Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Building mistakes you won't repeat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Not spending enough time block-sanding with a loooonnng board and guide coats. :(

2. Dennis D

Dennis D

Corvette looks serious! D

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was much younger, I'd rush into a job without thinking out a clear plan, screwing up the project and having to start all over again. Not too bright, as I did it a couple of times, before I saw the light. Now I spend too much time planning and don't get a whole lot accomplished, but what I do is done right.

Chavezk21 and Just Gary like this.
  4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When a friend/sorta business partner trimmed the 38 he did it in the early 80's diamond tuck, I really wanted a simple pleat job, he and his wife (RIP) did a decent job but it is dated:( He checked it out a year or so ago at a car show and was surprised that it held up for this many years:) The Monza seats are not "period" but they have been very comfortable, something that is more important for me at this stage of my life.
    IMG_1652.JPG

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    dana barlow and alanp561 like this.
  5. Hren59

Hren59

Failing to photograph assemblies, wire routing etc because “there’s no way I’ll forget how that went together”

jimgoetz, Chavezk21, kaspar and 13 others like this.
  6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Constant speed, constant motion.
    That's how it's done.;)

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I bought it 30 years ago, hadn't even touched a welder up to that point, the hardest part was differentiating whether I was doing something wrong or the setup/settings were off.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  8. I think my biggest building mistake is sinking too much money and time in a car that I am not in love with. I tend to buy a money pit, keep it too long spending money on it then lose interest in it.

TagMan and zzford like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Don't box a frame w/o securing the rails.

Good thing I like scrap iron to build stuff with....

classiccarjack likes this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

Hmmn...constant voltage I think? :)

11. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

not starting the project with the most complete vehicle available. every time I turn around its $.50 - $5.00 - $50.00 for some little damn thing I don't have.

Saxman likes this.
  12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Constant voltage on mig, definitely, but constant speed and constant motion using any type machine are key to a good weld.

Chavezk21 likes this.
  13. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Popping about half of the spot welds out of a floor pan, then realizing the original is repairable. Now I get to fix the spot welds before I actually repair the floor.

alanp561 and nochop like this.
  14. Chopping the top, filling in the cowl vent, trying 4 different engines before settling on one.
    All this added years to my project. As someone else said several "trends" came and went during the build.

Asphalt Demon and nochop like this.
  15. I forgot that I did this too. My very first serious mistake. Young 20s kid, borrowed welder, teaching myself how to weld; welded the whole length of the front frame rails without stopping except to change rods. Afterwards, the right frame rail was higher than the left. If I had only had more knowledge....

alanp561 and nochop like this.
  16. X-cpe

X-cpe

The only people who don't make mistakes are the people who don't do any thing and that is the biggest mistake of all.
    When my dad retired he said he was done making mistakes. It was time to let the younger people make them.

17. Mine was not tac welding everything.
    I'd weld a part to frame and later have to move it to clear some thing.
    Now I build the complete frame fit body and engine mounts then remove everything and finish welding.

alanp561 likes this.
  18. jazz1

jazz1

Made engine mounts and installed engine while truck was on stands. It looked fine until I got it off stands and realized engine was about 3" too low. Left it that way. Fix it later, later later:D

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    alanp561 likes this.
  19. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Ever sit in a car, weld in a roll cage, then remove your welding gloves just before grabbing the bar you just welded on to get out of the car? Yeah... About the same level of ouch. Only I think that my pride was hurt more than my poor blistered hand. LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey likes this.
  20. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

My daily grind! If that car was tough for you, don't ever attempt a Airflow or a Plymouth Truck... I am about to start making parts by hand on the truck! Sigh

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

my building mistakes start with the letter A ....by the time i get to Z...they are not a mistake anymore

22. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Still the neatest A coupe ever! I first saw it at the capital city street rods rod run(can’t remember what it was called) while it was still in primer.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. elba

elba

Built my first 38 Chevy with a GM sub frame and loved it . Built my second with a Mustang 2 . The sub fame car was much much better .

samurai mike and olscrounger like this.
  24. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Dang, you have a great memory. It rained the evening of the show and I didnt have a hood or windows in it yet. That woulda been 1989 because it got painted that winter.
    Still have the car but it hasnt ran in many years. The 302 smokes bad and the C4 leaks like crazy. I oughta get them rebuilt, go thru the brakes and put it back on the road. Just too many other projects I guess. At least I never sold it. I've had it 34 years now.

VANDENPLAS and 32fenderless like this.
  25. dragginwagon2

dragginwagon2
    from Ohio

Hey s55mercury66 what do you mean by marginal chrome?

26. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

HOW ABOUT THIS ONE GUYS, replaced 9 inch rear end axle bearing seals and pinion seal with new napa parts and wow leaked worse then before ALWAYS CHECK FIT BEFORE ASSEMBLE

27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Pretty much any chrome that has lost it's luster, not pitted, but not really shiny either. A paint job with bright shiny clear, will show just how bad the chrome on a vehicle really is. Chrome is really just a clear over nickel plating.

dragginwagon2 likes this.
  28. dragginwagon2

dragginwagon2
    from Ohio

Gotcha. Thats what I thought but just wanted to make sure it wasn’t some old school stuff that was added to paint. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

s55mercury66 likes this.
  29. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

NEVER,NEVER,NEVER use JD Blitz black again!!!!!!

30. Pick the next project to allow for my larger size and older age. I could fit easily into a '29 A coupe when I was 19 or 20, but an AA cab at nearly 70, that's a different thing. Also, I should have learned more things much sooner, and gotten more experience under my belt, from fabrication, welding, body work, painting, engine and transmission building.

skip65 likes this.