Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Hi-Temp Sealant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnod, Nov 12, 2018.

1. johnod

johnod

Has anyone used this stuff, or similar.
    Was thinking of trying it, but am sure it will be dried by the time I get things wrestled into place, something OT I'm afraid.

Anyone know if it has to be wet when things are bolted together?

Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Supposed to be tacky when you set it on and torque the heads down. I've used it, but I can't tell you if its really necessary or not. Lots of flathead owners swear by it.

3. A old machinist told me to use aluminum paint on head gaskets. The theory is the powdered aluminum pigment will fill in any small imperfections promoting a good seal. It also makes removing the gasket easier if need be. But I have yet to lose one with this method.

Even the cheap silver paint will work, just make sure the pigment is aluminum. Spray the paint on heavy until it's dripping off, then immediately install and torque the head.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    big duece likes this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Permatex Copper is good stuff. The instructions call for cinching up the parts together only finger tight and wait one hour. Then torque or tighten as required.

5. A friend of mine uses this on his Dodge flathead 6 and swears it makes the head gasket last longer.

I'm not so sure, he seems to replace head gaskets more often than I'd want to. :D

6. johnod

johnod

That's good news.

7. I use it on Farmall Head gaskets and have no trouble. I’ve even used it on paper gaskets that have given trouble sealing.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use it with my high compression GMC 6 on a Best gasket. Best sealant I've ever found but a real pain to clean off.

9. johnod

johnod

Alright think I have my answer, thanks all.

10. Andy

Andy

It glued the heads to the block when I used it. I had an extreme problem getting the heads off. It was only possible when I exerted enough force to tear the gaskets in two. I was using bolts instead of studs. I don't think I would have gotten them off if I had studs. Then it was terrible getting the stuff off the heads and block.

11. johnod

johnod

That doesn't sound good at all.

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was in high school an old mechanic told me that he would loosen all the head bolts one turn, then start the motor and rev it a couple times. He said it would blow the head loose slicker than owl shit on a green hickory limb. I've never tried that trick, but it just might work for a head that is glued on.

j-jock likes this.
  13. johnod

johnod

"slicker than owl shit on a green hickory limb" That's a good one.

Truck64 likes this.
  14. I have been using it for many moons, great on head gaskets and thermostat gaskets.
    All other gaskets I use GMSC, looks like baby's diaper fillings.

15. I have not used the spray on copper, but I have used the copper from a tube to seal gaskets with excellent results. Prior to that, I used aluminum paint, and found that I never had a failure.
    I have used the technique described by Ebbsspeed to loosen a stuck head with excellent results. I have also heard of the technique of pumping shop air in to loosen a cylinder on aircraft engines, but the first method works so well that I have tried it. Once the head is off, I used heat and a scraper, followed by a wire brush to remove the residue.
    The expression I was familiar with, was slicker than the bottom of a parrot's cage. When I want to express my dissatisfaction about something, or even how I was feeling, I say that I feel like 200 lbs of sun dried owl crap. It does remove any ambiguity about how I am feeling.
    Bob

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

In other words, it did it's job?

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It is a fairly common way to get heads loose.