Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features My Old Rivi Sells At Auction...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

My Old Rivi Sells At Auction...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool Car Ryan. Always will love these rides. Can't help you on the new owner other than he is probably quite happy.

3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The Borrannis make that car a whole other level of sexy...

HEMI32 likes this.
  4. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have had a tough time seeing that leave.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Those wheels...the tyres, just tips the whole thing into 60s concept car territory....beautiful....

Deuces likes this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Couldn’t figure out why in the hell you sold that beautiful car...... man those gold line bias plies are bitchin on there, I hope the new owner is smart enough to leave them on it.

54delray, Sancho, Rolleiflex and 3 others like this.
  7. There will always be a place in my heart for a 65 Riviera. Recently they've been getting really hard to find for sale, seems like people who own them tend to keep them. And I can't blame them.

mgtstumpy and Baumi like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

man... I just looked, 16,500. that seems cheap.....

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Remember when you were interested in a 65 Riv in Canton? I remember taken some pics of it for you.
    I too always loved these cars. Classy and sexy.
    Didn’t realized you actually owned one. Jealous.
    What a beauty!
    The later first year Monte Carlo reminds me of them.

10. 392

Sweet ride for sure. Beautiful lines.

11. They make for some beautiful rides. Hope you do in fact get another one day. Would love to have one myself. They are a work of styling art.

12. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Buick did a nice job when they introduce this model, people may not have realized back then, but today they are highly sought after

13. catdad49

catdad49

Just Beautiful!

14. verde742

verde742

I also regret letting my Riv get away, It was a '66 and I loved it,
    lace paint on top, hood, and top of trunk lid.. wires and all.....:(

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I heard by phone it sold for wayyyyy over that. Where did you get that price?

I haven't seen the car since I sold it, but if it's anywhere close to the condition it was in it's easily worth $30k these days. Hell, the wheels are worth $15k. I would have bought it back had I known it was gonna go for that cheap. Damn.

I only sold it cuz my buddy that painted it passed away... and everytime I looked at it, it made me sad.

54delray, bonesy, gsnort and 4 others like this.
  16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I understand, I was in Denison this weekend and had to do a drive by his shop. Good memories, good times.

I enjoyed your thread when you were driving the Riviera back. You had a kool adventure.

54delray, Sancho and Pinstriper40 like this.
  17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I got to drive that car, and it spoiled me on Rivieras forever. I'll have one someday. Such a nice car.

lothiandon1940 and NoSurf like this.
  18. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Is that all it sold for?! That seems crazy cheap!

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that is the price from mecums website. including the fees

54delray, Surfcityrocker and Sancho like this.
  20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That is cheap! Auctions are weird. The simple fact that the engine/engine compartment isn't detailed to spotless may have a bidder apprehensive, thinking the engine must be in need of 'work'. Though car auction prices are way down lately. You can buy a finished car much cheaper than building one.
    Was listed at no reserve;
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA1018-332591/1965-buick-riviera/

Here's to praying the new owner doesn't go stupid with billet engine compartment and wheels, ugh.

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It has since earned Milestone status from the Milestone Car Society. Jaguar founder and designer Sir William Lyons remarked that Mitchell had done "a very wonderful job," and Sergio Pininfarina declared it "one of the most beautiful American cars ever built; it has marked a very impressive return to simplicity of American car design." At its debut at the Paris Auto Show, Raymond Loewy said the Riviera was the handsomest American production car—apart from his own Studebaker Avanti, in his view the Riviera's only real competition for 1963.[9] The first-generation Riviera is considered a styling landmark, and is quite collectible today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Riviera

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've always felt the '65 Riviera specifically is the most beautiful car to ever come out of Detroit... and it's definitely the most comfortable. They just fit me like a glove... I've owned four of em!

lothiandon1940 and craig b blue like this.
  23. 2935ford

2935ford

I owned one for a short time.
    It was my High School buddies car and he wanted a few years newer Caddy and of all things heated seats, in SoCal!
    Mine was silver, black interior like yours with Cragar SS and Wide Ovals.
    One of the nicest cars I ever owned.
    The only pics I have of it are on super 8mm film somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

A turn key '65 Riviera with nice paint and Borranis goes for half the price of a new Altima? Excuse me while I go PUKE. If you've got some cash and space, it's a buyer's market for really good cars.

25. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

Ryan, I really wanted to buy your old car when you had it up for sale a few years back, but the timing just wasn't right. I remember checking it out at the LSRU around 2013 and it reigniting my want for another Riv, after I sold my black 64. I had bought and sold several 63-65's in the meantime, but none were "right."

Thankfully I am back in the Riviera game with a very nice 65 I picked up recently. I just installed the Skylark wires, and it will be pointed towards the ground soon. My plan is to hang on to this one as long as possible!

20180830_194052.jpg 20180930_150638.jpg 20181028_114347.jpg

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've always wanted a black one!

DirtyDan and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on sale -as stated, beautiful car - but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do

28. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

The sad truth about collector cars is that the market peaks when they are 35 or 50 years old. Old guys all buy what they wanted in high school. I wanted W motor Chevies, Corvettes and 64 GTOs. As beautiful as they are, Rivieras (or Studebaker coupes) weren't on the hoodlum radar at all.
    The next boom in the old car market will be early 80's SUVs, Blazers Broncos and Jeeps.
    I bet that Riv would have done better completely unmodified, with original Buick chrome steel wheels. I bet the market for even the nicest Rivieras and Cadillacs is less than the part out value.
    The good news of all that is that you can enjoy some really great cars for not a whole lot of money.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  29. [QUOTE="Ryan, post:

....I only sold it cuz my buddy that painted it passed away... and everytime I looked at it, it made me sad.[/QUOTE]

that is what it's about, Ryan, not just a car but a ride with friends, even if you're ridin' alone. more than a car, but thanks to the friends, memories and stories, it is growing to a personality.

Cheers, Carsten

54delray likes this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hands down, the classiest car ever offered by GM!
    My high school pals' mother had a friend with a ? 65 Riviera, was a factory 2x4 car, I was only 15 at the time so was not very savvy on cars yet and I remember thinking thats pretty cool, its got a Corvette engine.