Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good CHEATING stories?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Feb 15, 2007.

1. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

One tungsten weight and one magnesium weight would make a nice difference too. Tungsten would be over 11 times heavier, at the same size.

2. 5window

5window

Well, it's pretty much accepted that both Foyt and Darryl Waltrip had their qualifying times at the 1976 Daytona 500 disallowed because they were running nitrous. Foyt's never admitted to it, but Waltrip has. That info's all over the internet.No sure the all stories are total bullshit.
    From racing-forums.com:
    For NASCAR Winston Cup teams in the 1970s, though, the clear performance booster of choice was nitrous oxide, or NO2. Known as laughing gas and used for years as a medical sedative, nitrous oxide injected into an internal combustion engine generates a tremendous horsepower boost -- upwards of 100 horsepower over a short period. In the mid-1970s, many NASCAR Winston Cup teams hid nitrous oxide canisters in the bodies and frames of their cars. Though a tank might last long enough for only 30 to 40 seconds, used at the right time, it could mean the difference between winning and losing.

Nitrous oxide was especially popular during qualifying, when it could mean the difference between sitting on the pole and missing the race entirely. The biggest nitrous oxide scandal occurred in 1976, at the biggest race of the season, the Daytona 500. Pole-sitter A. J. Foyt and second-qualifier Darrell Waltrip both had their times disallowed after nitrous oxide was found in their respective cars. During the same race, Dave Marcis's qualifying time was also disallowed because he was caught with a movable air deflector in his car, a device that could reduce drag and make his car faster.

Foyt and NASCAR President Bill France Jr., who had succeeded his father as NASCAR's leader in 1972, nearly came to blows at Daytona back then, with the volatile Texan proclaiming he hadn't used nitrous oxide. Twenty-five years later, prior to the running of the 2001 Daytona 500, Foyt still maintained he didn't use the performance-enhancing substance. "He's not talking to anybody about it, but if he was, he'd tell you the same thing he did back then: He didn't do it," said team spokesman Michael Rompf.

The ever-effusive Waltrip, however, admitted his team had nitrous in the car. "If you don't cheat, you look like an idiot. If you do it and you don't get caught, you look like a hero. If you do it and get caught, you look like a dope. Put me in the category where I belong," he said at the time.

Prior to the 2000 running of the Brickyard 400, Waltrip spilled the whole story. "We went to Daytona and (crew chief) Mario Rossi took what we called the wedge bar and made that into a cylinder and packed it full of nitrous," he told reporters Robin Miller and Curt Cavin of the Indianapolis Star. But NASCAR officials became suspicious of Foyt and Waltrip when their practice times were a second per lap slower than their qualifying speeds.

"So here comes NASCAR. They took my car into the inspection room and had people crawl all over it. We were trying not to laugh, but it was hard because they were hanging on that bar with the nitrous," Waltrip said. "Finally, Bill France Sr. and Bill Gazaway came over and said if we didn't tell them where the nitrous was, they were going to go get the saw and cut every bar on the car out. Rossi got nervous they might cut into something and blow themselves up, so he told them where it was."

bigboy308 likes this.
  3. mountainman2

mountainman2

Hiding a camouflaged nitrous tank from a tech inspection doesn't impress me near as much as hiding a complete delivery system from them. Not that hard to find if you are looking for that specific violation. :rolleyes:

Gman0046 and dana barlow like this.
  4. oj

oj

Got to remember, there weren't rules against using nitrous back then, it was more a 'Gentlemens Agreement', winkwink, nodnod.

5. 5window

5window

Hard to go back 42 years and ask them. I guess we'll never really know what's truth and what's embellished "a bit". Probably like a lot of these "well, my friend..." stories. Fun to read, but not take too seriously, I think.

Gman0046 likes this.
  6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I remember stories of Pro Stock racers who had their roll cages pressurized with N2O and delivered it to the engine up through the rear block plate and into the manifold through internal passages

7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

How about a lead filled smaller diameter tube fitted inside a rear crash bar for roundy round racing to add cross weight... tech tapped on outer pipe and still sounded hollow.... Pass....

8. This one was told to me by John Flach (1988 and 1989 Lebanon Valley Champion) about his father John Flach Sr 1962 Lebanon Valley Champ

They got caught changing a tank they had hidden in the car, it was an oxygen tank. They were feeding pure oxygen to the carburetors.
    It was a was a slick set-up with solenoids and some kind of sensor on the throttle. Amazing for the era!

John Sr just passed however his Grandsons Mark Flach and Keith Flach are carrying on the family legacy both are multi time Lebanon Valley Speedway winners

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    RidgeRunner likes this.
  9. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

There used to be a Mustang that ran at a dragstrip here in NC and the owner had staggered the front wheels to increase his roll out and he ran that car for years until he got caught.

10. ran 400's in a oval track class that had a 310 limit for two whole seasons..... didn't matter, I was so bad at it that I could have run a big block and it wouldn't have made any difference.

11. earlymopar

earlymopar

My brother's A990 65' Plymouth was found after purchase in 1966 to have the spare tire wells in the trunk filled with lead shotgun pellets!

fiveoh108 likes this.