Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Haulin' ass in fiberglass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr T body, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Doesn't need a LOT of gusset, just properly sized and placed. Made up a harness mounting bracket so I can get a better idea where all the reinforcement goes. Not a lot of progress, but any time you can break out the oxy/acetylene and mig in the same weekend is a good time. :D
    track2.jpg

2. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

The office is coming along.... harness1.jpg

3. loudbang

loudbang

Ford Blue oval colored belts how appropriate :)

1947knuck likes this.
  4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

and tape on the steering column...

loudbang likes this.
  5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

It has eyes! Not the most stylish arrangement and placement, but there really is only one need for these...... to help be street legal.
    hdlt1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I found an aluminum Hamburger 10qt full pan so that'll be on it's way soon. Glad I found it because I wasn't thrilled with the current offerings and Hamburger doesn't make a full drag pan for a BBF any longer.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Oil pan made it here. Old Hamburger full drag pan that's no longer made. A couple modifications need to be made...... clear the starter and relocate the dipstick to the right front. Dipstick now is right behind the left collector so it's useless. pan1.jpg

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

They trying to tell you something? :D

loudbang likes this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

Love the engraved COBRA JET on the heads. :)

1947knuck likes this.
  10. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

They're "SUPER" Cobra Jets ;)

barrnone50 and loudbang like this.
  11. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I would expect this on a hotrodder forum, but aren't discontinued parts "traditional" on the HAMB?
    JGYS:D

barrnone50, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  12. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Summer's over, temps are dropping and it's getting to be build time again. After the last month or so of household repair/remodeling after the washer level sensor crapped out, this can go back on the front burner. We'll be back in the country the 2nd week of Oct so that means I'm mapping out the projects. Since the drive train is in it now it's a convenient time to make up short pipes off the collectors that'll go out the side under the frame rail. No room for mufflers so it might be a tad loud. I'll make a "street" setup later but these'll be fine for testing.
    The body's coming off so the firewall can be glassed in and the frame reinforcements welded in.
    It's almost fun time kids.........:)

AHotRod, saltflats and tfeverfred like this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good deal. Get back to work, I need my go fast car project fix. :D

14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Body's still not off, but doing what I can until it comes off. The upper corners of the trunk opening need to be modified so I can use the Quick Latches on the trunk lid. Might be wasting my time, but am trying using melamine panels as forms for the mods. Easy to form and a glue gun works well for joining panels. Only thing I haven't figured out is what I can use as a release agent when the time comes. Oh, and did I say what an absolutely CRAPPY fiberglass body this is? Don't know who made it but they should be shot.
    Doesn't make sense yet, but hang in there.....
    t1.jpg t2.jpg

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your doing a great job !

loudbang likes this.
  16. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Thanks. I really need to get organized and start busting ass on this thing. With as little available space as I have, I spend more time planning the work than actually doing it.

loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  17. AHotRod

AHotRod

I have built roadsters in 1 car garages because I spent the time and effort to design the layout to maximize the floor space, hang everything possible from the ceiling and walls. When my project is in pieces, our living room becomes a storage / staging area. God Blessed me with a major "Car Girl" for a wife, she loves our Hot Rods!

loudbang likes this.
  18. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

This might make it a bit clearer (or maybe not). The forms will be waxed then screwed in place and (hopefully) release relatively easily when I'm done laying it up. I'm cutting more out of the existing corners than the pics in the previous post show so I get a nicer corner and vertical surfaces out of it.
    trunk1.jpg trunk2.jpg

droppedstepside, AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  19. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I may offer a suggestion, Nothing wrong with that form it should work very well. Never used melamine but it should work OK. You need to paint the form, I believe, and I mean several coats just to make it as smooth as possible. I always use Johnson Floor Wax as a release agent, not saying its the best thing to use but it works well. And you need to wax it a lot like 5 or more coats of wax. I have settled on five because it also seems to work, I know for sure that three is not enough, and five just seems to work for me.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

You can't see it in the pics, but the joints are sanded with 2000 grit so very smooth (though it doesn't look it). I've been playing with carnuba paste (had it around) as well as glaze. I'm trying to steer clear of liquids as I don't know how the composite backing will react (swelling?). The paste seems to seal the composite edge well, but it's going to take numerous coats.
    It won't accept paint because it won't adhere to the melamine, so we'll see how well the wax works alone. The 'glass will be primed and sanded so a perfect finish isn't necessary. Hoping for the best but do expect issues.
    Only one way to find out.......

OFT, Hombre and loudbang like this.
  21. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

One kinda cool thing I read about today and tried tonight was heating and bending fiberglass. I was skeptical, but the upper drip rail was tilted up and needed to be flat so the corner would come out right. Took the heat gun to the edge, heated it and bent it into shape. Really kind of amazing.

AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

We used to use Palmolive dish soap for release agent when doing plaster casting. Paint it on and let it dry. Nothing sticks to it and some hot water makes it go away.

Soft on your hands too.......

alanp561, Mr T body and loudbang like this.
  23. patterg2003

patterg2003

I could not find Johnsons floor wax that is a good release that I have used for making fiberglass parts ions ago. I had to make a fiberglass nose bowl for our homebuilt airplane. I made a male mock up that was the exact shape that was needed. Bondo was used to smooth out any spots on the mock up form to get the shape smooth. The mockup was coated it with Meguiars Classic Gold carnuba wax for mold release. I made a female mold off the mock up and it released perfectly. I used the car wax as a fiberglass to fiberglass mold release as well. Getting the pcs smooth makes it better for cleanup afterwards as less roughness to hold the wax. Clean the area when done with a couple good washes with a good silicone and wax remover to get it off the car that way the wax does not spread around to interfere with the paint process. I always go over a car a couple times with the silicone and wax remover to make sure the car is clean before starting any paint work.

Mr T body and Hombre like this.
  24. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Did you wax over the bondo or paint over it then wax?

25. When I had my glass roadster I would say it might not be real but it sure is real fun. HRP

raven likes this.
  26. scottie

scottie

over here in the UK i use brown packing tape, resin doesnt stick to it

AHotRod likes this.
  27. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

This car really only has to be one thing......scary fast.

28. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Interesting. Only down side I can think of is the edge of the tape leaving a line. Also read about people using Pam spray as a mold release.

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

I made some modifications to my homemade 'glass Model A Coupe body recently and used Turtle Wax as my release agent, worked perfectly

loudbang likes this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I used K-Y jelly once!