Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical To Pump or Not to Pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrPhat40, Nov 18, 2018.

1. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

Dear H.A.M.B.er's,

I am in the process of replacing the radiator on my 40 Ford coupe (327 power). Stepping up to a Walker as the last rebuild only lasted 7 years. So everything exposing the front of the motor is out of the way.
    The front crank seal needs to be replaced but that is not my concerns just yet.

So my question is should I replace the water pump which appears to be a stock (carries a GM casting logo) unit but shows no signs of leaks, or bearing wobble/noise or not? If recommended to change it go with what? So much Chinese cheese out there I want something that will last another bunch of years.
    Same story with the fuel pump which was replaced in 2004 with a Holley 12-327-11, but shows no signs of not working. (Decent pressure and no leaks) However with today's fuels and the coming of E-15 I want some assurance, this thing will not get eaten up by the added alcohol. I looked into a rebuild kit for this fuel pump, but that does not seem to exist for this model.

Also reviews on new Holley/Eldelbrock replacements are not the most encouraging thing.
    If you are going to replace both pumps WWHD ? (What Would a HAMB'er Do)

As always I am very much appreciative of the knowledge this website offers still learners like me.

Regards,
    MrPhat40

loudbang, harpo1313 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. If it aint broke don't fix it. If you ever need to fix it, get your original stuff rebuilt. Skip Haney did mine (perfect 7 years now). Just search on here for his name and you will get all the info. you need.

loudbang, Slopok and upspirate like this.
  3. As for the water pump, Stewart, weiand, make good water pumps. I run a aluminum weiand. Fuel pump? I like Carter pumps, Holley ok too. But, yea, if it works why replace it?

loudbang and upspirate like this.
  4. The weight of an aluminum water pump vs. cast iron sold me. Weiand high capacity on the big block.

5. How many miles or hours are on it?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my daily driver with 187,000 miles has recently started to leave a little puddle everywhere I go. it is weeping out the hole in my water pump. bought a new one a couple weeks ago, and have a jug of water in the bed. I'm not in a rush to change out the leaky one, I would never replace a good one on a SBC since they are right there in front of you.

I did change a good one once on my Volvo when I did the timing belt since it had well over 250,000 miles and the pump is more hidden behind a bunch of crap on these motors.

7. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

Dear 31Vicky
    Best estimate
    Water pump has 71000 no weeps seeps or noises
    The fuel pump has 30000 plus
    It fills up the site glass before carb every time
    No fuel related issues when the car runs which is strong
    Thx
    MrPhat40

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  8. It's just me, but I've found that if a radiator was leaking and I replaced it and didn't replace the water pump (even if it wasn't currently leaking) it often started leaking, after the new radiator was in service. Probably just my luck, but for peace of mind and relatively small outlay of cash, I would replace the pump.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Install your new Walker and leave other parts alone if they aren't giving you
    trouble.

upspirate and ct1932ford like this.
  10. They aren't expensive - so not much harm in changing it
    They aren't Hard to do so not much harm in waiting till it fails.

Flip a coin

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep
    They could last ten years or ten days, just depends on your aversion to surprises at the worst moment.
    Even in this day and age where it's easier to find parts at the local Autozone(ed out) store for 72 Datsuns than it is for small block Chevys' it shouldn't be too big of a problem to find them at stores in towns out on the interstate highways.
    As to water pumps; if you are open to aluminum, I concur with the Stewart suggestion, that or a GM version from their performance parts line.
    If you don't want to replace them before they need it; save a spot in your trunk with your tools on roadtrips, or even just store them in your trunk and you've got them anywhere you go.

upspirate likes this.
  12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Be v aware that as of a few years ago when I called weekend that there were no rebuild parts available for their water pumps

chevy57dude likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Your spell checker is not working:rolleyes:

14. From my perspective I know what a PITA it is to pull the radiator out of a 4o Ford and I would at least replace the water pump, no one wants to try and replace a W/P and bend up the fins on a new radiator, it's easy enough to change out the fuel . pump if it ever causes any problems. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I don't know if it's spell check or word substituter , but it really pisses me off !!!It does not recognize abbreviations or slang terms , names of auto parts , etc. It's really frustrating !! Plus the new emojis suck

16. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I vote change to a Stewart WP (at least Stage II) while you have easy access.
    SPark

loudbang likes this.
  17. Slopok

Slopok

Carry a new one around with you in the trunk and you'll never need to replace it!;)

lothiandon1940 and bobss396 like this.
  18. Cheap insurance. I got a NEW Cardone pump for my SBC on eBay delivered for like $19... looked good, hardware (bushings etc.. ) were nice too. Have about 9k miles on it, one in the trunk should last forever...

19. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Doing preventive maintenance on the wifes car, flushed radiator and all new hoses and T-stat, bunch of other stuff same time. .... Test drove it and the water pump started leaking.
    When it was time for my daily driver truck, I did same PM and automatically replaced the water pump also.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bob, though it sounds like you were pretty lucky there (for 19 bucks) this reminds me of trying to save some money when I was a kid, (I was saving up for a set of headers).
    Early 70's, my second car in high school was a 57 BelAir, had a 64 283 in it and one day the water pump started rattling, so I bought a rebuilt water pump, the cheaper of the two available, put it on and the thing started pissing water right through a hole in the casting. Returned the $15 pos and gladly upgraded to the $25 water pump.
    I realize it's an easy swap but I've always hated wrenching on something twice.

i.rant likes this.
  21. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Be very careful when using cheap replacement sbc water pumps...for the last few years EVERY single one I have installed had V belt alignment issues. Usually have to remove the rear cover and put the pump assy. in a press to properly align the hub...The last one was a 1/4" out..so bad that after the pulley was on it would barely leave enough shaft to center the fano_O

22. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

I took the advise of the group and ponied up for a Stewart stage II

It’s going on this afternoon
    Thx to all for helping
    MrPhat40

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LM14 and i.rant like this.
  23. This was on eBay and it looked nice... got it in 2 days and it was nice. Painted it up, installed the '57 Chevy outlet and used the hardware that came with the '57 Chevy kit. This is a new pump and not hard to change. I'll upgrade if it goes blooey. The pump I took off the engine shares a casting number for an early Corvette core, worth about $50 to $75.