Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects You got to start somewhere!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tooth, Nov 18, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    48.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Other

18 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. 31

19 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. 32

7 vote(s)
    8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Now that's funny! I could put a 354 Hemi and then tell them I thought it was a Chrysler! Lol

28 Ford PU likes this.
  2. mlagusis

mlagusis

It is a 1931 Chevy coupe...not a 32. Check our Rodders Journal 65 for a nice example of a cool 31 Coupe and Roadster. Mostly built from old Chevy parts.

There are so many Chevy parts you can use that you can get for almost free. Find someone building a late 40's to early 50's truck. Take the front axle and brakes, steering column, wheel and box. Also grab the 16" steel wheels if they are there. Most of the time you can get that stuff for free or very cheap.

I have a 31 2 Door Sedan I am building. Using 1952 truck front axle and brakes. 12 bolt truck rear end

Countn'Carbs, loudbang and Torkwrench like this.
  3. mlagusis

mlagusis

Great body to start with. You have the doors too! I need 31 Chevy 2 door sedan doors...they are pretty hard to find.

If you can not find a frame, it may be easier to buy a new 32 Ford frame and use a Ford front suspension. Check out that Rodders Journal though...very cool cars. I was planning to use all Ford suspension until I saw this issue.

upload_2018-11-18_21-6-43.png

Countn'Carbs, kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  4. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Thanks Matt, This is good news! I wonder if Barnes and Noble can get it for me or I have to get it through Amazon? I'll find one thanks again!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

6. mlagusis

mlagusis

7. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I've been looking and there are people and companies who make reproduction frames and you can get them boxed and then there's information on all the other attachments for crossmember shock mounts all that stuff. $1,500 for the frame rails, but I don't want all their modern suspension parts I wanted to be period Correct.

8. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

9. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I'll get ahold of RJ and have them send me a copy. Thanks again Matt.

10. mlagusis

mlagusis

No problem! Get a build thread started when you start putting this thing together. I plan to start a thread for my sedan soon.

Countn'Carbs and loudbang like this.
  11. chubbie

chubbie

I have a hood top for a 31 for sale and a 34- 35 grill for sale

saltflats likes this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You better go talk to Richard, he will get you on the right track.

13. mlagusis

mlagusis

If you go Chevy suspension, look around and try to grab a 31 frame. I found one last year. I would imagine there are some till out there. A lot of the upgrades are mostly bolt in if you go that route and you can stick with old style parts.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

15. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I'm not sure what you're talking about? I don't remember replying to you. Sorry if I offended you but I don't remember saying anything negative to anybody.

16. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

17. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I am sure that I did not comment on a bill you are doing. And I have not said anything negative to anybody about any other builds. So I'm not sure what happened or what was said but I am sure it wasn't me.

18. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

19. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Well, I intend on calling the pest control to spray for termites before I get started. Even thought about using one inch square tubing to replace the wood.

Nicholas Coe and Montana1 like this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did that exactly once. The customer wanted all of the wood out. I hand built replicas of all of the wood, out of steel. It took 6-months. I did the structure work when I working for someone else. After I left, that person did not finish the car properly, and the customer was pissed. Pretty sure it was not ever finished.

I strongly suggest you consider carefully replacing the wood with steel. It is harder than it looks.

21. mlagusis

mlagusis

I am doing the same (using 1" square tubing...not spraying for termites :)

Check out this thread, there is a guy who has a 32 2 door sedan who offered up good info on how he did the steel structure on his. I expect to start building my structure after the new years.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/31-chevy-5-window-coupe.1128383/

loudbang likes this.
  22. The early Chevys have a lot of wood holding them together, a termites smorgasbord! :D:D HRP

Nicholas Coe and saltflats like this.
  23. Latigo

Latigo

Great looking coupe body. Well worth any woodwork that it needs. Go for it, have fun. Anxious to see the build progress.

24. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

25. mlagusis

mlagusis

26. Nice looking chevy and it indeed a 31 with missing header/visor. The 32s were very similar but had no visor. This is my buddy, Bob's 32 coupe. Lotsa wood alright. He put all new wood in his. Bobchaleks32coupeinterior.jpg bobchaleks32chevy.JPG

27. .........Seek no further advice from this particular friend.:D;)

Fast Eddie 27, 56premiere and X38 like this.
  28. "Period correct" would dictate a Ford V8 flathead if you're going early period!:eek:

29. cool project! good luck with the build ad keep us updated.
    replacing the wood with metal is fine but there are benefits of going through the trouble of repairing the wood, sound deadening, shock absorbing, interior installation etc.....
    what "period correct", period, are you building it to? pre war? 40's? 50's? early 60's?
    your poll is confusing. how can you answer a choice question with a yes or no?

The37Kid and Hnstray like this.
  30. Where is Missouri are you from?