Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A slowly but surely build project - 1950 Olds Club Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loosewheel, Nov 13, 2018.

1. I purchased my next project this year mid-September. It is a 1950 Oldsmobile 88 Club Coupe that I've known since the late 1980's and it was love at first sight for me. It belonged to a hot rodder from my small hometown in North Alabama, he was that guy all us gear head teenagers looked up to and asked advise of when we were learning to work on old cars. Unfortunately he passed away several years ago & I was fortunate enough to coax his daughter into selling it to me. It has a lot of 80's ugly on it, but mostly in places that cant be seen. It has a early 70's Nova subframe (done correctly), a mid 70's 455 & 400 trans and was shaved-decked back in the day. The car hasn't ran in about 10-12 years and I just plan to make a few must change mods while also getting it up and running. I plan to build it with a traditional 60's Hot Rod/Street Racer look rather than going for the mild Custom look.

Attached Files:

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Congrats it looks good!:):)

loosewheel likes this.
  3. sololobo

sololobo

Oh my, I had a 49 coupe I sold when I got a 57 Bel Air Tudor. I have wished for it back every since. Sounds like a great approach on this beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loosewheel like this.
  4. Very nice! Looks really solid.

loosewheel likes this.

5. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

You got yourself a winner there.:D

6. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful car! I've always loved the grille/ front end on the Olds. These coupes were the best looking of the 49-52 GM's as far as I'm concerned.

7. Love those Olds Coupes. Did this model a few years ago because I'll probably never get to own a real one.:( 122-vi (3).jpg 121-vi (3).jpg

8. I like the name on the fender. That's traditional!

Phil

quick85 and loosewheel like this.
  9. Join the Olds club to find any missing trim. I wouldn't reinstall the hood and trunk trim. Just get the stuff where the holes are. These are great cars. It sits right, too.

jimmy six likes this.
  10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You did good!! 50 Olds coupe one of my favorite cars of all time.
    In 1965 I needed a 2nd car and bought a low mileage 88 coupe as my work car-it was near mint. Our regular car was a 65 Impala. That Olds was a much nicer car on long trips and a better driving car as well. Only lowered it a bit and had the shocks redone by and Olds guy-wish I still had it.

11. Król

Król

Great score! Love 49-50 Olds coupes, consider them to be the original muscle car.

loosewheel, pprather and olscrounger like this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I also bought one from an 'older hot rodder'. His was black, really nice paint, red and white Naugahyde interior.
    '57 J2 Olds, with factory 3 jugger. '37 LaSalle box, tall cane shifter...
    Someone helped him with the LaSalle installation, and the repairs after installing it.
    Fire the engine up, put it in reverse, let clutch out...car rolls a foot, "BANG!" Reverse goes, then some rattling.
    They remove thrnny, go to Sut's for some gears. Again. "BANG!"
    I ask Ronny if the car's for sale. He says, "Yeah...Four-and-a-half," I'll be back.
    Grandma and I drive to the bank, get the money, buy the Olds. I drive it home, in high gear. Jack it up and pull the trans. Call my bud 'Muff', he comes over, trans torn apart. Muff says "Spacers in main drive and cluster? Where are they?" Also a snap ring... LOL
    We get the parts from Muff's Cad-LaSalle stash, assemble the trans and install it.
    Vroooom! My Olds is fast, shifts nice, smooth. And it's beautiful. Cruises at 90, no issues. Gas mileage is worse than a straight 8 Buick! Still love it.
    My bud Don has a lowered '50 Olds 2 dr. hardtop. Runs good, for a 324. The name on the side of the car: Cat Sass. Don thinks we should race. He doesn't know everything... You can safely say I wiped the Cat's ass.:D

belair, Hnstray, loosewheel and 2 others like this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ol' Smokey Yunick changed the Olds' fans minds when his Hudson Hornet cleaned their clock at NASCAR...('course, Smokey was cheatin'...)

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Neat ole car, Thought you had the gas monkey 50 olds at first glance

loosewheel likes this.
  15. ......................What!! Cheating in NASCAR!.....Can't believe it.:rolleyes:

belair, Hnstray, loosewheel and 2 others like this.
  16. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Wow!! :cool: Bucket list car, for sure.
    Good luck with it.

loosewheel likes this.
  17. Thanks for the tip on the Olds Club, Phil.
    I actually have all of the exterior trim and he had many pieces re-chromed as well. I have my plans for the paint, those will hopefully appear on this thread later in the winter.

Chili Phil likes this.
  18. Great story Mike....

19. I have made some progress over the last month or so. I cleaned the brake lines, installed a new master cylinder and have the brakes working perfect. I purchased a used fuel tank, had it cleaned and installed a new pick-up/sending unit and cleaned the old fuel lines. The under carriage was painted (very 80’s) magenta and aqua!?!?!. I’ve cleaned and sprayed everything underneath matte black. Lastly I’ve swapped those horrible rally wheels and bias ply www’s with OE Chrome wheels and blackwalls. I’ll likely go back with www’s at some point. I’m currently rebuilding the Quadrajet and hope to smell smoke soon.

Attached Files:

20. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Sweet ride!! Lots of potential there. When I saw the first pictures my thoughts were to get some full wheel covers on it but I see you've made an improvement there. Looks better already!

lothiandon1940 and loosewheel like this.
  21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

An Olds powered Olds, can't wait to see this one back on the road.:D

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

One of my favorite body styles of all time... So much potential.

23. I like it a lot and most of the hard work is done.

Frankie47, olscrounger and loosewheel like this.
  24. goldmountain

goldmountain

Felt that I had to include these pictures I took about 40 years ago. Scan-181114-0001.jpg

25. Is that Tony's old car?

26. One of the dumbest things I ever did as turn down a free '50 Olds coupe the was rust free, I wanted it but I didn't have a place to store it.

I love these cars and look forward to watching you get it on the road. HRP

loosewheel likes this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Those Olds coupes have always been one of my favorite cars. Closest I came to one was a 51 convertible.

Gary

loosewheel likes this.
  28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cant say I love that but am curious what the headlights are from, first thoughts were 65ish ford galaxie or pontiac from around that same time, anybody know?

29. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

One of my Dad's buddies had a red with white top 50 Olds coupe back around 55 or 56. One of the first "hot cars" I remember .I was only 4 or 5 years old but I can still hear the rumble of that Rocket under the hood. He done a lot of street racing, Dad said if he would get beat the car went right in the garage and didn't come out until the engine had some more go fast goodies. I always wondered what ever happened to it as he moved away and we lost track of him.

loosewheel likes this.
  30. One of my favorite cars....yours looks killer! Love the direction you are going with it!

loosewheel likes this.