Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dent removal in the top of my Mullins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Have you priced a new top? Wonder if you can buy just the glass part?

Charlie Stephens

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. I'd open it up and put some stuff inside and close the lid and see how much pressure it took to get the shape reformed. If not too much I'd lock the latch and let it sit like that out in the sun. The advantage of doing it on the trailer like that is the outer skin/frame of the top won't get distorted.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_OWould you look at that :D
    The same thing I said previously,just in a different way :D

Another example of how helpful it would be to actually read a thread before posting something :D:D

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  4. dan31

dan31

I personally sported the '68 Dart Mullet ,the only mullet all other mullets feared. They were even seen hiding under collars as we drove by pumping AC DC

5. Just a thought. Take the top off, turn it upside down, and either fill it with water or place some weight on the now inverted dent, and sit in the sun.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Seal all joints and openings after you've drilled and installed a valve stem in a desirable location. Inflate to 60psi and wait until it becomes a travel trailer. ;)

7. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hang on just a dad-gummed minute here. Let's all just sit back and consider the question, the situation, and the players. Think of it like this. How would a young man back in, oh I dont know, say, 1957, 1958, have gotten a dent out of the top of his Mullins fiberglass luggage trailer? Only when THIS is answered, will you have an On Topic solution to this very perplexing question.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Stack more stuff on top and around it so Dad won't find it ever again. So you thought.

9. There are 30 something posts all saying pretty much the same thing in a different way. :p
    Just take it as agreement with yours.
    It got so boring I skimmed a few myself but has anyone mentioned Fix the roof on the barn!

10. It's like the cobblers children whose shoes need repair, It seems out of sight out of mind but yeah, it does need a new roof. HRP

chryslerfan55 and nochop like this.
  11. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Here's the fix...
    1) be sure there's insurance on it
    2) roll it down an embankment
    3) call your agent

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ So you think you "know a thing or two"?

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. I hope you meant that as a joke, insurance fraud is a felony and I certainly don't want to go to jail. HRP

chryslerfan55 and nochop like this.
  14. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Ok...joking!
    Insurance may cover the damage though. May not hurt to check.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

15. I would think that the deductible is probably more than the trailer is worth, I purchased the body from a local guy that used a original trailer to make a plug back in 1988 and built it to haul all the luggage and whatnot when we went to the nationals and need the back seat for the kids.

The body was less than 400 bucks at the time but they are kinda pricey today. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

You never run out of topics for HAMB posts, do you?;) Bob

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

post-7765-0-29778900-1441155021.jpg Add two 2x4's to the counter tops, add Mullins top, enjoy the party. Bob

18. Bob, your a show off, those green eggs are nice, off topic but nice. :p HRP

19. Slopok

Slopok

Yeah don't do it Danny.
    What are ya in for boy?... I rolled my Mullins off an embankment....Bend over boy!:eek:

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Show off? I just googled it, that egg could buy a lot of 1939 Ford Pickup parts.:) Bob

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^^ This. Sand, or the like...Good idea. But, first:
    Simple perimeter frame, 2" X 12" boards on edge, nailed into an 'open square', so the edges of the lid sit squarely on it. (upside down, obviously) Opened at 2 of the corners, for your arm to reach under with the heat gun. (small round electric heater would also do the trick...)
    Harbor Freight has these 'moving blankets' (padded) for super cheap...a couple of them folded would prevent scratching the outer perimeter of the lid. Just a nice big soft 'bed'.
    I use them for everything 'nice', no scratches. My 4 stacked in the corner of the garage never sit there longer than a coupla days...
    'Moving blankets', yeah...Cheap price, I was 'moved'...

22. RMONTY

RMONTY

A big green egg is off topic but a Mullins fiberglass trailer isn't? :confused::p

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Period correct depicts a time in history.
    [​IMG]

24. I could never afford a real Mullins red cap, I could buy another car for what a real one cost.

I was going to say the BGE don't have wheels but it does.:rolleyes: The Mullins does have automotive wheels and tires, and I can't smoke a Turkey in it! :D

If I hooked it up behind my Deuce sedan it wouldn't haul too many pieces of luggage,tools,a spare, a ice chest and groceries, you know us old farts gotta have a sandwich every now and then. :D HRP

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    chryslerfan55 and RMONTY like this.
  25. Poverty cap

Poverty cap

Pull it out in the sun on some warm days.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. I am not sure what a big green egg is but a Mullin's trailer is a practical era correct (realizing it was produced in the later thirties) accessory to an early Ford.

Charlie Stephens

IMG_8144.jpg

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I say coupe you say coop "lets call the whole thing off".
    [​IMG]

28. spanners

spanners

Maybe the dent was caused by a frisky husband and wife and the 'leaking roof' is really a smoke screen.:D

RMONTY and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Then turn trailer upside and repeat from inside. :D

30. I took a couple of photo's of the trailer trying to give some kind of visual imagery but crawling around through all the stuff piled up in the way these are the best I can do, I am going to have to clear a path to get ot out.

Like I said in a earlier post I haven't used it in the last 20 years. HRP

303.JPG

309.JPG