Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP Roy Clark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by little red 50, Nov 16, 2018.

1. little red 50

little red 50

Legendary guitar player and Hee Haw star Roy Clark died at age 85 with complications from pneumonia. Roy was also into drag racing. Here is a picture of one of his cars. If anyone else has any other pictures of his cars please post them up.
    [​IMG]

GuyW, wraymen, TFoch and 16 others like this.
  2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Wow!had no Idea, very cool.

Montana1, Stogy, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yep, he was a Tulsa, Oklahoma home town boy!

Bones

4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

RIP , God Speed Roy .

5. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

RIP, Roy. Grew up watching you on Hee Haw. One of my favorite clips.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Clark Family and Friends on The Iconic Picker and Grinner Roy's passing.

Definately figured in my growing up...and he had a race connection...cool.

Regards,
    Stogy

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  7. little red 50

little red 50

I found a better picture of his 65 Plymouth, he called it his Hee Haw Hemi.
    [​IMG]

GuyW, wraymen, TFoch and 10 others like this.
  8. I had fond memories of watching Hee Haw with Roy Clark and Buck Owens in the early 70's when I visited with my Grandparents.

9. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I had no idea he was into drag racing. But he was a favorite of mine on "Hee Haw" Such an incredible talent.

10. Deuces

Deuces

Rest In Peace Roy...... :(

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A true entertainer who was just flat fun to watch and listen to. Those old Hee Haw reruns still beat most of the new stuff for kick back and enjoy tv.

270ci, HemiDeuce, Cosmo49 and 5 others like this.
  12. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Sad day. I also grew up watching him weekly on Hee Haw. Last year I rediscovered him in old episodes of the Jimmy Dean Show. Incredible guitarist, and a genuine personality to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wraymen, Cosmo49, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

14. The hee haw hemi was the ex fred engelhardt ( metro molded rubber ) altered wheelbase Plymouth. The super picker was the un altered car.

15. Sad to hear the news. Roy Clark was a neat guy. He was great on the Beverly Hillbillies.
    Hee Haw was a staple at our house growing up as a kid. Back in those days we only had one TV (like most people), so when Dad was home we watched what he wanted or you went and found something else to do.
    Every Saturday night it was Hee Haw and The Lawrence Welk Show. I never was too crazy about Lawrence Welk, but I really liked Hee Haw. Tons of laughs, good music and a lot of pretty girls--even though I didn't really notice too much since I was so young.
    When I tell people how I like(d) Hee Haw they look at me like I'm crazy. How is it that a Mexican guy that grew up in the barrio could like Hee Haw?
    Well, Dad always liked rockabilly, doo wop, blues and country western music. He was always listening to music. When you grow up around certain things you either learn to like it or you hate it. I liked it, so that's why I guess.
    By the way, I have a Hee Haw Fan Club Member sticker on the quarter window of my off topic mild custom Mercury. Gets a lot of comments from people.
    Vaya Con Dios, Mr. Clark..........E

HunterYJ, INVISIBLEKID, GuyW and 10 others like this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

17. greener200

greener200

Where ,Where are you tonight ?
    Why did you leave me here all alone?
    Yep ,,Hee Haw and Lawrence Welk then time to hit the sack. RIP Roy

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

He was a self-taught guitarist. Definitely under rated, and his skill went far beyond the Hee-Haw corn pone stuff most people think of. I picked up a couple vinyl LPs (remember those?) at a yard sale or somewhere a while back, of Roy playing blues guitar, couldn't believe it. He could really wail. I'd play a tune from the album and ask people "who do you think that is playing guitar?" It was funny to see the expression on their face when I told them it was Roy Clark!

wraymen, Deuces, OG lil E and 5 others like this.
  19. catdad49

catdad49

What a Talent! There's you tube videos that showcase his amazing abilities.
    The Hee Haw Honies weren't hard to watch, either. On top of all that, he was a pretty good racer. Via con dios, Sir.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  20. ..........Didn't they wear "Daisy Dukes" before Daisy Duke wore "Daisy Dukes"?:D

21. A greatly talented man. R.I.P. Roy.

22. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

He was one hell of a picker. Could play a mean set of spoons too. Lots of Hee Haw watching in my youth.

There is an elementary school named for him in Tulsa and he was a major supporter of their music program, as well as so many other things there. Heck, he was partially responsible for bringing minor league baseball back to Tulsa after the Oilers left many moons ago.

I’m sure that Buck had a hearty welcome for him. . Rest In Peace Roy.

23. Never knew about his foray into drag racing. Always knew of his magical, musical talents for sure. He lived in the Washington, D.C. area for a period of time (Davidsonville, Md.) and performed often at the Crossroads Country bar in Bladensburg, Md.

chryslerfan55, wraymen and Deuces like this.
  24. little red 50

little red 50

Thanks for the clarification, any more info on the altered plymouth? any pics?

25. Born and raised in VA just outside DC. Tulsa came much later.

Ben

26. sololobo

sololobo

this sweet funny man was such a prolific musician there are few with his talent. I am excited to see he was a drag race participant, outstanding hot rod for sure. His work with a personal friend, Texas musician Gatemouth Brown is legendary. You see a wonderful kinship between the two men which warms my heart. Rest easy brother Roy, you will be missed.

27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

As a guitar player snob...he was one of the greats. So clean, articulate and just plain good! RIP Roy.

28. topher5150

topher5150

I love his guitar tone

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. slowmotion

slowmotion

Any picker north of 60 these days, he had an influence on. Roy had it all, personality, humor, wit, humility, generosity, not to mention talent out the wahzoo. A musician's musician and one hell of an entertainer. RIP Roy.

30. ..........................but in his own words, "I Never Picked Cotton".:D;)