Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cheap ass 34 pick up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, May 31, 2015.

1. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Model T column with gas lever ;) or Hemi? ...tough choice ...plus that leaves you with an engine you have to build another car for lol

nunattax likes this.
  2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Here is the issue. I can't get the throttle, and brake pedal far enough away from me to make it driveable. The width of the six bellhousing with starter nose makes it impossible.
    I am thinking of building an adaptor plate to mount something much smaller like an ax15 trans or something with a passenger mounted starter. I don't like the idea of a modern trans. And I will burn the truck before I put in an auto like most guys do.
    IMG_1869.JPG

tb33anda3rd and slo-dat like this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I see the dilemma. The whole point is to be able to enjoy driving it. Solving these kinds of issues is what we take pride in even if most people who see the car will ever know what it took.
    If you replace the bell housing would a stamped steel one like a Lakewood be a good starting place. It would be easy to modify cut-weld etc. How much of the problem is the transmission itself? I agree with the modern and auto trans stand. My roadster build will use a Borg Warner T-86 3 speed over drive with a T-90 floor shift top plate. From a "54 Stude. T-86s are not as strong as some but served well behind Studebaker and Ford V-8s. There is also the much stronger T-85 but it is a side loader and not as floor shift friendly. I'm a big inline fan but if it a butt-load more work to use a less powerful engine what is the gain? Being different just to be different usually doesn't have good results.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Well after a busy summer of beaches, bikinis, boobies and booze I am finally back at working on my truck.
    Fixed my very old louvered hood. It had been welded to the hinge sometime in the past and the hinge was broken. I separated it from the hinge and had some 16g angles bent up and I welded them on the inside. This straightened out the center of the hood and gave me something to attach the new hinge too.
    The other side is done, I just ran out of primer. Tomorrow the truck truck starts to come apart to finish the frame and sandblast the cab! IMG_2707.JPG

5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

6. Good job. Nice to get back at it?

7. Mmmmm, the 4 "Bs"

Tim and micamountain like this.
  8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

This part is a real pain trying to preserve foot room for the pedalm here's my early stage effort 20181007_172729.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

My current thought is if I can get the starter to the passenger side and drop the engine down a small amount I should have enough room.

Tim, falconsprint63 and Stogy like this.
  10. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

After working on the second section I'm considering scrapping the round tunwl and going to a boxier approach like you have. It's pretty tight on the pedal as is 20181021_234456.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Why not move the steering column up? would that work? replace with a different column, and move it up?

nunattax likes this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

It's not the column, it's the width of the foot well. It is very narrow.

falconsprint63 likes this.
  13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_2725.JPG So in feed my current hemispherical perversions (no not boobies this time) I picked up a sweet deal on an a833 and hurst super shifter this week. The trans and shifter kinda blows my legit late 50's vibe but for overdrive and brute strength I can live with that. Ya can't see the trans anyway. The price tag of $180 for trans and shifter makes it easier to swallow as well.

14. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

Now that is a sweet deal!

15. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

OD is a must if it's a driver, in my opinion. Can't tell you how nice it is to have a Columbia in the '35 on the highway.

nunattax likes this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

O.D.is the way to go .don't cut off your nose to spite your face

17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_2744.JPG
    Linkage is all done. Hardware store shafting and link ends from a rowing machine at the dump. Just my style.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks Awesome...:rolleyes:

19. CURSED GEARS

CURSED GEARS

Looks beefy and serious. Ought to do well.

20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_2795.JPG IMG_2796.JPG More fitting and screwing around. Swapped out a couple of bad caps and hand fitted replacements. And 426 hemi studs. Bores are round within .0005 but still need honed. Rear cap is big in one direction by .001.
    And the 354 oil pump fits with a little grinding.

21. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_2813.JPG IMG_2814.JPG Well the six is out and the hemi mock up block is in place. Hard to believe this fits better. It's twice the size. It has to move up about an inch. And the exhaust is still going to be tight to the steering box.

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...just like that...Cool...its the shuffling of the issues but the new hand may be better does it help the pedal deal?

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Yes it fixes the pedal problem. The floor becomes almost flat.

I am going to order a front cover to accept a Chevy water pump. It should allow me to push the engine forward an inch and still run a solid mechanical fan.

Nailhead A-V8, Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  24. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

I think that you will like the hemi just a little bit better than the six! :)

Atwater Mike likes this.
  25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I hope you make headers just as cool as the six and what about air cleaner/ers?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The hemi raises the hot rod cool factor by 1000%! :D

BradinNC and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Hmm not sure about headers yet. Might run manifolds and single pipe exhaust with just a baffle. Drivers side head is super close to the steering box.

Air cleaners and six headers and going to get bolted to the flatty six and painted up nice as shop art for now. Going to keep an eye out for a 20's dodge roadster body.

Yes the hemi is pretty cool. Especially at the dollar I have invested.

But the price of nice Chrome desoto plug wire covers is staggering. And I don't want finned aluminum.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'm big on inline engines and think the Flathead six is way cool but it was causing problems that you solved with a bigger, better fitting, and very cool engine. That's what it's all about. You know ...You put the Hemi in...You pull the Flatty out .....You get the pedals workin' and you drive it all about.....:)

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_2817.JPG IMG_2818.JPG Was concerned I didn't have enough iron in my diet. So I thought I would try and see if I can use a Chevy short pump with a heavily modified desoto timing cover. Black booggers tells me I am likely up to my daily recommended intake.

Stay tuned...

30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You damn hot rodders, you just can not leave anything alone. :rolleyes:

greaser likes this.