsed through the video and the young guys are talking about the modifications a traditional hot rod requires like the flathead V8 59AB (I think, i'm a newbie), the quick change, and how they tried to build the car following 'the book'. They talk about the gear ratio in relationship to racing it on the quarter mile and some other stuff. It's a very nice build.

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Hot rods and customs from Tijuana were standard fare at San Diego car shows and cruises in the fifties and sixties. For a short period of time, 1/8 mile drags were held near the bullring by the sea. There's always been a strong car culture in Tijuana, Calexico, Mexicali and Ensanada.

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

23.jpg Old cars.its all good ! Being a hotrodder and race car nut in south Fla. from the 50s on,dose also mean I took race cars an raced in the Caribbean, Puerto Rico,Dominican Rep. in the early 80s and Jamaica in the 1968 in Kingston. Car nuts find a way to talk cars...................

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018

5. I love everything about that car! The Napoleon Dynamite look alike's smile while he revs the engine is priceless....

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not Mexico. Vintage Oliden, Lomas de Zamora, Buenos Aires.
    As far as Mexico goes ,there was a time when what you said about Mexico may have been true.

Now however it has turned into a vast cesspool of drugs violence and corruption.
    You can't even safely visit Acapulco anymore.

7. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Wonder its origin - right hand drive.

8. zz29

zz29

There’s a lot of places in Mexico that are still very safe to visit, not sure about hot ridding

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

While it’s not traditional hot rods ,one might say the Baja races morphed from the earlier style road races , the Mexicans are wild about Baja and the racers, they are rock stars down there ... kids everywhere yelling steeker steeker , race stickers are darn near currency down there!

Trophy trucks and Baja bugs may not look like a traditional hotrod but a majority of BC mexico loves them ... oddly enough I was down 200 miles south of TJ for the Baja in a town that only had dirt roads but saw 3 really nice pre war bomba’s

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

The current Mexico is not the old Mexico we used to visit and vacation in. When we lived in Texas it was a no brainer to visit Mexico. I used to go there on business at least twice a month at various locations. It was also in close proximity and an economical place to vacation. Stayed at the Accapulco Princess several times wouldn't go there now if you payed me. Who needs the hassle of worrying about your families safety? Sad situation as there were many great places to visit.

Gary

11. I have spent quite a bit of time in Mexico and love it as well, if you go looking for trouble you will find it. My wife has family in Mazatlan and they have told us there is no worries about visiting there. In all my travels there i have never seen a traditional hot rod. I will have to get my wife to translate the video for me!

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Brazilian upload_2018-11-20_11-21-22.jpeg street roadster in Bolivia

chryslerfan55 and Jet96 like this.
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've been going since I was a kid... and have noticed zero difference honestly... Same old place to me.

In any case, let's not turn this thread into a commentary on the social condition of the country. They would lead to politics. And politicians aren't upstanding enough to be discussed here. :)

14. elgringo71

elgringo71

Two people got it right so far. They are definitely in Argentina. I am guessing that they are at a car show called Auto Clásica. We have a HAMB Member from Argentina that should be able to shed some more light on this and on the traditional scene down there. Paging @ratamahata

Also zz29 is correct about what they are talking about.

chryslerfan55, HEMI32 and Ryan like this.
  15. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Great stuff no matter where it is. You really have to respect the guys that are building in another country....we take it for granted how easy it is here in the states.

Rui and Texas Webb like this.
  16. You're right Autoclasica Argentina International car show in Buenos Aires... Bs As...The Tango City...
    White hair is Luis Zschoke, specialized in Muscle cars...He commented about that 33' Ford... Talking about cars...

Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. IronTrap

IronTrap

Really nice guys, they chat me up on Instagram regularly and seem very enthusiastic. Some good cars/bodies/parts still being found there. I'd love to go someday!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. BradinNC, mgtstumpy, BigDogSS and 8 others like this.
  19. Rckt98

Rckt98

I have been to Buenos Aires, stayed a few days on a South American holiday a few years ago.
    Best steak I have ever eaten.
    As an aside there have been a lot of early (30's) cars bought into NZ from Argentina over the years.
    That era was right hand drive in Argentina so works well here.
    A friend has a 36 Roadster from there.

20. Yes Sir... RHD untill 1945

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Pictures from my friend shop in Argentina! No Brookville roadsters bodies... scratch build roadster body and 4 door conversion to coupe... Handmade 32 Grille... IMG-20181120-WA0063.jpeg received_10207123784832383.jpeg IMG-20181120-WA0183.jpeg received_10207115863074344.jpeg IMG-20181114-WA0102.jpeg received_10207115855954166.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    sdluck, mgtstumpy, BigDogSS and 17 others like this.
  22. Holy sh#t !!!

Translation : Santa Mierda !!! :)

That's badass ! & that coupe ! Wow.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. chryslerfan55, Jet96, Saxman and 2 others like this.
  24. They will be welcome ... we also have roast beef and beer ...

25. Good Lord.. thats a really good looking build. Congratulations.

26. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Great Crucified Meats , and Malbec wine,If you go to Buenos Aires,besides the incredible opera house and Tango Halls,The National auto club of Argentinias museum is worth a visit,with the history of early racing there and fangio ect it houses some great early race cars, model t ,a speedsters and there was a great bare alloy bodied dodge chrysler six special when i last visited as well as some alfa and ferrari 50,s stuff some recreation but well done in Racoletta.Johnny

27. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Big difference between Mexico and Argentina. (Just ask an Argentinian.) I use to travel 200K air miles per year throughout Latin America and Brazil for my job in advertising. In my experience, Argentina is wayy more connected to old-world Europe than any coutry in the Western Hemisphere...best food..architecture...design...fashion...style...pre-war car restoration, F1 racing heritage (Fangio), etc. They’ve always had a strong traditional car culture. Glad to see it’s finally getting recognized by us Gringo’s...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    mgtstumpy, BigDogSS, mercjoe and 8 others like this.
  28. Yes sir:

Before the 5 times world champion Juan Manuel Fangio...

Some others racers like Macoco Alzaga Unzue, Raul Riganti and Juan Antonio Gaudino...

bug1.jpeg 1a62c05ca02eae4b899b97d8be88e615.jpeg post-101608-0-09415900-1450034752_thumb.jpeg 20180507_204007.jpeg viglione.jpeg

mgtstumpy, wraymen, BigDogSS and 5 others like this.
  29. Last car in the picture...

Beverly Hills speedway...
    Driver: Macoco Alzaga Unzue
    Car: Miller

20180511_092132.jpeg 20180511_092106.jpeg 20180511_091846.jpeg