Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical flathead v8 in 37 plymouth

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by SuperKONR, Sep 26, 2018.

1. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

I can't do a mock up until I straighten out my frame, so I'm trying to see if anyone has put an 8BA into a stock '37 Plymouth frame before. Specifically trying to see if the stock steering box will fit, and if not what have people done to make things work?
    edit: What steering box do people use when swapping a V8 into an otherwise stock 37 Plymouth

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  2. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

You can use a 230" or the large 265" flatheads in your car that will bolt in. A built Mopar flathead 6 is hard to beat.... Literally...

Why would you want to use the Ford? Just curious...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HSF, LOU WELLS and Hnstray like this.
  3. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

Because I have a Ford motor, and a Plymouth body with no motor.

Atwater Mike, Hombre, CME1 and 2 others like this.
  4. A flathead Ford engine will just bolt into a Plymouth chassis?!?!? That's certainly news, to me

5. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I think he was saying a Plymouth flathead......

classiccarjack likes this.
  6. I think you're correct. As Emily Litella would say, "Never Mind." :oops:

Texas Webb and Hnstray like this.
  7. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I was referring to a 230 from a Dodge or Plymouth. And/or a Chrysler 265 Flathead six.

Sounds like he has a Plymouth Cab and a Ford Flathead engine. Trying to make a car out of what he has...

1927graham likes this.
  8. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Sounds like a good way to build a car you can’t sell. Just because you have the parts on hand does not make it a good idea.

scotty t and X38 like this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you have a flathead Ford V8 good enough to bother to install it, sell it to one of the die-hard flathead Ford guys and use the funds to acquire a superior flathead Mopar as classiccarjack suggested above. The 230 is a good choice, but even better would be the 250 or ideally, a 265 from a '52/'54 Chrysler Windsor.

Even a '49/'51 flathead Ford Six would be a better choice than the little cracked block 'boilermaker' V8. The sixes regularly kept up with or outran the V8s. They had lower advertised hp but higher torque than the V8s.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    1927graham, X38 and classiccarjack like this.
  10. Come on guys, give OP some credit for thinking a little outside the box.
    At least he's not one of those SBC lemmings. :rolleyes:

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

No. He's a flathead Ford V8 lemming.

Clay Belt, Hombre, HSF and 7 others like this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I may have recently become a hemi lemming. I hope that isn't a bad thing. :rolleyes:

13. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

There is a guy out there by the name of George Ashe. He ran a Chrysler 265 six in his hot rod. He was known to do in a lot of V8's back in the day.

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

OP post a pic of the engine bay..

15. Guys put Mopar motors in Fords all the time. What's the big deal about putting a Ford in a Mopar?
    Build what you want.
    OP, sorry, I can't help with fitment but wish you luck. Post some pics when you get it in there

GeezersP15 and LOU WELLS like this.
  16. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

Do you really thing I give a damn about selling it, considering I'm doing what I'm doing? I thought I was in the traditional hot rod section but apparently I've found the Hemmings concourse judge's break room, my bad...

17. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

It's all torn down at the moment, frame's bent 2" out of square. The steering box sticks inboard quite a bit. I'm sure a million people have stuffed mouse motors into these cars so I was just trying to see what people have done, without changing the stock suspension.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  18. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

I've put a Pontiac motor into a Mustang, I wonder if I should post pictures so they'll all puke a little more...
    Thanks, will do!

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You seem to misunderstand the point of replies. It isn't that posters object to a non-Mopar engine, it's the choice of a flathead Ford V8 specifically that is the issue, not originality. Usually, engine swaps offer the prospect of something better than what's being replaced. That doesn't seem to be the case here. Do what ever makes you happy and works for your purposes.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  20. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Sounds like an interesting swap to me. If you follow through, please post lots of pics.

LOU WELLS, RMR&C and SuperKONR like this.
  21. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

Yep well the point of the post was to get steering box ideas for the pre-determined engine swap, not to debate how badass the flathead v8 sedan will be. Will just figure it out myself when I get that far thanks

alanp561, LOU WELLS and Flathead Dave like this.
  22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Point taken.....

Ray

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

No help from my Plymouth coupe in my avatar. It had a custom 2x3 tube chassis. I can tell you a Willys nose fits great.

SuperKONR likes this.
  24. I met a guy the other summer running a Ford flat V8 in a '49 or '50 Dodge Coupe. A neat build and a very pleased owner but apparently I have no pics or info regarding your q's.

25. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Now That The Initial Dust Has Been Kicked Up And Hopefully Settled Please Post Some Photos Of Your Challenge And Perhaps The "Opened Minded" Folks Can Give Some Ideas...Thanks For Doing It Your Way...

GeezersP15 and RMR&C like this.
  26. Back in the '80s an itinerant grinder (knife, scissors, shear sharpener) came by our office. He worked out of a '49 Ford panel truck powered by a 225" Mopar slant 6 diesel that had a pto operating his grinding wheels and belt sanders. I thought it was odd at first, but he explained the many advantages of that marine diesel under the hood. He took the road less traveled, figuratively and literally.

27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

This is the hamb after all. You knew somebody was going to bust your balls a time or two .:p:D

Clay Belt and classiccarjack like this.
  28. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

I'm all for ball busting, have no problems with that. Just been wondering if there was gonna be a constructive steering box idea at some point or if we were just gonna keep on with the 27 pointless off topic replies.

LOU WELLS and 1927graham like this.
  29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

MoPar for a MoPar. Not a Ford.

30. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

My bad, 29 pointless off topic replies.