Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any one go camping during the winter months?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Being a West Virginia guy your like me, if you can cook or grill it you can eat it. :D HRP

2. I actually prefer Diamond Back's (haven't had or even seen one since back in the '80's) over Timber Rattlers but beggars can't be choosers.:p

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. Duellym

Duellym

hmm i've never heard of it getting that cold around here, i guess if you go up in the mountains it might

4. Several places get that cold; Minnesota (Camp Ripley) most likely more places stateside. Alps and other eastern European / central Asian mountainous countries, some you would not even think they have mountains

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My lovely wife surprised me with an early x-mas gift...reservations at Tahquamenon Falls State Park Campground...the first weekend of Dec! For those unfamiliar, it's in the Upper Peninsula about 60 miles north of the bridge. They got a heckuva snowstorm the other day. I'll make sure to take plenty of pics.

wraymen and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Are you going to be staying in a cabin or a camper? HRP

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

We're hauling the '58 Tour-A-Home. We'll have electric and be kinda close to the restrooms. Hope it doesn't blizzard too much between now and then!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. I'm not familiar with that model, do you have photo's? HRP

9. Camping during the winter can be full of surprises. HRP

[​IMG]

Boneyard51 and Speedys Garage like this.
  10. Danny, we go winter camping but we sorta cheat now. Got a new trailer with 4 season insulation , full bathroom slideout and a good furnace. Used to camp in a bare bones trailer with no heat, fridge or much anything else. Getting older has a way of changing the way you look at things. We have wimped out, SORRY. Mitch

warhorseracing likes this.
  11. Mitch, we really enjoy our vintage camper although some of the creature comforts are non existent, however we do have heat & air, still have to hike to the restroom & showers.

It ain't the the Ritz but the sure beats a tent and sleeping on the ground.HRP

warhorseracing likes this.
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Is she trying to get rid of you or something??

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There's nothing quite like wood heat. The Kni-Co stoves and others have a stainless water tank to hang on the stove side and keep hot water available for coffee and washing.

IMG_0745.JPG

flatheadpete and warhorseracing like this.
  14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Fri afternoon there was maybe 3" on the gd. Sat was beautiful. Major snowstorm moved in Sunday morning. 8" new at 33*. It was heavy, wet. Really had a great time. Breaker tripped once while it was 27* so it got cold for a bit. We're already planning our next trip up...in January!
    45437710744_98f672f0b1_c.jpg 46111001422_68173cc227_c.jpg

wraymen likes this.
  15. Where were you at? We got nuthin' in the Thumb!
    Mike

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Camped at Tahquamenon Lower Falls Campground. Drove through crazy blizzards and hit monsoon-type rain about Saginaw.

Black Fifty likes this.
  17. Nice! I'm sure you left the Ford at home!

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Nothing quite so lonely and forlorn as an empty campground in December!

wraymen likes this.
  19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Quiet...Birds, the water falls 1/2 mile away, the snow hitting the trees. That's all you hear. Music to my ears.

Truck64 and wraymen like this.
  20. 59Tele

59Tele

Absolutely true. I was working on the north side of a house in Rye, NH right across the street from the ocean. It was grey, humid, about 33 degrees with a steady 5mph breeze coming off the ocean. I was told I'd be working indoors for the day so I dressed for it: no hat, lightweight jacket, flannel shirt. By 2:00 PM I thought I was gonna die but somehow made it to 4:00PM. It was the 5MPH breeze doing all the damage.

21. I learned a long time ago, regardless of the weather take enough cloths for unexpected changes in the weather, a sudden drop in temperatures along with a stiff wind & rain and you can be pretty miserable during the summer, especially if all you have in your bag consist of t-shirts & shorts! o_O HRP

22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

DDDC6989-C505-428D-B426-F09AE888FE65.jpeg
    Hotrodprimer, my folks bought a camper just like yours, Shasta, 12 ft I think. It was painted different that yours, but had the same door, window and storage compartment and wood interior.

They bought it new in 1954-5 and we camped in many times in Southern California. Staying many times at Camp Comfort and somewhere in the hills. We brought it back to Oklahoma in Oct of 1957 when we moved back. I had my sixth birthday in it while we were in Arizona. Got a basket for my bike and a Daisy canteen, still have both.
    My family lived it it for weeks, while we fixed up the barn to live in while they were building the big house. Took it to deer camp several times.
    Some time in the sixties/seventies my Dad sold it. Made a lot of memories in that trailer.
    When I see one it always makes me smile!

Bones

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Truck64 likes this.