Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I always like a hot rod that looks like it's going 100 mile an hour while it's standing still.

2. 1947knuck

1947knuck

3. 1947knuck

1947knuck

4. 1947knuck

1947knuck

5. 1947knuck

1947knuck

6. THIS is the "bubble top" I rode in. When I was a kid, my Dad who was a Chrysler Export-Import exec. brought it home and took us five kids for a ride at night. Pretty cool to see the moon and stars from inside the car through the roof....the car was built for Queen Elizabeth to use while touring Canada. Picture 26711.jpg

7. Mart

Mart

^^ I'll tell her next time I see her.

8. Mart

Mart

Here's a nicely proportioned racing car. It's a Sunbeam.
    [​IMG]

Not sure of the backstory on this one, wartime, obviously, though..
    [​IMG]

Another sporty little number ERA "Romulus"
    [​IMG]

Note the Jeep parked around the side.
    [​IMG]

Stylish coupe. Talbot Lago, apparently.
    [​IMG]

Gulp.
    [​IMG]

Some sort of roadside check - looks like they are being rather thorough..
    [​IMG]

All the chicks dig a guy covered in grease.
    [​IMG]

Quick, Mart get some American ones in.. Playboys!
    [​IMG]

The great train robbery.
    [​IMG]

Polish spoken here..
    [​IMG]

That'll do for now..

Mart.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  9. Mart

Mart

Ok. I'll post these up - I cracked up when I read the story - hope it's not too off topic..
    An Austin Seven on the roof of Cambridge University's senate House in 1958.
    [​IMG]

Here's the (only relatively recently revealed) story behind it. (Copied from the Daily telegraph).

It is a mystery that has long baffled undergraduates and university historians alike - how did students get an Austin Seven car onto the roof of Cambridge University's Senate House in June 1958?

Fifty years on an explanation for one of the most ingenious student prank of all time has finally been provided.

The group of engineering students who carried out the stunt have reunited to reveal their identities and explain how they winched the Austin Seven to the top of the university's 70ft-high Senate House.

At an anniversary dinner this month, ringleader Peter Davey revealed he had dreamt up the plan while staying in rooms at Gonville and Caius College overlooking the Senate House roof.

He felt the roof 'cried out' to be made more interesting and recruited 11 others to help him adorn it with a car. The group chose the May Bumps week, when any passers-by were likely to be drunken rowers celebrating after their races.

The group towed a broken down Austin Seven through Cambridge to a parking space near Senate House, explaining its presence by sticking signs on it advertising a May ball.

Mr Davey, now 72, said a ground party moved the car into position while a lifting party on the Senate House roof hoisted it up using an A-shaped crane made from scaffolding poles and steel rope.

A third group passed a plank across the 8ft gap between the roof and a turret window at Caius - known as the Senate House Leap - and helped the lifting party ferry across three types of rope, hooks and pulleys.

Policemen who heard noises as the equipment passed above them questioned some of the ground party but were distracted by careless drivers nearby and soon left.

Three drunken rowers who spotted the car swinging about 40ft up were fobbed off with the explanation that it was a tethered balloon.

But it was the efforts of two student girls who showed the greatest ingenuity in trying to saved the pranksters from discovery. They had been deployed to hitch up their skirts a few inches to distract passers by.

However, the stunt almost went disastrously wrong when the team tried to swing the car through the apex of the A-frame, over the Senate House balustrade and on to the roof.

They had neglected to erect a rope check line running from the Caius side which would have steadied the vehicle. It crashed on to the roof from 5ft above it and, fearing they would be discovered, the lifting team hastily pushed it to the apex before dismantling their equipment and fleeing over the plank bridge.

The following day crowds of onlookers gathered in wonder to look at the car and watch as the authorities tried and failed to construct a crane to hoist it down. Police, firefighters and civil defence units fought for nearly a week to hoist the vehicle back down before giving up and taking it to pieces with blowtorches.

The then Dean of Caius, the late Rev Hugh Montefiore, had an idea of who was responsible and sent a congratulatory case of champagne to their staircase, while never revealing his suspicions in public.

Many of the group responsible went on to enjoy distinguished careers. Mr Davey, from Mousehole, Cornwall, was awarded a CBE and an honorary doctorate after setting up automation and robotics companies while another, Cyril Pritchett, was a lieutenant colonel in the Army.

Two of the team of 12 live abroad and could not make the reunion dinner at Caius. One, David Fowler, had died and was represented by his widow Denise.

The group said their only regret was that the car was not left in place for ever.

Caius officials said the 'renegades' had since become generous benefactors of the college.

Here are a couple more pics of the "authorities" trying to deal with it..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed that.

Mart.

10. noboD

noboD

Great story Mart. My Dad told me a similar adventure when he was just a kid, maybe 10-12. There were 5 boys stretched over 6 years and they were hellions. They lived on a farm and had a neighbor they didn't like so they hoisted his wagon to the top of the roof of his barn for Halloween. Not quite as good a story but they weren't engineering students.

loudbang likes this.
  11. old flopper

old flopper

Gray Ford, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  12. Looks like a Holman-Moody Ford, and I'm thinkin' #28 was Fred Lorenzen at that time.

loudbang likes this.
  13. JD Miller

JD Miller

That aint nuttin.. In the 50s students at Cal Tech put a model A inside someones dorm room. They disassembled it carried the parts in and reassembled it

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Believe that is Mickey Thompson's early Bonneville car.

lurker mick and old flopper like this.
  15. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I am thinking the same thing, only the other way around...

But why? That Hemi output was most likely quite a bit more than the flathead. I would like to know how the Engines benefited from one another.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not about the engines benefiting from one another, it's about the car benefiting from having more horsepower. If one engine is making 400 HP and the other one is making 200 HP, the horsepower combination is more than either engine is capable of producing independently. Since the crankshafts are connected, think of it as a V-16 with some cylinders making more horsepower than some other cylinders.

There is nothing new about this concept.
    t28.jpg

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

George
    Wasn't there a car called the "odd couple".
    I'm thinking small block Chevy/Chrysler hemi powered.

Oops, maybe the one above.

Danny Brown likes this.
  18. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I had heard that the theory behind the Freight Train was a Chevy for quickness off the line and the Hemi for power at the top end. I have no idea if that is correct or if it works in reality.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

MT had run the car previously with two flatheads. Because at that time flatheads made up around 85% of the entries at Bonneville. Then he got a Chrysler to run. But only one. So he ran it. Most of what happened in those days was because that was what was available. Not really because of some master plan.

20. 1947knuck

1947knuck

21. 1947knuck

1947knuck

22. 1947knuck

1947knuck

23. 1947knuck

1947knuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.