Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New hemi owner

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Omarsvette, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

i have a few questions about my new 331 hemi. It came out of a 54 newyorker. 4barrel and no trans housing. I'm going to put it in my 31 ford and I plan on using a 727. As I'm shopping around I notice that some say big block or small block 727. Is hemi considerd a big block? Which 727 should I look for? I understand I will an adapter.

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The small block 727 may be hard to find but the smaller case would be a plus.
    The kits are referring to what 727 transmission you are trying to adapt to your hemi.

bantam likes this.
  3. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Ok so your saying any 727 will fit with it proper adapter?

4. I’m not sure what’s available for adapters for an early Henie but small and big block transmissions are definitely different bolt patterns, contact 73RR here, I believe he may sell adapters or at least will steer you in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

classiccarjack likes this.

5. Budget36

Budget36

I sold a 727 from a LA 360 to a guy who was going to put it behind his hemi

6. gatz

gatz

I used a Hot Heads adapter. This was the price in Aug 2012

upload_2018-10-31_22-30-0.png

Bought for a '56 331 HEMI to "small block" 727. To me it appears that the lower half of the adapter need not be there in the sense that there's no strength gained by having the adapter a full circle; the bolt pattern ends just below crank centerline anyway. Some of it could be cut out making a large inverted "U" to allow easier access to the flex-plate-to-TC bolts, which is a slight PITA.
    BTW, IIRC, the bolt pattern for the TC and flex-plate only clocks or matches one way.

You might consider an A518; the overdrive version of the 727, if you plan on a lot of highway use or have a high ratio rear-end. A 727 can be converted to an A518 if necessary.
    If that's your choice, PM me and I'll forward an article by Jim O'Clair about it.

Some basic dimensions comparing the 904- A500 & 727-A518 xmsns
    727 vs A-518 Dimensions.JPG

This is the 727 transmission I used. An A518 would be the same view from this end.
    Note the "flatted side" on the passenger's side (at left in pic)
    and the 1/4-20 dust shield holes at the bottom

727 bellhsng view_1a.jpg
    I modified the lower casting between the tapped holes for wrench clearance.

In comparison, this is a pic of a "big block" 727 grabbed off the 'net and cleaned up a bit.

727 Big Block.jpg

I have drawings of both Small and Big block bolt/dowel patterns if you need them.
    gatz

7. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Congrats on being a new hemi owner! The small block 727 bolt pattern is mostly the same as the early Hemi, except for a few bolts that don't line up. So you use a sbm trans and an adapter.

classiccarjack and Omarsvette like this.
  8. 392

Small block 727 is what you need, and a alternative would be a 90-95 518 or known as a 46rh overdrive and can use the same adaptor plate as the 727

Omarsvette likes this.
  9. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Thanks guys. So small block 727 it is. Are they all created equal? Car to truck. Mind you, I'm not racing, I'm keep my coupe a stock cruiser. Do they have the same first gear?

I never heard of the 518. What cars came with those? I assume since its o/d it's got a low first?

10. 4tford

4tford

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also make sure the small block 727 you get has a slip-yoke output shaft. 1965 or later I believe had this. The earlier versions used a ball and trunion joint, were cable shifted because of the push-button shifter, and also had the parking brake built onto the back of the transmission.

12. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

You can also use the 904 Torqueflite, they can be built cheaply to hold 400 hp. A neat trick is
    to use low gear planetary from a jeep CJ, 2.72 ratio compared to 2.40, makes a difference. The 904
    takes up less room if that is an issue. They were used behind engines up to 360 from the factory.

stillrunners likes this.
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

X2 on 73RR adapter

Hombre likes this.
  14. The A904 doesn't work with early Hemi's due to the higher starter location on the the transmission.
    The adapter from 73RR aka Quality engineered components is highly recommended.

Omarsvette likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a real nice adapter from Hot Heads for my 330 Desoto running an A518 transmission. they have adapters for everything hemi.

Hombre likes this.
  16. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Look for 1992 through 1995 Dodge Dakota's, Ram's, and Vans for a A518. They are the same bolt pattern as a small block 727. They have a small u shaped hole on the top for the speed sensor used on the Magnum V8's. That won't affect function, it's just a opening for the crankshaft sensor. They have a similar shaped oil pan as a 727, only much deeper(I used to make a adapter to lower the oil filters in 727's and mount A518 pans on them as a cheap Deep Sump set up. But now I think a kit is made). So look for that, so you don't grab a A500 by mistake(it's the 904 version), which has a fairly square oil pan with one diagnal corner.

The torque converters have Lock Up as a feature. There is a three pin connector at the driver side rear behind the shifter lever on top of the case above the oil pan. The center pin is 12V positive, the front pin is negative grounded to engage OD, the rear pin is negative grounded to engage lock up. NOTE:. A518's have a symmetrical bolt pattern on the Torque Converter, the 727's were asymmetrical. Make sure to get the correct 8 bolt hemi flex plate. Otherwise, you may be able to just drill that one hole to fit it...

The 1996-2002 will work, BUT you will need to use a computer as these are fully electronic.

PM me if you want to, I am a walking encyclopedia of useless Mopar information... I am always happy to help!

-Jack H.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

18. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

That thing isn't street friendly... Can you imagine cruising through a school zone revving away? LOL

I hot rodded my daily driver in my twenties. Everywhere I went, the engine revved... Big can and 4000 RPM stall.... It got old quick! Listened to a much older friend, re-cammed the engine, put a 340 converter in it, fell in love!

19. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Yea 38800 is kind of tall. I was talking more about the trans itself.

20. deucemac

deucemac

You can also by an adapter from Patrick at Wilcap. Hot Head adapters are mad by Wilcap. Patrick carries Hot Heads stuff and Hot Heads sells his adapters. Works out well to buy everything in one place depending where you live. Patrick told me this when I bought my adapter from him and mentioned that I needed to contact Hot Heads for a timing cover. Bought both from Wilcap.

classiccarjack likes this.
  21. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

That's good to know, thanks for the tip.

22. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

When you do your build, are you willing to take pics and post your progress? I am really interested on how this will look. The place covers are going to be wider than the firewall(bonus).... Very cool!

Hombre and CudaChick1968 like this.
  23. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Spell check is not my friend!!! VALVE COVERS NOT PLACE COVERS... If I type too fast the auto correct doesn't do me any favors. Sheesh...

24. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

yes i will post pics, and show progress. in a couple weeks i will be driving to bakersfield to pick up the chassis. im choosing between the stock valve covers or m/t covers. the cost doesnt concern me. i think ill keep the original 4 barrel intake but im going to consider others.

thanks guys for the answers it helps.

classiccarjack i will PM you some basic question about my hemi im too embarrased to ask on this forum haha. im a bbc or sbc guy so this is new.

CudaChick1968 and classiccarjack like this.
  25. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

It's all good... We all are about learning a thing or two...

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am learning that there are 3 different 518 transmissions of the non fully electronic genre. The lock up, with that U cut in the bell, a light duty with no U and no lock up but the same flat right side pan rail, and a HD that has a bulge on the front right corner of the pan.
    @classiccarjack , do I have that right?

27. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

28. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

The diesel or 5.9 L Cummins had a non lock up version without a notch in the top for the crank position sensor.

29. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Non lock up transmissions have a 2 pin connector, one for OD.

Lock up transmission has a 3 pin, one for lock up and one for OD

30. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Note: the other pin not mentioned above is for 12V power... FYI