Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edelbrock Throttle Linkage Issues

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Musclecarsornocars, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Hey guys! So I’ve recently decided to swap over from a 2 barrel Rochester 2CV to a 4bbl Edelbrock performer 500cfm carb in my 64 impala 283. I’m also using a 62’ 283 4bbl manifold that I picked up. One of the issues I’ve ran into was the my stock throttle linkage just wouldn’t fit/line up with the carb. I’ll include some pictures and you can see because the carb is wider than the 2CV, the linkage is skewed on and angle and just will not fit. It’s also not long enough it seems. If you guys know of any solutions that would be great! Also would like to keep it as original as possible, so minimal cutting, drilling etc is preferred! Thanks![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Take some of the bend out of the linkage rod.

3. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Maybe check to see if they make an adapter. I know when I use an Edelbrock on a Mopar they have an adapter arm so that the linkage will line up. Worst case, you might have to go aftermarket like Lokar or something to make it work.

4. Earlier today I was searching around to try and find something but I’ve only come across different cable adapters. I wouldn’t mind an aftermarket setup, as long as I don’t need to do too much hacking if you get what I mean. I’ll have to look into Lokar.

loudbang likes this.

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Unbolt the throttle arm [by the firewall] and "Z" bend it over to the LH side.
    It isn't that difficult in a Vice.

If you don't want to touch that, look for a shift rod off a Hurst Shifter

JeffB2 likes this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Straighten the rod out, run a die over it to get more threads, cut it off as needed. Simple, and over and done.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    loudbang, scotty t, JeffB2 and 2 others like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That would be a die not a tap.
    I have a few different factory straight ones, some are fine thread, some are extra fine.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

. First you need an engineering plan. The after its approval a work order will be requested. The work order will then be place in the correct order for dispatch to assign a technician to complete.
    Steps to complete throttle arm revision.
    1: Remove throttle arm from foot feed on firewall retaining all attaching parts
    2: Place arm in 6" vice centering the angle equidistant in the vice from each end of the angle.
    3: Turn handle on vice until tight removing bend in throttle arm.
    4: Repeat above instructions on second bend.
    5: Reinstall on vehicle connecting carburator throttle arm to foot feed using the original removed attachments.
    6: Adjust throttle rod length using the threaded adjuster.
    7: Insure full throttle is achieved but having assistant apply foot feed from inside the vehicle.
    8: Return the work order to the dispatcher.

9. Bending the rod might fix the throttle linkage, but the other problem is the kickdown linkage. I can get it to fit, but it’s way too short. When it’s installed, you can’t even open the throttle.

10. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

thank you jimmy six-

loudbang and Atwater Mike like this.
  11. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Perhaps you should be on a Musclecar Forum instead of here. Here we have learned how to adapt things mechanical to make them work. Working on hot rods almost nothing falls into place, most everything has to be modified. You have 2 of the simplest things to adapt and modify. Get to work you can do it!! Ralphie

DennieC likes this.
  12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you unscrew the carburetor end of the linkage to see just how far off you are? It looks to me like there are plenty of threads left on the throttle rod.
    On the transmission linkage:
    1. Stick a rag in that open distributor hole on the intake
    2. Remove the kickdown linkage from the car
    3. Cut it in half
    4. Weld in an inch of 1/4" rod to lengthen it
    5. Dress up the welds
    6. Reinstall it.

05snopro440 likes this.
  13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd heat the linkage up at the offset parts and straighten them out a little bit. Can probably do it on the car if your careful. It won't take much and you gain length as you make the offset smaller, plus you can align the connector at the carb while doing it. The kick down rod is simply too short. You can try heating the very top of the part sticking up behind the motor and rotate it forward a bit. It doesn't look like you need much. If that can't be done take a piece of 1/8" flat stock about 1" long. Drill 2 holes in it. Bolt that to the top of the arm through one hole and then put the pivot stud the linkage attaches to in the other hole. Use good lock washers! Should gain you enough to allow it to connect.

loudbang likes this.
  14. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I love sarcasm!!! Priceless!!!

But good advice none the less. LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  15. Dennis D

Dennis D

First thing I would do is stuff a rag in the dist. hole. D

16. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Even the muscle cars have to be fabricated. I have yet to pull a performance part out of a box and just "bolt it on". Without the aide of a vice, welder, and a grinder... Nothing fits! I swear to God!!! LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Hooking up throttle linkage is about as basic a modification there is. You really didn't think it would be a bolt up after the manifold and carburetor replacemant did you? Nothing is easy, bolt on parts that are supposed to fit rarely do. Hot rodding requires ingenuity, mechanical aptitude and some manual dexterity. There's lots of ways to resolve your problem. Good luck on figuring it out.

Gary

18. sdluck

sdluck

Get a piece of all thread from hardware store with the correct thread pitch. Where are you>

19. Think I’m going to try and bend the existing throttle linkage to fit like a few of the guys here said. As for the kickdown I think I’m either going to cut it and weld a piece in to make it longer or look for a longer rod. Thanks for all the ideas guys, it’s much appreciated

20. Might give that a go after work today. In the New York area

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Ooops, edited.

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With a vice he can make his look exactly the same as the ones above.

PS: I agree with putting a rag in the distributor hole. I guarentee the cotter pin with be in there just as soon as he removes it.

loudbang likes this.
  23. rfraze

rfraze

Can the rod be inserted from the other side of pedal arm to reposition, before adjustment bending?

24. Don’t worry guys, I did cover the dist. hole. I just set the intake in place and quickly mocked up the carb when I realized the linkage issues and took the pics

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

CAN the rod be re-positioned by entering the arm from the other side??? Will the cotter key work on the opposite side???:p:eek::oops::D

Some guys shouldn't be confronted by situations like "the Bends". They would be subjects for decompression.:confused:

Them 'Vices' ain't vises, BTW...:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  26. This site is sooo much "nicer" than it was years ago!

27. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

You could make one from 2 x heim joints and a piece of threaded rod .

Or if you're the "king of cheap" [like me] go to the local "U-Pull" and vulture a long Gas strut of a Van door.

These have nice chromed rods, with "clip-on" style ball joints.
    Cut it apart to get the rod out ,and shorten and rethread the other end to the desired length.
    Then screw on the other ball joint

28. Unfortunately I couldn’t really do much today. The car is outside and has been raining hard the whole day. Hopefully if the weather holds up tomorrow I’ll be able to get a better look at things.

29. We’re all car guys at the end of the day, right? :)

classiccarjack, scotty t and Budget36 like this.
  30. Budget36

Budget36

Some forget that they had someone show them how to do things. Of course those that responded about how simple and basic the mod is were probably them same ones who potty trained their parents. Just ask them.

scotty t likes this.