Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sending unit problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 6, 2018.

1. I have replaced the gas tank in my '50 Ford coupe with a new one from shoebox central, I also replaced the sending unit and it still reads full with only 3 gallons of gas.

The unit has been removed and check to see if the arm is set currently, reinstalled and still reads full.

What the heck am I doing wrong? HRP

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Have you spoken to the folks at shoebox central?
    KK

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm thinking ground wire.

4. RMONTY

RMONTY

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP, fi you turn on the key and remove the signal lead on the sender the gauge should read full, ground it and it should read empty. This is the first step toward diagnosing that problem.

6. upspirate

upspirate

Is the sender the correct one for the gauge?

HOTRODPRIMER, weeniewawa and Dave Mc like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

that works on Chevys, but Fords work the opposite way.

An Ohm meter, and knowing how to use it, will be very helpful in figuring out what's wrong. Do you have one? we can give you step by step instructions.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That explains why my ford gets such great gas mileage.

Rich S., dan31, HOTRODPRIMER and 4 others like this.
  9. oj

oj

Hate sending units and the whole tank/gauge circuit. having said that, Ford uses a gizmo attached to the gauge and it limits the voltage/current at the sending unit. What i do is disconnect the sending wire at the tank, then I connect a potentiometer in place of the sending unit then go thru the range - Ford used a lot of 76 (Full) to 6 (Empty) ohm circuits, use the potentiometer to go from 76 down to 6 and see if the gauge reads correct; if it does then read the sending unit - I suspect it will be a different scale. If it isn't and it reads proper range (with a volt/ohm/meter then you'll need to replace that gizmo I spoke of, there is an adjustable 'trim pot' available on Amazon that I use where you can set your 'Full' and 'Empty'. I hope it is just a mismatch between sending unit and gauge, thats the easy fix but if it isn't shoot me a PM and I'll link you to that trim pot.
    Did I mention I hate gas gauges? hatefilled things.

HOTRODPRIMER and upspirate like this.
  10. Has the car been converted to 12 volts? Is the sending unit for 6 or 12 volts? I'm assuming that the gauge and sending unit are voltage sensitive, aren't they?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. To me, sounds like the lead from Dash gauge to the tank is grounded out before it gets to the Sender. Easy check, remove the wire from sender and turn on the Key. If it still goes to full disconnect it at the dash gauge turn the key on again. If it don't read anything then you know what's next.
    The Wizzard

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

the sender is not voltage sensitive, but the gauge probably is.

deucemac and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. F&J

F&J

I have seen two types of repro senders for a 50 Ford car. One was pure cheezy/crappy looking and actually fell apart before it went in all the way. The next one the guy bought, looked like a very well made part and worked fine....(it was a stock 6v car though)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. I came to the conclusion that you are correct, the sending unit I used was from Summit and I believe it was 0-90 Ohm and I need a 73- 10 Ohm. HRP

ct1932ford, upspirate and pprather like this.
  15. Dennis D

Dennis D

Can ya just paint the E and F on the glass different? :D D

16. upspirate

upspirate

:D:D:D:D:p:)

HOTRODPRIMER and nochop like this.
  17. Slopok

Slopok

E stands for enough!;)

18. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Electrical stuff mystifies me...…………….

19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Buy something done next time.:rolleyes:
    Look at the post count you would save !
    Geesh…..

Bwhaaaa :p

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Instant gratification, what would be the fun in that? if everything was easy we would never learn anything. HRP

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    earleg, 41rodderz, nochop and 2 others like this.
  21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The stock King Sealy 6V Ford dash fuel gauge will work only with the stock King Sealy Ford 6V sending unit as they operate on a heated bi-metallic principle, not the Ohms principle. If you change one or the other to 12V you need to get a matching corresponding unit as they both operate on Ohms principle. I have found that the easiest way to solve this problem is to use the stock OEM Ford fuel gauge and adapt the OEM Ford sending unit to the tank screw holes.
    To do this, both the fuel gauge and the sending unit must remain 6V. This has been discussed at length on Fordbarn. Here's a good start.
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247544&highlight=fuel+tank+sending+unit

oj and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

I did that to the Edsel, I put a chevy tank in it because it was cheap and it fit. The sender works opposite. It never was a problem.

fuel.jpg

LAROKE, HOTRODPRIMER, nochop and 4 others like this.
  23. Classic fix Jim! :D HRP

ct1932ford and dana barlow like this.
  24. Make sure you have good ground to the frame. Also you can test it out of the tank with a ohm meter. 10-140 is the range for empty to full

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I hate it when they read empty.:D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Dennis D

Dennis D

Great minds............D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Dynamo label maker, the best

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

29. EVERYTHING electrical operates on the 'Ohms Principle', which by the way is called Ohms Law. You'll have different electromechanical means of utilizing the voltage/current involved, but the same laws apply to all circuits.

30. Got the new sending unit in today and tested it before installation, it's wrong also :mad:

So I did what I should have done previously and called Classic Instruments and talked to their Tech advisor and he assured me I needed the universal sending unit,240 Olms full - 33 Olms empty.

Hopefully the third time is the charm. :rolleyes: HRP