Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shipping UPS? Crazy Rate Promotion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrCreosote, Nov 8, 2018.

1. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Long story short: Ground Residential is 30% discount, Ground Commercial is 38% for 1-20#, more discount for heavier weights.
    International is 61%.

Have to signup by Monday.

Rates stay in effect to 2044

Below is table data copied - if you work at it, you can navigate it with the above references.

Tier Incentive
    UPS will apply the following incentives to each eligible package tendered to UPS. These incentives apply to all zones unless otherwise specified.
    Incentives apply to Outbound, Freight Collect, Third Party, Returns® and Undeliverable (where applicable).
    Weight (lb) Domestic International
    Next Day Deferred Air Ground Comm Ground Resi Export Import Canada Standard
    1 - 20 60% 55% 38% 30% 66% 46% 25%
    21 – 50 65% 60% 42% 35% 71% 51% 30%
    51 and up 70% 65% 46% 40% 71% 51% 30%
    Letters, Documents & Paks will apply the 1-20lb Incentive from their respective service level.
    Domestic Air CWT Domestic Ground CWT International Express Freight
    40% 35% 40%
    Additional Incentives
    UPS will also apply additional incentives to the following services:
    Accessorial Domestic Domestic
    Cubic Inches Dim Divisor
    Delivery Area Surcharge
    25%
    All 166
    Delivery Area Surcharge Extended
    Residential Surcharge
    Additional Handling Charge
    Large Package Surcharge
    Address Corrections
    UPS Smart Pickup ®
    UPS On Call Pickup ®
    Delivery Confirmation – No Signature
    Saturday Delivery – Air
    Saturday Pickup
    Initials

2. F&J

F&J

I assume that only applies if you have a business, and have an active shipping account?

The rest of us are stuck with UPS "stores" to ship our leftover parts. UPS "stores" are a rip off here. They are "owner operated" stores I think, and have idiotic pricing..

How about $550 quote for a rear axle center section chuck, already packed in a wood box from CT to NV ? FedEx Store was $140, but I had to do a one hour round trip plus gas$, for one $125 sale ! I have to use US Mail, as it's the only thing local to me, but a lot of stuff I have is too large or too heavy. Ups should go out of business, that would be well deserved payback. Greed, pure and simple. The house of cards is falling in this economy, which is tanking for most people I have talked with. Those discounts show panic for the greedy overpaid CEO's

3. True story.... I quit using UPS unless I'm desperate because no matter how I price a package on the UPS site, the local store always wants more.

modelkitbasher and 302GMC like this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm like you F&J, it's pretty much USPS for me, too. If it's too big for them, it's local pick up or I might meet somebody within a reasonable difference. I had to overnight some papers a few years ago via UPS, company wouldn't accept them from anywhere else, what a PIA that was. Had to drive 40 miles to a UPS store, and it was on a University campus. Other than some nice looking co-eds, the whole deal stunk.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. 100% Matt

100% Matt

How do you sign up? I logged into my UPS account and I dont see anything

6. squirrel

squirrel

there's a UPS depot on my way into town, it ships at normal UPS rates, not Store rates. It's still very expensive.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into this today. Although in the past, when I've tried to sign up to UPS on the internet, it's all kinds of "doesn't work". Maybe I'm not computer savvy enough.

rod1 likes this.
  7. F&J

F&J

I have a lot of stuff to downsize at my age nearing 67, but C/L does not work for vintage parts, at least for me.

Ebay tanked due to greed in the ways they changed it, and now most people don't even look on there now, compared to 5-8 years ago.

And...the constantly rising shipping costs including US Mail, often kill the sale even on a free ad site like Hamb, I can't find lookers at Swap Meets for vintage stuff, so the stuff will sit here... or get scrapped if I'm forced to move to a smaller place, I guess.

Even US Mail decreased the size of "large" Flat Rate boxes, so that hurts potential Hamb sales inquiries, too.

8. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

You don't need a business. I already had an eBay/UPS acct number. I told them I sell on eBay at the very most 1 package a week. I even told them for small stuff, I use the USPS fixed rate boxes - only use UPS for bigger stuff or high value. Still, they wanted to upgrade me (you an get a UPS discount account from eBay if you are a member.)

You have to call and ask to speak to someone about getting a better deal if you have an account or get a new account - the rep told me she was trying to get as many people as possible signed up by Monday.

FYI: 42# from Pittsburgh to OH: UPS retail $31, w/eBay discount $27, with promo "easy" code 20% off $21.

My FedEx discount account was $24.

This new account is THIRTY PERCENT OFF residential and 38% to commercial address.

These are CRAZY EDDIE prices!

Hnstray and wraymen like this.
  9. Hey Frank, tell us what you really think.:D

Ben

56don likes this.
  10. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Hey, don't rule out freight. The rates vary - maybe as much as 3X.

I used to ship ABF which was 15 min from me. It was pretty cheap. Then they "consumerized" their website and their rates went up 2-3X. Yellow was still cheap but a 25 min drive.

I wouldn't have a second thought shipping bare Studebaker blocks of which I have a glut of.... Will do just that when I have the time/motivation (motivation unfortunately is waning...

Then there is freightquote.com which eBay points you too, but it may be more xpensive than finding the best deal yourself.

And then there is uShip.com for the genuine CheapSkate! Everyone from DIYers to pros. (You can make good money doing pet shipments in your own car.) But beware, their fees to the shippers are not low.

11. little red 50

little red 50

If you ever have to file a claim for damaged goods all the savings will not be worth it. UPS is never wrong, and it is almost impossible to collect. I try to avoid UPS at all costs. I find vendor's who will ship using other methods just to avoid UPS. I hope they do a better job in your area.

XXL__ likes this.
  12. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I always buy stuff :)

XXL__ and F&J like this.
  13. F&J

F&J

Does UPS then pick up at your place with that account? or do you need to take it to a genuine UPS terminal?

14. F&J

F&J

F&J said:
    I have a lot of stuff to downsize at my age nearing 67, but C/L does not work for vintage parts, at least for me.

This is pricelessss LOL... 100% Matt just happened to be going past my place during a freaking tag sale when I was really scratching for bucks this spring... but he left emptyhanded.. o_O

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

So far I have shipped a blower, some injectors, spindles and hubs, a watch, and headlight stands using this promotion. I had an account but signed up for this not using it. Most of what I shipped went straight to the truck from my house. But the blower and stands I took to the store. All had labels I printed here. I just handed them to the driver or the store guy. A lot cheaper than it used to be. You must print your own label and do all the paper work yourself, I think. Can't just take it to the store with an address.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Yes, UPS are heathen scum bags when it comes to claims. I don't think FedEx is much better. USPS is the only one that doesn't dick you around.

UPS will pickup from your home for $6 I think. This deal has 25% discount for that and all other options.
    You can drop off at Staples too. Check with UPS for other drop off locations.

Hey, if you are selling RARE on CL, you WILL get contacted. I sold $2500 of Golden Hawk McCulloch blowers and mounts to a guy from Texas with a CL ad. I also just shipped a 75 Torino power steering box to a guy in OH again from CL.

Yes, I think you have to print your labels because that process also charges your account.

My issue with selling on eBay is that if you get jerked around by the Buyer, you have to pay for return shipping or offer a complete refund and tell them to keep the item. So if shipping is worth 25-50% of the item value, you are taking a risk. But risk varies by type of item. Auto parts are pretty good folk. Audio/Video home items are a bitch - those guys are crazy - they whine about every little thing. Don't know about train collectors, but am guessing they are OK.

But with significantly cheaper rates, I will be inclined to sell more items on eBay. Of course I'll charge the retail rate and make some profit to put in my Butt **** Kitty.

ALSO: HAMB RULES! I posted this on the Studebaker Club site, RacingStudebakers, and all 3 Viper forums and the response here is INSANE - one response from all those others so far.

little red 50 and F&J like this.
  17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'm not sure what you are talking about... commercial or personal? Is there a link for this "offer" or "subscription" or whatever? PS I normally ship UPS from the desk at Staples or directly at the UPS terminal. Never at a UPS store. Gary

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Nothing wrong with a UPS store. As long as you enter the shipping info and print the label yourself at home. Then you go to the UPS store and just drop off the package. Walk by and throw it in the door if you want. Or if you see a UPS truck, give it to the driver. You pay with a credit card when you print the label. I saw an online offer when playing solitaire and clicked it. Easy peasy.

Hnstray and 100% Matt like this.
  19. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

When you ship UPS (or FedEx) you have to say whether the delivery is Residential OR Commercial. If Residential, FedEx ads $5 and UPS something similar. It's always been that way.

To get setup, you have to call UPS and talk to someone to get this deal. (I think you can get a UPS account throug eBay that actually also has some discount but nothing even close to this.)

20. XXL__

XXL__

I used to own an ultra-high-end loudspeaker manufacturing company... we hired UPS (read as "paid money to them") to "consult" on product packaging design (product was 50-110# per unit, and was trapezoid shaped, so had 2 "sharp" ends that could submarine through the packaging if sufficiently abused (ie, any time UPS touches a package). I had to design the packaging, and the extent of their consultation was to "certify" it (they even gave us a pretty letter/certificate stating their approval). One of our shipments was damaged... one (of 2) box had been dropped and the speaker submarined out the end (Note: the package they certified for us passed a 6 _FOOT_ drop scenario with flying colors in the test lab!). We filed a damage claim. They refused, stating the product wasn't adequately packaged. Bastards.

We fought it with a few attorney demand letters, and they finally paid... for the ONE that was damaged, even though the electronic parts were pair-matched and exotic veeners were bookmatched for the PAIR (think of UPS losing ONE shoe from a PAIR of one-of-a-kind shoes, then only paying you for one. What are you supposed to do with the other one? A single shoe is worthless to most buyers).

For anyone interested, I've attached Googled pic of a couple of our models that dealers or customers have taken so you can see the sharp edges I mentioned. I have quality pics somewhere... just not handy.

2018-11-08 16.01.25.png
    download (1).jpeg

little red 50 and F&J like this.
  21. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

UPS has no shame. They wouldn't pay my cousin who had a picture frame crushed - you could see the tire track on the package. An interesting note: some UPS locations won't take glassware. Some do. I do't know if it is a regional problem or perhaps they have bad handling at some locations so they refuse to take delicates.

Pretty bad a$$ speakers. I'me a "retired" mid-end audio buff. Had Acoustat 2+2, Appogee Stage, B&W DM6, 801, 801F, Paradigm, DCM QED, Time Frame, C-V Q1 (haha), Magneplanar II. The 801 woofers COULD NOT handle the bass in Do the Humpty Hump by Digital Underground. The DM6's did just fine.

But of all my 6" 2-way infinite baffle towers Phase Researches had the most razor sharp imaging I had to play all my records over again. The Xovers were a bit harsh and the bass light (but ultra fast) but they were simply my favorite for listening. I always wanted a set of 808's out of curiosity.

Now with Home Theater and ATMOS, virtually no one takes the time to listen to a high end stereo system. Most people listen to music in their cars where Blue Tooth has taken us back to the Dark Ages in sound quality.

Most of he above are gone except two sets of the PR's. Still have the TF's and Paradigms.

Some other stuff:
    • Oh, and I bot a 2x2x6ft home made subwoofer off a kid. Had 2 15 Beckers and 2 15 passives. It was boomy but it could put out the energy.
    • Had a 33 band Techniques equilizer w/cal microphone and signal generator.
    • Played with DBX Sub-Harmonic Synth.
    • SAE 5000.
    • Still have a Akai 747 and some ordinary TEAC.
    • Had Super Beta, Super VHS, an D-VHS decks.
    • DVD recorders w/HD's.
    • JVC 900 switcher which was the bomb for pre-digital. Now nothing like that with HDCP 2.2 and all that crap.
    • Total 4k junky - have a 55 - watch it with toes about touching screen(!) I stream anything off internet and watch way, to much TV, but that will subside since I've actually "caught up" and have watched "everything that ever existed" that would interest me.

22. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Yes, UPS and the UPS Stores both suck. I bought a PERFECT 34 Ford door from a guy off ebay about 15 years ago. He took the door to a UPS Store to have it boxed so it was done "right". They charged about $150 (15 years ago) just to box it. It was insured for $800. When it arrived it was falling out of the box and had damage to multiple areas. The boxing job was a total joke....just the outside box with no liners or cushion. UPS fought me all the way on the claim. They said it was the UPS Store's fault. The UPS Store said it was UPS shipping's fault. After getting body shop quotes, and finally finding a local office that was willing to help, I got back about $300 from UPS. Barely enough to cover the horrible boxing and part of the shipping costs. The UPS Store in Chicago paid nothing. I have NEVER used UPS since then.

F&J and XXL__ like this.
  23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I sent a 72 Mercury Comet front bumper though the USPS mail. Wrapped it in bubble wrap and brown paper and stuck a label on it. It was right at their length limit but pretty lightweight. Made it from AL to NC in three days. Undamaged at that. I was impressed.

24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Over 12,000 items shipped via USPS in the last 10 years. One item lost. Not one damaged.
    Not one damaged. Yes, I said it twice.
    I overpack every item. I double box anything fragile

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You just need my daughter to deal with filing the claim. Working at her job in a call center she would call UPS 20 or more times a day on damage claims to among other things big screen TV units. You would figure that someone would have to be a real idiot to walk across the side of a 60 inch screen tv box but she has had to deal with it and had the photos of the foot prints to back it up. That said, I receive a lot of packages via UPS and the only thing I have received damaged was very poorly packaged.

26. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In keeping with the UPS theme I came home this evening and had a box sitting on the front steps. I had ordered a set of longer than stock radiator support rods from Summit about 4 days ago. Thought cool that was pretty quick shipping. I bring it inside and noticed a tear on the corner and guess what. No frigging rods anywhere to be found inside! UPS dropped a completely empty box with a hole in it on my doorstep. I wasn't there at the time. I have two problems here. First is the dipshit who took 2 stainless steel rods and threw them in a box with nothing covering the sharp ends, no wrapping, no bubble pack, no tape, nothing. I assume it left Summit as an intact unit. Second is the beating anything takes once it is in UPS's hands it. It boggles my mind the shape of some of the packages that show up here. They all have obviously been through hell and back and if they can drop the shit on your doorstep and run they will. I could go on and on... The end result of this is I called Summit this evening and waited on hold for a bit. Spoke to a customer service rep and a new set of rods will be here tomorrow. Great service and customer support.

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've only had one claim with UPS. They paid quickly and without a hassle. I was the recipient, not the shipper. Gary

28. whateverit takes

whateverit takes
    from Florida

As an alternative to UPS I used Fastenal to ship a 175lb station wagon tailgate with glass from Western MI to Long Island NY for $150. The load just needs to be tied to a pallet. It may take a few days longer due to their logistics. I too prefer USPS and even FEDEX to UPS.

Ernesto.

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Living in Canada UPS shove their brokerage fees where the sun doesn’t shine.

I refuse to order anything that can’t be shipped any way other than UPS.

Getting stuff from the US is painful enough with exchange rates and shipping without adding their unreasonable charges on top of it.

30. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Word around here is all the UPS trucks will be sitting Monday, out on strike.....