Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty chrome bumper, is there anything I can do? update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Like I said earlier, Noxon is good if you can find it, Dupont makes something similar in a plastic bottle. Use flannel or cheese cloth so you don't scratch it up more... unless the bumpers are that bad. The parking light bezels look worse, I'd dip those in acetic acid, but check them after about 4 hours. Those.could also be blasted and powder coated/

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

My prediction is that most of it should clean up pretty good with the SOS pads but this bezel may require a little silver cheat paint blended in where the chrome is completely missing., or replacement depending on what one wants.
    upload_2018-11-18_9-37-45.jpeg

HOTRODPRIMER and warhorseracing like this.
  3. I have tried several of the materials suggested including oxalic acid with little results, the SOS soap pads seem to be working the best but even they are slow working.

After a couple of hours last night I quit scrubbing on the bumpers and turned my attention to adjusting door latches.

I'll work on the bumpers again today.

Yes, This piece is in pretty bad shape, I will ether replace it with a better driver quality piece or paint both of them.

0A-8224-PR.jpg

At a price of 549.99 a pair replacing them with new pieces are out of the question. HRP

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    warhorseracing and low budget like this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Step one: Wear gloves.

5. A Boner

A Boner

Might be time to try some CLR. Use some fine steelwool or soft brass brush to scrub it, after it sits for a few minutes......and yes, wear gloves.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  6. I soaked rags with CLR and left it for a couple of hours, I'm afraid the rust is too much for it. HRP

7. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you considered having them powder-coated in high gloss chrome? It isn't as shiny as real chrome, looks kinda like the ceramic coating on headers but brighter. My bumpers are as bad or worse than yours are and that is the route I'm taking, I just can't pay what they want for chrome plating . It won't happen for a few months yet, too many irons in the fire right now but when it happens I'll post before and after pix.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. A Boner

A Boner

I think the CLR softens the rust, but it needs some abrasion to dislodge it! Scrub it, then wipe with a white cloth.....there should be rust showing on the cloth.....until it's as rust free as it's going to get.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would still clean em up with the SOS pads and water getting the pad wet every time, scrubbing til your hands are slimey with the soap and water, rinse, repeat, scrub, rinse, repeat. Its never took me very long at all to come up with positive results and like I said you can touch up and blend in some silver paint on only the worst part of the piece to make it presentable until you decide weather to do something else or not.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. That's what I have been doing, it's just a slow time consuming task. HRP

13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. I will second his looks but can't agree with the durability as I didn't go that route with my '51 shoebox. I visited a local powder coater and looked at the "fake chrome" and felt as far as looks and any resemblance to chrome was more like silver paint. I straightened my bumpers as best as was possible and rattle canned them silver, rust pits and all after wire wheeling them. I am planning to replace them with real chrome anyway after I finish the body work and paint it. I just wanted to drive it and begin sorting it out then I found my wiring issues. The vinyl chrome for small parts looks way better but with the curves on the bumpers would probably look like, well I don't know how they would turn out.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dammit! Fixed it. Thanks for the heads up, not sure how I managed that.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Sounds like my internet dating experience. We have powdercoating at my school. I did a motorcycle frame in a titanium finish. Also did a soap dish in a blue tinted silver. I think the tints looks much better than pure silver, but not sure how it would work on a bumper.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. As Kerry mentioned "Oxalic acid. spray it on, scrub wash off thouroghly. Years ago I worked for a detailer and it would take bumpers with rust showing all over and make them look way better. It's not going to take out pits and the like but the red will be gone."
    Have used this on other steel chromed parts and the end results is amazing.
    Vic

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I've been reading this, Because a lot of my cars have the same problem. But i've got to ask. Now i've never used it,NEVER, but i've always heard about naval jelly?? Will/does it work? Can you still get it?Inquiring minds want to know?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. slowmotion

slowmotion

I used Oxalic acid (wood bleach) on small chrome pieces. It has to be totally submersed to be effective. The vintage bicycle hobby loves the stuff. Do a search, it works. Edit for an image:

[​IMG]

Chucky and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Yes, you can still get it. It’s primarily phosphoric acid. It works, but not all that well in my experience. For the type of rust HRP showed here, Quick Glo works better. For lighter rust, Lightning rust remover, a green Scotchbrite, and a lot of elbow grease can work well.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. I would look for a better used one, then try the acid thing on the old one.........and post your results.

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    I still need to clean the recessed areas on this piece.
    There's no magic potion. Soap and water works as good as anything. All you can do is remove loose rust and the rust stains left on the remaining bright metal.
    Wash with a rag and soapy water.....
    Scrub it with a green SOS pad....
    Polish with 0000 steel wool....
    Chrome polish may remove some of the staining and bring out what can be polished....
    Wax to prevent future staining....
    Plan on repeating every few months...

23. Aluminum cleaner is a mild acid and works for taking the rust stains off of chrome or paint, won’t help with the pits.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Kerry, what does this have to do with a dragster? ;) Lippy

25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I had this 37 Desoto bumper in my tank for 3 weeks. No polishing and no rubbing. Just hosed it off at the car wash and put a light coat of chrome polish on it to preserve it. Scan0785.jpg I left it in a little to long (Copper plate showing) as the other two bumpers look much better.

26. aus55

aus55
    from down under

The oxalic acid works. Do not do any cast or pot metal parts though, they will disappear. I have had similar results to what Slow motion posted. I plan on doing my bumper when I am ready to put it on. I just add oxalid powder to enough water to cover whatever part and leave it overnight. Rinse with water and done.