Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My first hot rod build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by M.Niko, Oct 19, 2018.

1. M.Niko

M.Niko

Hello All, I'm starting my first Hot Rod Build, I'm getting in over my head here but that's part of the fun. So lets get down to business. I have until Next Summer (Summer of 2019) to get this built and running. I am going to be using a 1926-1927 Ford Model T Touring Chassis. I've Attached photos of what I want the car to look like. (Except the Paint) I'm having a hard time finding just the frame and have found a place called Model T Haven that has 2 of them.
    https://vintagecarsandparts.com/cars-pre/1926-model-t-touring
    https://vintagecarsandparts.com/cars-pre/1926-model-t-touring-2
    I'm Almost certain these are the same model car.
    I have a couple of things to think about first,
    1.Frame
    2.Engine (200HP?)
    3. Transmission
    4.Starting car normally with key and not the crank.
    Where do I start?

Attached Files:

• 1.1.PNG
      1.1.PNG
      File size:
      725.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1.2.PNG
      1.2.PNG
      File size:
      708 KB
      Views:
    • 1.3.PNG
      1.3.PNG
      File size:
      706.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1.4.PNG
      1.4.PNG
      File size:
      551 KB
      Views:
    • 1.5.PNG
      1.5.PNG
      File size:
      861.7 KB
      Views:
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. F&J

F&J

Stock T frames were best used as closeline poles back in the day. No lie!

The car you show seems to be on a 28-31 Model A chassis, due to the frame horns out front. You might want to look around for one of those?

The frame can be built from Rectangular tubing cheaper than shipping & buying a stock wimpy T frame.

You are setting a tight time frame. It takes a long time to build a car, and you are new to it, so it will take longer than some guys here.

one thought to keep you dreaming/planning... at age 66, I now drive a 32 hotrod as a daily...never had this many good times in my life...you will meet and greet so many nice people...it IS worth the long haul of the build

.Welcome to the hamb

3. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I'd suggest that you fill out your profile and then write an introduction. Knowing your age, location and experience level will help a great deal.
    Pete

alanp561 likes this.
  4. I honestly believe the car you have showed does have a Model A frame, it does take time to build a car especially if this is your first try at building a hot rod.

With that said, ask lots of questions, there are many guys here with experience and are willing to offer help and suggestions. HRP

5. M.Niko

M.Niko

What are these frame horns? You live in CT, can you build the frame? I’d pay you forgot service. So I am looking for what kind of frame and body?

Thanks for the advice!

6. M.Niko

M.Niko

Where do I start?

7. F&J

F&J

The hotrod you posted pictures of above... That is a 1926 or 1927 Ford Model T touring car. In the old days of rodding that open body touring was called a "Tub".

Then it sits on a 28-31 Ford Model A frame, with the 28-29 Model A radiator shell.

The engine is a small block Chevy V8 (SBC)

The front axle is a Ford type dropped I beam axle.

^^^ is that the exact body you want, or any brand of car that has a open touring car body like that???
    You need to know what type of car you want. What make? What body style?.. the open touring for sure??

If you stick with that common Ford type front axle and frame style, you can find many places selling all the parts as new reproductions. If you had the $$, you can even get a new hotrod Model A frame ready to bolt all the suspension parts on yourself.

8. M.Niko

M.Niko

That is the exact body i want, I want it to look just like in the photo except a different paint color.

Can you lead me in the right direction as far as a link for the frame?
    https://www.ebay.com/i/190268578906?chn=ps

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  9. Been watching Riverdale?

NWRustyJunk likes this.
  10. M.Niko

M.Niko

I Have, I've been a fan on Archie since a child and Riverdale in my opinion is a modern version twisted with the classic even though it's loosely based.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy this book and read it. (click on the link below) And then read it again.
    Also, do searches here on the H.A.M.B. for build threads of cars similar to what you're interested in. Also, search for threads to do with particular areas of the car to learn more. There's actually a lot to learn before you can intelligently decide on the various components and particular treatments that would be suitable for your car. Learn the differences between '30s, '40s, '50s and 60s style builds. Whether you build your own car or have help, it's good to know your options so you end up with exactly what you envisioned...and if possible, era-correct...at least to a certain degree. Coming to the H.A.M.B. was a good first step. Welcome. Have fun. Good luck. :)
    https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ61T0u8pba5wADFFXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBybGY3bmpvBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1540041845/RO=10/RU=https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Book-How-to-Build-a-Traditional-Ford-Hot-Rod,2779.html/RK=2/RS=BizxpHQU7GJPx7RFwbVFGtwRhxM-

X38 likes this.
  12. deucemac

deucemac

Do not use a zillion year old flimsy T frame! The frame is your foundation. Poor foundation and eternal troubles await. You would be light years ahead to purchase a quality reproduction Model A frame such as TCI makes will prevent headaches and be one less thing of many to tackle in reaching your goal. Even sn original MODEL a frame is 87 yesrs old and is fatigued. Figure how much it will cost to build the car then double it. Keep in mind there will be unforseen road blocks along the way even with your best efforts. Build the car in your mind several times before jumping in. As you decide on something, play devil's advocate and check for flaws in your design. Trust me there will be some and avoiding them to begin with makes life easier! Good pre planning will pay off later during construction and after you are on the road. Find someone local that has experience and is willing to offer advice and use it. Vern Tardel has several great books to help you. Make it stop and steer properly THEN work on go, body, and appearance. I have no idea where you live, but if it is anywhere in SoCal, I have a complete '40 front end less spring and steering gear that would work well on your project. Don't try to rush, a well built car will provide thousands of enjoyably driving. Good luck!

13. M.Niko

M.Niko

Know anywhere to find a tub style body? I've looked on the forums and apparently this guy "Flop" makes them?

14. Have you got the book yet?

15. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

16. Guy has a tub for sale on this site. Look at that and figure how much you'll spend between now and your deadline. When you start paying everyone to do, make, or paint things for you, it will add up quick. Buy the "most" car you can and then make it your own. Or start from scratch, but don't save the receipts. My coupster is probably under $10k, but I did a lot of scrounging, did everything but machine work, got a lot of flea market stuff that I rebuilt and spent 4 years doing it. Best of luck.

17. M.Niko

M.Niko

18. As others have stated the FRAME is the foundation to your build.

Use a Model A frame and go from there and get a NEW one if you are going V8.

Lots of hard work and READING is in your future.

Unlike those reality TV shows where they build a car in 3 weeks to a month,

The actual REALITY is it takes a LOT longer than that......

19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Get on the web and visit sites related to hot rods. Pete and Jake's etc etc. Look through the vendors on this site, then go to their web sites. While online go to Speedway site and order their catalog, it's free. You can get everything you want/ need from them. Even a frame in different configurations. As said before look at build threads on here and check in on the message board here 3 x a day and 4 on Sunday.

20. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Why do you not want to buy the book?

alanp561 and X38 like this.
  21. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Check You Tube for instructional videos also, something like "How to build a hot rod"

22. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Where are you located? You noted that Frank ( F&J) is in CT is that close to you? If so I have an old Total Performance frame for an A I would let go cheap, also have a ford 8 inch rear set up for it. If interested PM me.

alanp561 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  23. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Also something to think about- how big are you? Both model T's and A's are quite small cars, be sure you will
    fit before going any further.

24. One thing I've learned is that if you start to get frustrated then step back for a minute and take a break. You will appreciate it in the long run. Sounds like you have some good 'drive' going in to this and you're smart enough to ask lots of questions!

Your are in route to making some incredible memories for years to come!

25. Starting the car with a key and not a crank? Color? Riverdale?

A. What experience do you have with working on old cars in general? Have you pulled and rebuilt an engine? Transmission? Suspension? Do you have a big garage to work in? Do you have a 220 volt welder? Can you tune a carburetor? Do you have tools? How much spare time do you have in the next year?

B. You are going to spend less on buying a car that’s done than building it yourself, especially if you are hiring people to do things for you.

For sale right now in Boston, screaming deal:[​IMG] https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/d/1926-ford-model-period-hot/6722197510.html
    Too much money? You will spend two or three times that building one if you’re just learning and you are on your own. You will also kill yourself and your passengers if you don’t know what you’re doing.

C. It’s the end of the season, there’s a huge recession coming, (trust me, I am in a canary in a coal mine type business, and I’m dying in the cage...) people need to pay their mortgages so there are some incredible deals fc9659ee93447ed50752aef25723d4b0.jpg[/IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

D. $10,000 too much for you? Maybe be obsessed with Breaking Bad, you’ll find an Aztek for a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    F&J and B Bay Barn like this.
  26. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

You sound VERY new to all this. Ho much money do you have to spend? Do you have welders, hand tools, torch and a shop to do the build? That $10,000 tub above would be a cheap entry to what you are after.
    SPark

F&J likes this.
  27. adam401

adam401

The one clunker posted that's in Townsend MA seems like a great deal. If you haven't ever built a car and that one is as good as it seems you could buy that and save at least 10 grand and a year of your life or more.

Frankie47, clunker and F&J like this.
  28. adam401

adam401

Man the more I look at that tub for sale the more it seems like an absolute no brainer. I'd ask 18 for that car if it was mine seriously

29. Right?!!

IMG_1774.JPG IMG_1775.JPG IMG_1776.JPG IMG_1777.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd, adam401 and F&J like this.
  30. M.Niko

M.Niko

Honestly I dont have the time.
    I am 6'4 (6 feet, 4 inches)
    I Like that first One. Some things need to be changed but modfied. Please DM me as i need advice.
    I Think im going to get it.
    I'm gonna get it.

I dont like that middle head light. I could probably remove that.
    I think the back is up more then the front. Right? That's what i'm looking for.