Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Soon enough...
    45638677_1423854084414580_4661213901952647168_n.jpg

1947knuck, brEad, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

An update on progress. Dennis Webb told Pat that it would have been better to have the car present when he built the nose, he certainly was correct. Since I am still in the learning stage on pounding aluminum, I am lucky to have master metal man Chris Kopp, to help me with the fit and finish on this phase of the car. Chris has worked at Indy shops, for and with the best names in vintage oval track cars, Midgets, Sprints and Indy cars. Men like Jerry Weeks, Don Brown, Don Edmunds, A.J. Watson, and Jackie Howerton, to name a few. The green tape line in the 3rd photo shows where the hood lap line needs to be when completed. Now for the big news, Pat and I, along with my pal Jim Lindsay Will be sharing a booth at the GNRS, in the main hall. Jim graciously agreed to exchange his 10 X 10 space for a 10 X 20, so we would have room for the car. Jim will be selling his book "The Little Bastards", and his latest "Swerve", along with Pat hawking some of his books as well, we hope to meet some of you in person ! IMG_2239.JPG IMG_1869.JPG IMG_2196.JPG

1947knuck, Stogy, The 39 guy and 15 others like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have another interesting project in the shop. I met the owner a short while back at our weekly cruise . It's very unusual,in that it has a 1923 Fiat body, and some pretty good local history. One thing I really appreciate is, the owner is a very hands on guy, isn't afraid to get dirty, and easy to get along with. He is going the extra mile, as far as sourcing all of the missing parts to make a reasonably correct restoration. My task is building a new chassis to replace the original, as it was a victim of a hacker. The sheet metal is in unbelievable condition, and complete. Puritan 2.jpg Puritan 1.jpg IMG_2207.JPG IMG_2208.JPG IMG_2226.JPG IMG_2221.JPG puritan 3.jpg

1947knuck, TerrytheK, Stogy and 21 others like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Whoa that thing is crazy

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

I'm pretty sure I posted more photos of it in either the 60's thread https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ome-on-post-pictures-of-what-you-like.132391/

or the vintage photo thread. And I think in the just louvers thread too.

But it was some time ago and you would have to go backward through a bunch of photos to find then unless you know how to search by that photo in threads on here because the rest of them are posted with that photo.

1947knuck, enloe and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I got the radiator mounted, using 10 ga lower plates and base clips. All pieces connected to the side channels will be tig welded with silicone bronze. The 3/4 round tube hoop will be used for the grille shell, upper mounting support. IMG_2240.JPG IMG_2245.JPG IMG_2251.JPG IMG_2252.JPG IMG_2253.JPG IMG_2256.JPG IMG_2257.JPG IMG_2259.JPG IMG_2260.JPG

1947knuck, Ranchero59, Stogy and 24 others like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have been working on the front shock links, and getting started on the hood. The hood mounting required a flange added to the cowl for the hood to rest on. Some 18 guage CR steel and the shrinker took care of that. My slip roll is only a 36 ", and the hood will be around 38" long in the finished state, so I used a friend's 48" roll. By getting some shape started to match the front and rear contours, I can carry on with the English wheel, and some arching by hand. Time is running out, but we will be at the GNRS, in the main hall, stop and see us if you are in town ! IMG_2313.JPG IMG_2314.JPG IMG_2315.JPG IMG_2320.JPG IMG_2321.JPG IMG_2322.JPG IMG_2323.JPG IMG_2325.JPG IMG_2326.JPG IMG_2327.JPG

1947knuck, cactus1, Drewfus and 20 others like this.
  8. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

This should really be a Rodders Journal bare metal feature with a history of the original car in the future!!!

slv63, brad2v, Just Gary and 4 others like this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I do know a rather tall individual, who used to work there !

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

One of the more challenging aspects of this car, has been the fuel tank and mounting. With the frame ending ahead of the rear axle, and having 75% of the tank hanging behind the frame tail, and a 10 gallon tank filling the turtle deck area, things get tight. At the front, where the straps clamp, I will incorporate a tie bar between the roll bar tower uprights, that should add sufficient support. This was the one reported problem with the original car. Having a winning record on ovals, they raced the mile dirt at Phoenix, Roy Prosser qualified it on the pole. In the main event, while leading the race, the fuel tank broke loose, due to the rough track, and ended Roy's day ! Battery box is next. IMG_2333.JPG IMG_2336.JPG IMG_2337.JPG IMG_2342.JPG IMG_2340.JPG IMG_2343.JPG IMG_2344.JPG IMG_2345.JPG IMG_2347.JPG

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Love your build. When it's all over, I'd be interested to know how many parts on the car were either not custom made or not modified! Like 6 total? LOL Gary

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  12. Gofannon

Gofannon

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Marty, I have really enjoyed seeing all the build details of you building this car for Pat and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'm also going to be a little sorry when (your part) is finished.
    I didn't go back and see where the debut will be but I am no longer trekking south to the CHRR on a regular basis so I'll not get to see its debut wherever that is and I'm sure it will be beautiful when finished but it's the "in the flesh" part that I really like anyway.
    Happy Holidays

Stogy likes this.
  14. Marty said the car will be at the up coming GNRS in bare metal.

Stogy and pprather like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Any photos would sure be preciated Dean.
    And Marty too of course.

Stogy likes this.
  16. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

The car will probably plastered all over the internet after the GNRS. But, I agree we should have our own private HAMB collection.

Stogy, brad2v, tractorguy and 2 others like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Doug, maybe you should plan a trip out here in Mid-January, and look it over before it leaves town, we might be able to stop at Helvetia for a burger !

1947knuck and Stogy like this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary, it's funny that most of the stuff I build, require lots of custom parts. It makes the job go slower but there is some satisfaction in the end. Thanks for your interest !

1947knuck, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now for the good part. My Christmas came a couple of weeks ago, scoring this gem. It's complete, and in remarkable condition. I think I am going to build a chassis, buff the black paint and drive it for now. Thanks to my pal Bob Jones for taking the time to haul and unload all the pieces, I couldn't have done it without his help. Merry Christmas to all ! IMG_2296.JPG IMG_2297.JPG IMG_2300.JPG IMG_2302.JPG IMG_2305.JPG

1947knuck, enloe, bymanr and 15 others like this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Boy, I've been wanting to do that since the last time you suggested that Marty and not just for those deluxe Helvetia Tavern burgers.
    I kind of need to know what day you will be leaving as I just had shoulder surgery (again):mad: yesterday, will be slinged up for five or six weeks but I have driven two weeks after previous surgeries with the sling, just need to be careful, sorry about mucking up this thread Marty.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Marty,
    I HATE you. That RPU is beyond bitchen. If you get a chance, stop by on your way through to or from the GNRS.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We will figure it out .

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dale, Do you have a landing strip that will handle a 737 ? With Dean's being the ultimate, I might have to settle for something similar to the black one for a while, at least. Dean Lowe 5.jpg Dean Lowe 6.jpg

hotrodfil, 1947knuck, enloe and 9 others like this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

So does that mean that cool old Ford transporter isn't going to be finished in time Marty!?

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Marty...Your engineering combined with 'fidelity to design' are still evident in this project.
    It's a signature.
    The Spalding Bros. roadster... Now it's back. But so much better this time around.

Stogy, loudbang and brad2v like this.
  26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

As much as I wanted to deliver it in the COE, I am only one man, an OLD one at that ! Here again, it all comes down to friends, my old buddy Jim Lindsay will be bringing it in his enclosed trailer. He was already going to sell his books, and the chance to share a booth with Pat, made it the transport possible.

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mike, You are Too Kind !

28. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Marty, No, not a 737, something a little smaller, yes. And, I have some new model A rails I could make you a great deal on.

loudbang likes this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hearing that!
    Can I buy some of your extra energy IF you have it?
    I hadn't fully kept up on the cabovers' progress, the 737 part derailed me though.
    Take lots of digital film (batteries) with you, looking forward to the coverage.

Stogy likes this.
  30. tractorguy

tractorguy

Marty......thanks for the early "Christmas gift" of the great updates on the roadster. And......there you go again with mentioning the Helvetia Tavern......we love having our daughter and son in law back close to us in Chicago.....but sure miss the visits to Helvetia Tavern when they lived in Oregon.

Stogy and loudbang like this.