Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Heat shrink and solder wire connectors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Oct 20, 2018.

1. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

The cheap no name crimpers like that have die cast dies and are softer. The expensive stuff are machined heat treated tool steel. Now the question is will you use it enough to ever wear out a cheep set. Probably not in your garage. One of the 3 position < $35 ones would be fine. HF has one for $15.

If you want to do Weather-Pack or Bosch connectors then you need specialty crimpers and pin removal tools. For a HAMB car you really only need to crimp Red, Blue and Yellow terminals.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Never been fond of that look. I prefer this method on what ever terminal type it is.
    [​IMG]

3. pitman

pitman

^^^Nice! Last build was an ECU fired Focus powered A.
    Myriad nest of wire runs.
    Used non-jacket crimp connectors, soldered, shrink wrapped.
    Wrap & Pinning the harness was a challenge.

4. 97AD764A-B1F4-4621-BFE3-0D0725024CD0.gif
    A great wire splice! You pretty much don’t need solder when doing it this way.
    Working at a few dealerships, the oem’s did not like solder connections because of mechanics error, wrong splice, not enough heat, too.much heat, shrink wrap wrong etc, etc.

They all required crimp connectors on all wire connections.

The big thing with crimp connectors is shitty connectors harbour freight, princess auto, dollar store etc all sell brittle, short junk that fails, either folds on itself wrong, crushes, or does not crimp enough and gets loose.

A good quality crimp connection, and done with a good tool will not pull out and fail

FBBB22A5-1213-432A-9285-33F57B260AE5.jpeg
    I have this tool from princess auto ( Canadian harbour freight) I think it was 50 bucks or so. I use it weekly and it’s great nice tight all around crimp and in different sizes and barrel design works very well for the money.

574617F7-21CF-4CBC-8626-F0DAE2C2A2B3.jpeg
    I also have this style from channel lock
    I like it, used to have the snap on version also ( but it grew legs and walked away:mad:)
    If you look at the tip it has a tip and a groove that does a very aggressive but neat crimp, I have never had one of these crimps fail either.
    Snap on or channel lock the tool is close to $100 bucks but it’s a multi tool with life time warranty and does all it needs to very well.

I like solder connections and on electronics or certain situations I prefer it.
    But a quality crimp connection done with a good tool is just as secure if not more secure.

Just my 0.02 cents on the topico_O

Bandit Billy, nochop and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. Sporty45

Sporty45

Sorry, but $73 for a set of crimpers is "not cheap" to me. Maybe if I were an electrical professional they would be, but I'm just a hobby builder, and these seem like they would be more than adequate for the amount of use I would give them.

6. $73 is about 1/4 the cost of quality, pro-level crimpers like these... so yes, these are 'cheap'. And because they're not as precisely built, you will have crimp failures.... So make sure you have spare crimps.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Steve, I think you forgot to load the pic of the good crimper. I’m curious, because I thought the ones like Van was showing were the ones you were referring to.

Bones

8. Sporty45

Sporty45

Like I said, hobby level. I would rather spring for some extra terminals than have to spend $300 on a set of PRO level crimpers that I'm only going to use a few times. If I was to buy nothing but pro quality tools, I would never have the money left to build my car. But hey, if ya gonna do this for a living, by all means buy the good stuff

9. Bones, I'll try to scare up a pic of the pro versions when I do my crimp tutorial. Not seen too often because of how expensive they are. The last one I saw in person (years ago) was almost $500, not a tool I could justify buying. These aren't even common with contractors; as they're for specialty connectors, most of the time you get a loaner for that job that you then return when the job is completed.

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Steve, when you get that tutorial finished please post a link to it on this thread so that we will be certain to see it.
    And a source for good quality crimp terminals rather than the stuff at Harbor Freight, etc. would also be appreciated.

11. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

12. Two things about the above crimper and all like it... One, if you're using insulated crimps you're not getting a 100% crimp. Two, these are designed to meet the minimum spec for UL when properly installed. This spec is IMO not adequate for automotive applications, and is why crimps have gotten a bad reputation.

If I were doing terminations in a control cabinet, I may use something like these. But not on my car.....

13. I've seen multiple people bring up the 'western union' splice... Great splice... if you're using solid wire, not stranded. Try this with stranded wire and it'll pull right apart before soldering. On solid wire, this will have almost the same mechanical strength as the uncut wire before soldering. The solder is basically there to 'seal' the joint because the tapes available when this was in common use wouldn't hold up and would allow corrosion to start.

The solder was the 1900s equivalent of shrink tube...

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  14. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I thought the Western Union splice was meant for knob and tube house wiring.

nochop likes this.
  15. It was used there, but the original use was splicing telegraph wire... which is why it's called 'western union'.

nochop likes this.
  16. leon bee

leon bee

I do a lot of wiring, cars, trucks, motorcycles. Napa here finally started stocking most of the connectors in the non-insulated variety. I'd already started pulling that plastic off, easy except for the butt splice pieces. An old pair of generic sort of Klein crimpers and I'm good. The best thing is when I started buying that shrink tube in 4 foot lengths. Cheap enough you can use all you want. Only time I use the blue red and yellow terminals now is for temporary.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  17. evintho

evintho

18. Here's the link.... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/crimping-tutorial.1127519/

19. How much do you want? I get the out of date stuff from work and it lasts forever. The parent part number is M23053/5. I use it quite a bit throughout my cars. There is a Raychem sleeve that is a 3:1 ratio and others with the adhesive inside.... a gooey mess if you ever have to take one apart to add wires, etc.

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Zen and the art of fine wiring. Sometimes there is nothing better than a good stool, good cigar, and me and my car soldering wire ends....cheap therapy

trollst, Johnny Gee and Boneyard51 like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like this thread! I do the same thing as above, when I run out of non insolated crimps I am forced to cut the plastic off with a blade. I also buy shrink wrap in long lengths at West Marine. Theirs has glue inside to make the connection water tight. If you have ever tried to remove that stuff you gain respect for it. I use it on Harley wiring too.
    Like I said, great thead @Blue One

nochop likes this.
  22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

The crimp thread is worth a look too. Keep it up guys this is why we are here

23. Learned it in Demolition training in the Army

24. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

26. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

E885FDD0-30FD-410D-A08F-CCAFF35BCD4E.gif Copied to my files

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

As has been said previously, that western union splice means nothing for stranded automotive wire.
    It doesn’t work.
    It was meant for solid wire.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not even. My daily-use crimpers at work were about $750.

I spent more than $73 on dinner last night, and I was alone.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  29. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Doh, your right....