Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My shoebox - 180° change in my thinking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 6, 2018.

1. When I bought my '50 Ford coupe I was thinking about lowering it and using some interesting hub caps, maybe even a set of Cadillac sombrero's I have been hanging onto for years in case I ever got around to building custom car.

I have seen so many custom shoebox Fords built on the hamb that really impressed me but when I put the 5 spoke wheels on the coupe and had to remove the lowering blocks on the rear the car took on a hot rod stance and after staring at it the past few days it just doesn't sit like a custom anymore.

The 351 Cleveland doesn't have the mellow tone of your conventional custom, it's got a pretty good lick.

I don't remember ever changing direction when building a car or truck in the past but this car just want's to be a hot rod. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Danny, I have one word for you.

GASSER!! Do it!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    charleyw, kiwijeff, 302GMC and 9 others like this.
  4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I think it looks killer as is

Clay Belt and loudbang like this.

5. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sure looks like it developed an attitude when it raised up- yep, bad attitude, jacked up, thumpy exhaust, it's a hot rod now.

kiwijeff, HOTRODPRIMER and loudbang like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was at a local HAMBer's garage discussing such things last week when I suggested that the car I am building is not subject to my whims and desires alone but the car itself has a say in the process.

Michelangelo, has been said, worked to free the image from the stone in front of him with hammer and chisel. Not so much an act of creativity but one of rescue. I'm not suggesting you start painting a mural on your dinning room ceiling anytime soon but I for one respect your process and progress.

charleyw, kiwijeff, Uncle Bob and 7 others like this.
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yep, go with the flow, Grasshopper, it looks good.

HOTRODPRIMER, Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  8. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I think it looks bitchin that way!

dan c, HOTRODPRIMER and loudbang like this.
  9. wicarnut

wicarnut

Looking Good !

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. [​IMG]
    Just let those hot rod thoughts flow..

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I like the way it sits, but just a little lower would be even more sinister looking. I think Rocky's sled nailed it.

Clay Belt and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I like it as well.:cool: Two ideas that you could toss around are ; 1) install side trim, 2) custom taillights , say the Lee sets or make your own.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

“I’ve never changed my mind before....does it hurt?”.......... - Evil Roy Slade - :D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    belair, kiwijeff, Texas57 and 5 others like this.
  14. Now you’re talkin’- there are many many custom shoeboxes already. And a lot of them are lowered to the point of undriveability.

Hot rods are more fun anyway.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm liking it like it is. Most customs are overrated and ugly, very few hit the mark. Besides, a man known as HOT ROD PRIMER has it in his name, not to mention his blood!

16. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Nice Hot Rod----- Looks Great!:D:D:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Rocky, your old '49 coupe was one of the cars here that helped me seal the deal to buy the '50.

When I bought the wheels and took them to my tire guy I got a little to aggressive with the tires on the rear and realized when I put them on the car the way it sat with lowering blocks the tires would rub the finder well, so out came the lowering blocks.

I had originally planed on replacing the trim but the more I look at it the more I like the look.

I have another gas sending unit ordered to replace the wrong one I installed in the tank so I'm hoping to get the car on the road very soon, I still have a lot of misalliances things to do but driving the car around the block and washings the 4 plus years of grime off will improve the looks. HRP

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    dana barlow likes this.
  18. I've always said "Car's have personalities". You can't take that away from them. I don't know what creates that. Could be Color, Stance, Sound, Upholstery, I just don't know but do know they have them. In the past I've built 3 other 49-50 Fords. They were all Hot Rods from the get go. This 51 came to me totally apart including Body off Frame. It's a Mild Custom and told me so as soon as I started putting it back together. How can that be? I even knew it's prior history and it wasn't Kustom. You gotta work with what they are I guess. I like the Americans on yours and had a set on mine while building it. When the Hubcaps went on it the picture was almost complete. All that's left now is to add the side trim I have had waiting on the side line. She tells me that every time I wash her up. It's like a Woman getting all dressed up and not adding her Lip Stick. Totally Weird, I know.
    The Wizzard

kiwijeff and jim snow like this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That looks great HRP!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I think you have owned too many 32's "if there is such a thing" was looking forward to seeing this one as a custom..

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Sacrilege! :eek: a man can never own too many Deuces.

For many years it's has been Model A's '40 Fords and Deuces, I'm just trying something different and as much as I had planned on building a custom I'm afraid I am just too much a hot rod guy. HRP

Clay Belt, dana barlow and Blue One like this.
  22. Hmmm,, I think we can have One disguised as the Other. Hubcaps and all.
    Smokin 51.JPG
    The Wizzard

belair, kiwijeff, Chavezk21 and 2 others like this.
  23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O Gasser :confused: Bite your tongue and refrain from posting such nonsense in the future. :p :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. I saw a 'Hot Rod' from the first pic you posted... LOL. Some hot rod flames is all it needs!

kiwijeff and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. Gassers are cool but I just wouldn't even consider doing that to a '5o Ford Coupe.
    Now if I happened up on a '54 Ford coupe that could be a entirely another story.:D HRP

26. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Got 4words for you, flames and side pipes

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. I've owned 2 trucks with flames and I'm over them.

And the car had a new exhaust system installed a few years ago so for now its fine. HRP

28. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

And I bet Beano approves!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

No to the gassa stuff its been done to death

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Know what you mean, Danny...I was gifted a '54 Ford Coupe by #1 son...Bless him!
    It will be a tall (not TOO tall, just a couple of inches over stock...406, real floor shift, Wimbledon white, like a 'stocker'... 5 spoke Americans, big & littles))
    Your '50 is just right, BUT: Just drop the nose ONE MORE INCH. So we can see the Rake. Please. You can see the road better, too.