Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building a foldable, stowable Roadster top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wstory, Jul 3, 2018.

1. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Finally had an opportunity to test the zip-on storm cover. The only issues are the "rooster tail" that douches me on a slow left turn and the water that sneaks under the corner of the windshield. Nada big deal in the overall scheme.
    Bring on the liquid sunshine! IMG_0337.JPG IMG_0356.JPG

2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hmmm,
    Sounds like screen, & then"normal"-type (fashioned in the same out-of-the-box-thinking-as-the-top) side curtains, could be in the works? Uhmm, not that you need or want them, just to prove how & that, they work. :D .
    Marcus...

brEad and loudbang like this.
  3. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

To keep the Mike Myers theme going...

<bows at Alice Cooper> "We're not worthy. We suck!"

Just wow. Nothing more to add.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Did you tell us the type of mesh you used? Manufacturer and or name and brand?

Another thing I’m wondering about is if you experience any water infiltration ( fancy word for leaks :D) from the zippers holding the storm cover resulting in cold water running down the back of your neck :eek: ?

What type of zippers are they?

I’m impressed overall, almost to the point of trying to have that style of top made ( the fabric portion) for my Rod Tops top on my 26 RPU.
    Larry

loudbang likes this.
  5. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

There were only two manufactures I could find. www.twichellcorp.com and www.phifer.com They make fabrics for patio furniture and sun control. Neither had ever heard of an application such as mine so I believe I am the first. I went with Phifer's SunTex as they had the greatest number of colors and textures. They readily sent samples and purchase of minimal yardage from resellers was easy. And,...it was cheap! Bought enough to do the top in three colors because I could not decide. $65.00 incl shppg!
    Trim guy sourced the zipper. Standard convertible top hardware. I liked as it was brass. No leaks.

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, it really looks good. There appears to be some overlap at the zippers that would definitely help with not having leaks.
    If it had become a problem one could do like they do on waterproof motorcycle riding gear such as jackets and add a strip of Velcro to hold down the flap over the zipper.

loudbang likes this.
  7. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

'Tho I have no "second thoughts" about the project, lemme offer a sidebar.
    If I were to do another, I'd seriously consider a rigid (non folding) top with a mesh center section and zip-on storm cover. The mesh section gets the breeze and the view, damn close to that of going topless. The storm cover gets added protection. The benefit is sun protection and a nasty profile.....to the point that I'm leaving it on the car more than I thought.
    A big part of the foldable/stowable rationale was having options for road trips. I.e. starting a trip topless, then putting it on somewhere along the way if sun or rain became an issue, or,...starting a trip with the top on and removing and stowing it in the trunk along the way.
    I do maybe 3 or 4 day 1000 mile + loops a year where the "foldable/stowable" feature might be exercised. However, the erection and take-down of the top takes time, time for friends to give you shit about your TinkerToy Top and time when you'd rather be drinking beer with your buds. A rigid top would have the downside of retrieving it, if motoring to another destination. But then, the worst case with having a rigid top on an extended trip is, that I'd be limited to looking at the world through a near transparent mesh and filtered sunshine,....not far off from the Roadster experience I'd say.

loudbang, teach'm and Blue One like this.
  8. I don't know how I missed this . Excellent thread and info, You did good!!!

loudbang likes this.
  9. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

And to top it off,...my entry for the Suede Palace, at the GNRS, was just accepted. I'm very pleased to say the least.
    If any of y'all are in attendance, stop by and say "Hiya", and/or leave a note so's we might chat in real time. img_0119.jpg

10. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Bill: Gongrats on G.N. happy thanksgiving

j hansen and loudbang like this.
  11. Hope to meet you Friday at GNRS.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  12. ^^^ Kickass man !! Hell of gooooooood' time coming. Congratulations. Much deserved.

loudbang likes this.
  13. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Love to say Hi, to anyone interested. I'll be cruisin the show a lot so gimme a jingle
    @ 949)742-2546 This, part of my show card. sktch #3a.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    brEad, HemiDeuce, teach'm and 7 others like this.
  14. jimmysweden

jimmysweden
    from sweden

Your kind of a King.. Thumbs up. thousand times...

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Wstory, saw your rod at gnrs today. You weren't around. Sorry I missed you.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Back to the top for some great tech

pprather likes this.
  17. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Just bumped this so's I get an alert if anyone posts.
    It's working great by the way but have a few thoughts how I would do diff. if I re-do.

dana barlow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Happy to hear of possible re-do thoughts.
    Marcus...

19. Hi Bill, saw your car yesterday, but couldn't find you, the top looks great, but you need to find a new seamstress !

20. Well? Just going to leave us all hanging with that last comment?

Blue One likes this.
  21. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Here be some thoughts. 'Tho the project went as planned,....can't leave well enough alone. Think I mentioned previously, "If I re-do, I'd seriously consider a rigid top (w/mesh) and suffer the inconvenience of leaving it home and wishing I had the protection and/or leaving it in a motel room and having to retrieve it. Breaking it down, stowing in the trunk and re-erecting,.... is a pain in the ass.
    However,....last coupla days I've had the top off to do a little maintenance and tuning. Discovered sans the header, the bows nest quite compact..ly. With the bows still attached at the sill, the remaining fabric and header are somewhat more easy to stow and take less room.
    Soooo,...if I were to re-do today, I'd probably save all the monkey motion and make the bows rigid (non folding) and make a little bikini cover for the bows when they're folded back.. IMG_1014.JPG Img_1017.jpg Img_1023.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  22. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Beautiful Job Bill,

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'm glad I found this. Thanks for sharing your amazing top build. I'll be trying this someday for my '26 Chevy roadster and I'll probably read this thread several more times. The rest of your roadster is very nice too.

Blue One likes this.
  24. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Thanks for the "atta boy". Always nice to hear.
    Your comment Six Ball, triggered me to re-scan the thread. It's been awhile. It reminded me to revisit the idea of a "bikini tonneau cover" for driving topless.
    And re "topless",....many friends said, "once a top goes on, you'll never take it off". Man, do I get that,....now! After about 18 months and 10-12K miles, I have not gone topeless. I guess while the weather in SoCal is perfect for real Roadstering, I better give it a try again. It's only about 4-5 months or so before conditions while have my dermatologist smiling again.

dana barlow likes this.
  25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, I went to some work to make a removable insert for the roof of my 30 closed cab pickup, because I thought I would want to take it off sometimes and drive with the top open. But to be honest I really have no desire to, it's much nicer in the hot sun to have the shade, and it's much better when the temps drop to reduce the wind chill factor, I just never take it off. Next time I redo it I'll just make it permanent instead of removable.

26. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

It's been something like 30 months and 20K miles, a trans, distributor, plugs and wires and carburetor work, foul and fair weather and,.....the top is still on. Haven't bothered with the zip on storm cover either as it too is a bit fussy and I rather be drinking beer with the buds. A mini car cover protects good enough from overnight wetness.
    I am however committed to testing topless within the next few weeks and prior to the big trip to Northwest Deuce Days in Victoria, BC
    IMG_20190406_070637.jpg

27. Nice picture of that beautiful roadster of yours. Can't wait to invite myself to sit in it again during the Deuce Days trip. :D I'm already thinking ahead about a top for my phaeton and am thinking of " borrowing" from your design and incorporating a screened in section.

28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Thanks for the update. I'm thinking this idea would be useful for a T bucket-type also.
    Marcus...

29. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Did the promised "topless" test and I'm a bit embarrassed to say, the top is becoming permanent. In preparation of the Victoria event, I decided to do a little paint repair and detail cleaning which meant removing the top. It's been off for about 10 days. Great for fair weather evening cruising but not so much fun any more at 70 mph,...gets old hanging on to your hat, driving one handed and wind buffeting til your ears ring. I must be getting old!!!!!
    And,....putting the sucker back together was a major pain in the ass,...even more than I remembered. Yeah,.. it was a pretty successful project,... "Building a Foldable Stowable Top" but now I question why?????
    Here's what it looks like going back together, probably for the last time. Now I'll only have to suffer taking shit from all the guys who I busted for years for never taking the top offa their cars. What goes around, comes around, I guess :rolleyes:! Also confirmation that I prefer the appearance with the top in place. thumbnail (15).jpg thumbnail (16).jpg thumbnail (18).jpg thumbnail (21).jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    OFT, brEad, HemiDeuce and 7 others like this.
  30. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Glad to see you came to your senses! Looks great!