Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I Bought a 1957 Mercury Montclair Convertible, Now what??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55styleliner, Nov 1, 2018.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It’s already been said, but 15s daul exhaust, if it doesn’t have it already. Don’t lower it. Experiment with wheel covers. Drive it, enjoy it. One of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Bones

54vicky and 55styleliner like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That's a bad looking factory custom:cool:. Try the pipes and see what it looks like. Might look low enough with pipes. You can always remove if it doesn't float your boat.

55styleliner likes this.
  4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Great car! I could enjoy it just like it is.

The monotone white is maybe a tad boring though? Maybe red in the cove would set it off nicely. Opposite of this one.

Congrats on getting a 'deal'. It's beautiful.

i283465.jpg

5. The scalloped quarter panel area (Mercury called those concave projectiles) was ALWAYS a different color than the rest of the body.

It was part of Mercury"s shtick !

So that car has been repainted.

Mercury"s were always 2 colors which was labled as a "Solid Tone"

Two tones got the projectiles and roof painted the same color.

Flo tones were when the projectile and upper body (roof) were painted and the lower body was also colored , possibly the same OR different.

You could not get a one color 57 Mercury. I do like the car !

Oldmics DSCF0085[1].JPG DSCF0085[1].JPG

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  6. leon bee

leon bee

Man, what a beauty! I just don't understand this lower everything point of view. What's wrong with how she sits now?

Hnstray, loudbang, Texas57 and 2 others like this.
  7. 55styleliner

55styleliner

It has the gold anodized inserts in the Concave Projectiles that have faded so they do not stand out really. That’s one thing that needs to get done. I’ve thought about painting them red to match the interior. But may just go back gold. I’m surprised by the number of “leave it alone” comments for a hot rod and custom forum lol.

Outback, loudbang, Texas57 and 3 others like this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Like John Lennon said. "Let it be".

54vicky, i.rant and scrap metal 48 like this.
  9. Packrat

Packrat

That's a beautiful car, I'd love to have it!

54vicky likes this.
  10. Crocodile

Crocodile

I normally dislike wires, but a set of good wire wheels and a pair of lake pipes would put that over the top. One of the few cars that can pull it off.

11. I would definatly redo the gold inserts. Maybe even do some of the body trim in gold anodized.

That rich gold defines the "upper class" identity that Mercury was striving for.

As a few folks have mentioned it does appear to be an all white machine.

Oldmics (I too am in the 57 Merc club)

loudbang and 55styleliner like this.
  12. As Said before I LOVE that CAR the way it is!
    Drive for awhile & alot till you Get Tired of it!
    That Car is a Beauty!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

54vicky and 55styleliner like this.
  13. patterg2003

patterg2003

Leave it alone, love it and live in it. It is rare beauty that needs nothing. The neighbors across the street had a new 57 hardtop that seemed to be very upper class.

Hnstray, BigDogSS and 54vicky like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That one I'd leave alone and just drive outside of fresh tires and maybe a hubcap swap. That one has been a special car since the day it sat on the showroom floor and just doesn't need any other embellishment.
    I'm getting to where I am not a fan of side pipes on most cars. Most of them you see on 50's cars now look about as stuck on as those Autozone stick on vents and port holes do on those newer cars where a lot of people think it is "making it custom". I'm thinking that they would distract from the car more than they would add to it.

15. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

Tires, hubcaps, and a little TLC. That car is the perfect 50's ride.
    I love '57 Mercs.

54vicky likes this.
  16. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Who decided that a 368" Lincoln was an MEL engine?? I thought MEL was the 383"/430" engine family released in the Lincoln/Mercury family in 1958, & that the 1957 368" Lincoln/Mercury "Turnpike Cruiser" was the last passenger car use of the "Y-Block Lincoln"? Two different engine families!!

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Isn`t this a traditional Hot Rod and Custom site. Leave it alone, LOL

Outback and 54vicky like this.
  18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A set of Chrysler wire wheels, and nothing else. For some strange reason, I would almost install flame throwers on it, just for giggles. Need more pics.

Crocodile likes this.
  19. Beautiful car, and considering how many I have seen in the last 30 years, quite unique. I thought I was going to be the lonely voice saying that it should be left pretty much stock, but that gets my vote.
    I still remember reading about the Merc when it came out in Sept of 56. It was one of the cars that left a lifetime impression on me. Although your car doesn't have the big engine, I couldn't imagine a car with 430 ci at a time when most cars had asthmatic sixes.
    It is a great find, and I hope you enjoy the car.
    Bob

kbgreen and 54vicky like this.
  20. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Awesome.I vote to leave it alone.Reminds me of The Ed Sullivan Show and the Mercury commercials.

kidcampbell71, 54vicky and williebill like this.
  21. 392

Beautiful lines. Drive and enjoy.

kbgreen and 54vicky like this.
  22. carguy699

carguy699

my older brother had its twin back in the day but with red coves. had the 368 with twin glass packs and man,if you ran it up in low and backed off it would rattle the windows!!! fun times!! leave it the way it is--its too cool to major mod!!!!

54vicky likes this.
  23. 54vicky

54vicky

I am in the leave it and enjoy boat also.bring back the gold coves about it put up top in the rain;)

belair likes this.
  24. belair

belair

It's pretty busy already. Less is more. Have fun with it.

Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. sololobo

sololobo

so impressive as is, congrats on one of the most beautiful rides ever made.

26. Remove the labels, nose and deck and side. Two inch drop all around, wide whites, 14 or 15”, a smooth hub cap or wheel cover, like a 57 Plymouth cone. Study the grill and decide if something would look better in paint rather than chrome. Just make it simple and clean. The sculpted body will always give it a strong character.

Come on guys! This is a rod and kustom site, why suggest restoring it? A car can always be a great canvas for design improvements. In this case less glitter will make better.

Sum54ford likes this.
  27. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I drove it some this weekend, and it really is a pleasure to drive. Plenty of power, even though I am sure a tune up would provide more. Definitely no need to spend money to fix something that isn't broke! I'll post more pics when I get the 15" wide whites and Capri caps on it later this week.

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A different kind of car. But I think you`ll get the idea.
    Scan0759.jpg

29. NOOOOOOOO!!!, don't leave it alone. Hang a foxtail from the antenae and it'll be perfect, then you can leave it alone.

anothercarguy likes this.
  30. Lower that fucker, make it sound good and cruise it! Forget leaving it stock....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.