Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Identify this rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Victor William Bryant, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm wondering all issues aside if this isn't a revamped older Hotrod perhaps 50's, 60's...

2. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I'd advise you to try to find a local hot rod club and have someone with experience look it over for you. NSRA has its Fellow Pages and you might find someone there.
    You could take it to a hot rod shop but just be aware that they may want to start a huge rebuild project. While that may be warranted, it could be costly.

3. It’s always a dodge ......
    Damn wassit threads and dodge !
    Lol:confused:

Looks like a decent start to something cool
    A lot of “questions” regarding assembly and quality there of
    Get it checked out by someone who knows
    Have fun , but be safe !

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Have fun an enjoy it,fix ackermen,an play,check out as much as you can,Looks nice ! AP4.jpg Over all looks cool
    ,dosen't matter what the body is as long you like it ! As long as vin # are right for frame your good. Hotrods are custom cars with tons of mods,so it dose not have to look like a 31 Ford anyway ! As for the frontend,only thing I see there in pic,is tierod out front{thats OK if done right},but spindle arms as is,don't go enough outword,ends /joints need to be a little more out nearer to tires for ackermen and would need a bit longer tierod.= The way it is now,will drive fine in a straight line,but in a turn the two front tires don't work together as they should. So they will slide more in dirt/water or higher speeds--thats why fairly good ackermen is needed for better turn control,so fix that. Frankly ,lots of hotrods have that misstake in there front ends,an bullheads* just keep driving that way,cuz they can't addmit* lie to there self about how it works good as is.. They been very lucky.
    Drawing shows the way the dotted line should go though the outer tierod joints and the kingpins for ackermen to work right. Something close is good,but a rear arm on the front is bad,or even a arm that is just straight out is not great ether.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    28 Ford PU, F&J and F-ONE like this.
  5. Is that the famed "Genny Cream Ale Special"?

6. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Oh come now...There is all sorts of Ackerman angle there....And none of it correct...………...

Chili Phil likes this.
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since you seem to have a lot of criticism on your car, I'd like to say that it really doesn't look that bad. While we all know that the tierod in front is a bad idea, no one seems to ask what components are used in the build. These are things you need to know if you ever need replacement parts. It has a Model A front axle, but what are those spindles and brakes? They aren't early Ford - smaller diameter. If you take pictures of the various components like rear axle, transmission, steering gear, etc. , maybe we can be of help.

loudbang likes this.
  8. 28/29 Ford coupe or sedan cowl and windshield, 30, 31 radiator shell, doors, and cut off Pickup cab, Model A front suspension. It's an "A" Bone from a 28 P/U cab front and unknown sedan rear body.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  9. bymanr

bymanr

IMG_0895.PNG Doesn't resemble a 28/29 PU cowl to my eye.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

+2!

Pretty ride tho...

11. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

It's a fad car !

12. touring20

touring20

Body is 29 dodge fourdoor grill surround is Oakland . Looks like fun , the aim for this build is the Early sixties , love the upholstery !
    Look up the locale car club and ask them to take a peek , maybe join if you want .
    Fix the Ackerman as previous said . Look for anything that can rub though fro vibration
    Heat especially brake lines , fuel lines ! Have fun !

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it is for sure a Combined parts body but that was reasonably common in the early and mid 70's when guys scrounged what they cold find to piece a body together.
    With no dropped axle and dropped steering arms I don't see a reason in the world why you couldn't swap the steering arms behind the axle where they belong.
    The shock brackets look like they would flex a bit without any gussets on the sides to strengthen them. Appearance wise they look a bit like an afterthought as in (oh crap I have to have shocks to pass inspection tomorrow) rather than well planned out. I probably wouldn't do anything with it until I decided to repaint the car though.
    The keg just looks like someone was trying too hard to be cool, Again a popular 70's thing to run a keg for a gas tank but that is the first vertically mounted one I have seen.
    I'd agree, find someone who is seriously knowledgeable about how to build a hot rod right and have them go over it. That is to see if it is safely constructed chassis.steering and brake wise without any suspect items that may be a safety issue. That list could include the quality of the welds, making sure that all the steering linkage is secure and in good shape and if it needs a cotter key or lock nut it has one. Making sure the steering box is mounted safely. Then back making that the rear suspension is mounted in a safe manner and that the brake system is in good shape.
    Here ascetics don't count as long as they don't factor in a safety issue. The front mounted tie rod might factor in there as while it isn't necessary on that car because there is plenty of room to have it behind the axle the builder may have thought that was a T bucket style rod requirement from looking in rod magazines at the time.
    Get it checked, out, deal with a few issues and go have fun and if someone comments on why it says it is a Model A just say that the original builder though he had drug Model A body pieces home and leave it at that.

14. Come on man, you have to look at all the posts, we already have pictorial evidence of Dodge body origins.:rolleyes:

15. Johnny cash car, one piece at a time, but looks good

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If I were to buy it I would at purchase take the owner to the DMV and give him his money only if the title transfer to you works!
    NOTHING in the description of model and year is correct and that might or might not be a killer issue. Also the serial number it is registered under has to be either a state issued one or a fraudulent use of whatever is stamped on some random part. Every state and every office is different...might be no problem, might be the end of the road.

17. henry29

henry29

It could be a 31 ford frame

28 Ford PU likes this.