Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Alternative turn signal switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neilswheels, Nov 6, 2018.

1. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Living in the UK, my 40 has to have turn signals. I’ve looked at the aftermarket stuff but don’t really like any of them, they all look bulky and ‘aftermarket’. I toyed with the idea of modifying my column shift lever to operate turn signals, as the car is now floor mounted manual shifter, but then I remembered my old car days when I played with VW’s. This is the turn signal switch of an old bug, Oval window I think, it fits the 40 column perfectly, and the design looks right at home in my 40’s interior. This one doesn’t have a high beam flasher, but, late Split busses do, and although it may need a bit of modifying to mount to the column, it could be another option. Just thought I’d share a small victory, and it may help someone looking for an alternative solution. I think this would work with the column shift if you wanted, as it has a really thin band that wraps around the column, and wouldn’t interfere with the shifter tube.
    Of course I now need to fill the column shift cut out in my dash and smooth out the column bell, but hey.. 9CBB1594-90E5-458B-8BF7-AEEE2B902F5C.jpeg

alanp561, brEad, czuch and 13 others like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Actually that is a great idea. Looks really good. Thanks for sharing.

czuch likes this.
  3. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Nice looking unit, you can get the new electronic devices that just have switches, or you can mount the device you have under the dash but they are a pain to use.

4. Terrible80

Terrible80

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a good idea and it looks pretty good. I didn't like any of the ones I could find. They looked like what they were, an add on turn signal. I mounted it up under the dash on the left side with just the handle end showing. Still works but most of the ugly is out of the way now!

20180725_211038[1].jpg 20180725_211020.jpg

neilswheels likes this.
  6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

In England, they drive on the opposite side of the road. Seating in an English car is reversed, so the steering wheel is on the right side of the car. I worked there briefly in the 1980's, drove a hire car (Hertz rental), all my USA driving reflexes were useless in traffic (fortunately no tales of destruction).

7. Professor Fate.

Professor Fate.

Uh, that steering wheel is clearly on the left hand side.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Looks good. Do they self cancel?

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Now that you have a floor shift consider what my roadster has.
    Two Hurst line lock switches tied in to a little black box with electronic self cancel feature.
    The traditional police will frown on it I'm sure, that's the beauty!

20160807_135448.jpg

10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

IMG_1273.JPG Thanks Neilswheels for the idea, I think I will hunt one up for my 40, mow I just need to find some Semaphofe for it, I always thought they were neat.

neilswheels and HunterYJ like this.
  11. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I missed that, I still suspect that an English driver expects that the turn signal stalk to be in this position.

loudbang, Hnstray and neilswheels like this.
  12. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Yep, most of my cars have the indicator stalk on the right.

loudbang likes this.
  13. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

That would be cool, but i'm going with flashing red tail lights, which is legal over here for this age car, and although they are not 'that' familiar to the UK drivers, no one knows what semaphores are anymore, so I think flashing reds are the better bet.

czuch and loudbang like this.
  14. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Nope.

loudbang likes this.
  15. But not all of them are like that; I owned a '56 RHD Anglia in the late '60s, it had the lever on the left.

neilswheels likes this.
  16. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

So does my Mums Toyota, drives me crazy!

17. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

18. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I used electronic self canceling motor cycle T/S on my 37 Buick but since it also has the three point seat belts and I'm tall reaching the left underside of the dash was a hassle. I relocated the switch. actually two momentary buttons, to where a seat adjuster would be if on the side of the seat. Now my left hand drops right down in place with no stretching and most never even know it has signals.

loudbang likes this.
  19. patterg2003

patterg2003

Thank you for sharing. That's an idea that I have saved & may borrow. It is clean and looks like it could be original. I had a 60 beetle when I was in college. It was simple as all get out and felt like a car out of the 40's. One thing it was good at was passing gas stations and finding parking spots when the 1970 the cars were huge in comparison. It had 36 hp and made a person pray going up a steep hill with a Kenworth tight on the rear bumper. I went to college on the prairies but I had to go back and forth in rugged country to get on the prairies. A tense drive to get to the flatlands then the car could keep up and it was perfect for zipping around.

czuch likes this.
  20. I'm using one of those with a 40 dash too.;)

I got mine from a 1937 Ford truck column which someone had installed decades ago. In other words, free. It has a broken pot metal stalk which had a half arsed repair. This caused me to look up parts and/or buying another one - at which point I had heart failure at the prices! It includes a green light knob.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  21. ...I used a standard aftermarket switch on my 48 F-1 like this,...works great.
    48 f4-2012 030.jpg

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  22. 34turnsignalswitch.jpg 34turnsignallever.jpg The VW unit looks really good. I didn't want any turn signal apparatus showing on my column so I used an old Rodders Digest trick. I used a turn signal switch from a junk 80 Chevy pickup and mounted it under my seat. The stalk sticks forward under the seat. My seats sits really low in my coupe so it's a natural feeling to reach it. Only down side is no cancelling but the indicator [above the windshield] is very bright.

23. If you want a turn signal flashing indicator us a 3 prong flasher the extra terminal is flasher indicator.

alanp561 likes this.
  24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

When the nephew and I rewired his/my 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe, I bought a NOS harness advertised for a 47 truck ($25.00!!!), and it came setup for turn signals (???). Using the KISS principal, we installed a 3 way switch in the dash hole left by the original column shifter (now on the floor). Just had to "remember" to move the switch back to the center position after a turn. I was't even aware of a self cancelling electronic switch at the time; that would have made things so much simpler/easier. Or, that VW switch would have been far better. It's interesting to see how others have approached adding turn signals.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. the-rodster

the-rodster

American Autowire make a simple toggle switch that works, I've used it in my last two builds.

Rich

26. 37gas

37gas

look at the top half of a 1965 or 1966 Corvair steering column. I have used them for the last 35 years and love them, they work great.

27. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this is what we use. under dash turn signal kit. thru summit racing or different companies on ebay. usually around 27.00 nice and neat turn signal toggle AWW-500148.jpg s-l1600.jpg

alanp561 likes this.
  28. ChoppaScott

ChoppaScott

Reviving an old post. Just wondering if anyone's used one of these Bosch turn signal switches. Curious to know if they're a temporary type switch or do you have to manually turn it back to centre each time you use it?

Looked online and can't find any info images.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app