Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quick Change rear end ratios

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jordabennett, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Hey guys, sorry to start a new thread based on something that has been covered a million times on here, and will delete if needed. Ive looked through a few different threads but haven't found much.
    I just acquired a Halibrand 201 quick change for my '40 Ford rear end,
    Now this QC doesn't have a ring gear or rear gears aswell.
    I plan on running a mild hopup Flathead and a '39 Ford toploader.
    16'' wide fives and 7.50 rear tires
    From experience what would you guys recommend for gears to run that would be nice for hwy use but still have a bit of guts of the line?
    Thanks very much guys.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I am interested in this too... Mostly because I am curious not only about gear ratios and availability, but what these can endure? If I build a blown hemi, and put a four speed behind it, will one of these differentials take the abuse? Or will it break?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

A lot depends on your motor combo I had a fairly heavy 32 3w with 3.00:1 gear 7.50-16 3-5/16x4” 8ba with 400jr and it was fine and great on freeway

Your roadster is light I’d say at least a 3.54 ish gear, but you have a qc now so you get to change whatever you want most gear ratio charts for spur gears I believe are based on the common 3.78 or 4.11 ring gear

4. sdluck

sdluck

And 4.86. Go to any race car site and they will have gear chart.

5. sdluck

sdluck

Why do all my pictures have a red X

6. sdluck

sdluck

Speedway has gears and gear chart

7. The traditional ring and pinions are 4:11 and 4:86

Said Q.C chart I do not know who's part number they are.

They are usually listed as-

Set #1
    Set #2
    Set #3
    Ect..
    upload_2018-10-26_12-17-24.png

loudbang likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try to use a ring and pinion close to the final gear ratio you want to use. You can add a ring gear "rub support" to the side housing to help with a higher hp and torque engine. All the ones I had were already done. Good luck

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out the Winters QC Champion. It's a butt work looking at.

loudbang and classiccarjack like this.
  10. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I did that last night... Those look awesome for sure.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stuck one under my 34 behind a blow flathead. Overkill for my application but a hell of a rear end. My T-5 will scatter before the rear end. I did lose some fuel capacity notching my tank though.
    upload_2018-10-26_10-29-21.png

neverdun, loudbang and classiccarjack like this.
  12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Just to clarify:
    Most gear charts for 6 spline gears (V8 also known as 201) list for 3.78 & 4.11 R&P ratios.
    The 4.86 is most common in 3/4 Ton (or Champ) size rear. These are 10 spline.

Kinda funny trying to optimize your final ratio without it being in a drivable car. That’s the beauty of a the QC.
    The thing I would worry about is the old axles. Convert those to later style push ins and drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Speedwrench like this.
  13. I USED TO HAVE AN EARLY HALIBRAND WITH 4:11 RING & PINION. I HAD THREE CHANGE GEARS THAT WOULD GIVE 3.36, 3.48, 4.86 AND 5.08 FINAL.

loudbang likes this.
  14. deucemac

deucemac

I have a NOS 201 quick change that was sold over the counter by Ted himself. It came with 3.78 gears as standard. The 201 is more commonly known as the V8 quick change. You can choose to install 3.54, 3.78, 4.11, or 4.44 V8 gears . Each one would take a different gear set to achieve the same final ratio. I would recommend a 3.50 (or close to it for street driving) unless you are running real tall tires. Halibrand used to have change gear sets from the high 1.s all the way up to 7.00. And remember each of those ratios has a high speed and low ratio depending on how you install the gears. Drag race high numbers, Bonneville and the lakes, low numbers. There is also "block out "gears that have the same tooth count top and bottom. Those come in handy when you like the r&p ratio you choose. Then keep a few sets to play with when you want to do racing or high speed cruising. When it is all set up correctly you just might love the versatility of it!

loudbang and classiccarjack like this.
  15. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I love the look, 3.78 Ratio is what I am after. What bolt pattern do you have on that? Can it be had in 4.5" on 5 wheel lug pattern? What is the diameter on your brake drum? Please give me details if you are willing. I also really like the convenience of this technology. To have this in my 1936 Dodge with a Hemi would be like heaven to me..

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My gears that came with the unit are helical cut (less noise they claim, I'd hate to hear the square ones) if I remember correctly my gear ratio was like 3:50 and if you reversed the gears (my set has a small gear and a large gear) it went to 4:19 or something. I cant remember exactly but you get the idea. I stuck them in in the higher ratio since I am running a 5 speed OD trans.

The bearings on mine are big Torino bearings, they accepted SoCal's Police special drum brakes. 11" drums, Loaded backing back plates also available for the big Torino bearing axle. BTW, those SoCal brakes with drums are like $369 loaded. That is a good enough deal I just got a second set for another project I am getting started on.

My bolt patern is 5 on 4.5 but they are drilled for 5 on 4 3/4 as well. Winter's make an axle vent that goes in place of one of the housing bolts, order it at the same time.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Say what!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I leave it to the axle to decide, whether it identifies as a ford or a Chevy. :cool:

High test 63 likes this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Four lug:confused:
    Vega or Pinto:eek:

Bandit Billy likes this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, that. OOOPS. Meant 5, I have been accused before of being a nut off. :rolleyes:

High test 63 and classiccarjack like this.
  21. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

You don't want to lose one of your nuts when changing gears!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Anyone that wants pricing on Winters stuff, start a 'Conversation'.

23. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

So far it seems to not be on the cheap... But then what do I care, I am a Hemi guy...

Bandit Billy likes this.
  24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

"Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

I was once talking to a customer and trying to show him how we could get the price down. He said, "It's my CAR, man!"

classiccarjack and Bandit Billy like this.
  25. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

So true, in most cases... I have "gotten lucky" a couple of times. But it's rare

26. speedshifter

speedshifter

V8 qc. The Winters chart gives overall gear ratios with the different spur gears. There are slight errors in the overall ratios on the chart with a few of the spur gear sets. Divide upper gear teeth by lower gear teeth multiply the answer times ring & pinion ratio. your answer will be the exact over all ratio. Greg

27. Keither

Keither

Jorda, I run a big flathead with a T-5 behind it and an old Halibrand. I have been running 3.78 ring and pinion and 3A gear set which gets me to roughly 2.90 in 5th gear. Runs great around town in 4th gear and pretty well on flat freeway but the engine just doesn't have the torque to pull hills in 5th. I plan to change spur gears to get my final ratio to around 3.10 in 5th. Since you haven't put your rearend together yet and are running a 3 speed (I would seriously consider the T-5 with close ratio Camaro gears) go for around 3.25 final gearing for in town and on the road.