Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I Bought a 1957 Mercury Montclair Convertible, Now what??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55styleliner, Nov 1, 2018.

1. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Correct. The engine in this car is a Lincoln Y-Block. The M-E-L engine was introduced in 1958.

It's perfect as it is. Just drive it!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  2. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

agreed!

3. I would not change a thing except maybe add A/C. Restored 57 Mercs are rare and worth a fortune.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Just a nice mild drop, then drive it over to my place and toss me the keys. That's all I can see it needs

belair likes this.
  5. 'Mo

'Mo

It's WAY unlike me to leave things be, but that thing is just perfect as is!
    If you do go the lakes pipes route, I would also use accessory Merc spotlight/mirrors,
    either stationary or adjustable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    55styleliner and loudbang like this.
  6. ken bogren

ken bogren

I like the lakes pipes idea. They would visually lower the car without having to actually mess with the suspension. Other than that, I'd redo the coves in silver or red. Those Mercury spotlights would be cool too, but they'd mean messing with the body and paint a little bit, so unless you are removing other trim, badges etc that are going to need paint work, I think I'd skip those.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Use the new wide whites, but after lowering replace the front wheels with a pair of new T-Bird wire wheels. You won't see the rears...Nix the lakes pipes, this KOOL KEMP doesn't need them.

55styleliner likes this.
  8. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I am thinking of painting the coves red or black until I can get the aluminum inserts properly restored. It really pops like that. Looking at pictures of other cars, mine seems to sit lower already, not sure how much more if any I am going to lower it.
    Mercury_Convertible_1957.jpg
    9725167173_e1e98438af_b.jpg
    P1015666-001.JPG

Okie Pete, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

Think about the time this car is from....Detroit finally "got" the ideas that customizers had been using for several years. The expensive new cars were factory customs, lower, wider, sleeker, big motors, fancy accessories. Cars like the Turnpike Cruiser were made to be what you would buy if you wanted a top of the line custom, but could afford to buy it factory new.

I think that's what everyone is getting at, without maybe realizing why.

fill up the trunk with stuff for a road trip, it will get the lowered tail dragger look, all by itself.

I also think you would do well to keep modifications to a minimum.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. 'Mo

'Mo

Actually, I believe the stationary kind may simply replace the stock mirrors. That would leave just a hole to drill for the wire, which would be covered. (I expect them to be pricey, however.)

loudbang likes this.
  11. ken bogren

ken bogren

Ahha! Well that would be cool because they'd really enhance the car!

'Mo and loudbang like this.
  12. 'Mo

'Mo

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  13. 55styleliner

55styleliner

It has the Gold/Copper Anodized aluminum cove inserts, but they have faded and have lots of small dings (maybe light hail damage). I plan to restore them and re-install, but I assume that is going to take time and $$$. I could paint them gold to simulate the same look for the interim. But I thought it might be fun to try something different for the short term.

loudbang likes this.
  14. I would drop the front 2" and put the 15" wheels on it. Not much would I modify. Just do the TLC and go cruise. If it needs mufflers, I'd go with some cherry bombs, but that's just my liking the popping.

15. My father in law gave me a 4 dr hardtop with the electric back window, I needed a car bad to go to work so I drove it ducking down and hiding from all my friends, traded it for a black 56 Buick Century hard top after a couple of months, was really glad to be in the Buick.
    These Mercs are pretty good handling and fast, and as the guy said above Juke Box Cars

loudbang likes this.
  16. 55styleliner

55styleliner

17. 55styleliner

55styleliner

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Looks great! never noticed side indentions in a bumper for exhaust before, those tail lights in the bumper looks like signature mercury equipment too that Ive noticed in 60s up stuff before but never remember noticing in the 50s:cool:
    Very interesting awesome ride!

loudbang and 55styleliner like this.
  19. This is an extremely rare hi dollar car. It would be wrong to make any major change to this that you could never reverse. I can see maybe a set of dual quads, a good exhaust, maybe a mild solid lifter cam but leave the cosmetics alone other than restoring and preserving items. Even the stock wheel cover are a thing of beauty. I recently went through this same quandary with a mint 53 Lincoln Capri Convertible I owned for several years. I was tempted to stab a Fat Man Clip onto it, add a power rack and pinion, discs, A/C, pipes, the whole ball of wax. Just before I was going to fuck it up a fellow waved 50 large in my face and away it went, still unmolested.

20. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make it safe , drop it and drive it.

55styleliner likes this.
  21. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know you've had a ton of advice and opinions but I'll throw in my two cents anyway. I'd leave that beautiful car alone aside from cosmetic personal touches like hubcaps, little non-permanent changes to make it yours. The car has great lines, a very nice choice of color and sits just right. It doesn't need lowering (imho); just drive the tires off it!

22. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

23. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

Wow, I'm jealous. Makes me miss my 57 Turnpike Cruiser more than I already do.
    Sort it out, keep it original, drive the wheels off of it, and enjoy every mile.
    Congratulations - so cool.

24. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

25. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

Just to add a bit more "pain", my TC was orchid with gold anodized cove trim and a black/white interior. Full power, autoluber, memory seat. Found and installed factory skirts, and made every eyeball in my zip code pop out when I drove it. Was a four door hardtop, but so what??!!
    Looking for a two door hardtop now, will look good next to my two 58 Edsel big-bodies and 55 Merc Montclair two door hardtop, don't you think?

55styleliner likes this.
  26. 'Mo

'Mo

It is difficult to suggest any changes at all, but how about this tasty mod?
    Front bumper cavities have been filled with chrome tail light grills, frosted clear lenses.
    (You could also replace the Mercury "M" in the center with your own initials.;))

(Photoshop by Fif-t-3)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  27. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

I've got a Hilborn FI unit that fits that engine. Check it out on EBAY if you're interested.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  28. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

beautiful. lowering, yes. maybe a fuel injection setup for driveability.

loudbang likes this.
  29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

1957 Turnpike Cruiser ad on Ed Sullivan show

williebill and loudbang like this.
  30. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

High SchooS friend had one. Four door hardtop with the breezeway rear, continental kit, skirts twin antennas at the corner of the upper windshield. Push button trans selector in the center of the steering wheel. He could never go any where by himself in the car. Always needed one or two friends along to chip in for gas. That thing was a gas hog without peer. 8 mpg max.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    55styleliner and loudbang like this.