Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering shaft clearance in a model a

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dino 64, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Running a SBC in a Brookville 32 pinched for Model A chassis with cross steering. Spoke to Sanderson Headers and they told me their cc-1 unit would work with no steering shaft clearance issues. My column is located in the stock Model A position.
    Anyone else running this combo ? Any info would be much appreciated. Pics are great too if ya got them.
    Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Clearance is about all those type of headers (not just Sanderson) have going for them.
    Now if you want something better than rams horn exhaust manifolds they're fine, but they won't compliment any kind of engine with horsepower in mind.

Atwater Mike and Dino 64 like this.
  3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks, that’s exactly what I’m doing, the ram horn exhaust manifolds are being changed out for the Sanderson units.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. oldsman41

oldsman41

Don’t have pics but i did an a like that one few years back. You have room but not a hell of a lot. Depending on where or how you did your motor mounts is more likely going to give you fits.

Dino 64 likes this.
  5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Well at least there’s hope, thanks

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

20180212_095835.jpg 20161104_195529.jpg
    You've heard the saying "if there's a will there's a way".
    As @oldsman41 said it depends, and that applies to a myriad of possible component combinations and fabrication techniques.
    My body is not an A, but the rails are pinched 3/4" per side at the cowl like is commonly done on A's on deuce rails.
    These are full length headers in 1&3/4" dia. by S&S but no longer being made, if you are considering those "tight tuck" style headers then a set of the more commonly available full length headers in 1&5/8" dia. will work great but again it depends on things like steering box placement, motor mount design, type of column, etc.
    You said your steering column is in the model A position but left no other details. At what stage are you in regarding the things I mentioned?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    nunattax, Shadow Creek, jazz1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks@ Denney, I already mocked up the column when the the body was on but changed headers. The chassis is a bracketed one from Brookville so the engine mounts were dailed in by them for a SBC. The steering shaft comes out below the exhaust port closest to the firewall. I was going to use lake headers when mocked up and it was a clear shot to the steering box. I could move the engine up slightly with spacers, but that’s about it. Transmission crossmember done too, engine and transmission are in the chassis to work out the exhaust. Body not on.

8. catdad49

catdad49

You called Sanderson, can you contact Brookville? Just a thought. Post pics when you're done, might help the next guy! Good Building, Carp.

Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I spoke to Sanderson and was told they will clear the steering no problem, ha ha, and the check’s in the mail too ! I’ll call Brookville Monday, I expect “should fit” answer from them.
    @ddenny is right, I’ll make it work, I was hoping to avoid an intermediate support like the pic posted, but I will if necessary.
    Thanks

lothiandon1940, catdad49 and oj like this.
  10. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I have a barrel of headers in the shop and from a number of makers. I can tell ya none of the manufacturers will know your exact application because of the variables but all said to for ha ha ha. With the headers pictured by triple DDD you may have a issue wth brake pedals and or crossmember . It would depend on the frame maker on what center crossmember they use tube or 40 ford style. Headers that are tight fit to the block and with a rear dump on the drivers side seem to work with Vega style boxes or location.
    Another option is early corvette rams horns with a 2 inch collector opening

Dino 64 likes this.
  11. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Looks like I’m gonna have to be creative, but if it was easy, it wouldn’t be a challenge. Right?
    Thanks guys gonna order them up, put the body back on, mock up the steering again and go from there. No sense in building the exhaust without knowing where the steering shaft is.

12. jazz1

jazz1

Steering shafts were biggest issue i ran into but I had exhaust in place on my project truck. Clearance required for steering shaft is so minimal I would not bother trying to figure out what combo of steering linkage would fit in advance, cross that bridge when I come to it. JMHO

I had to use Sweet Joints for angle, stock joints of any make just not compatible.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Dino 64 likes this.
  13. X-cpe

X-cpe

More important than steering shaft clearance is 'U' joint clearance. They don't like the heat so much.

Dino 64 and jazz1 like this.
  14. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks @jazz1, I hear ya, but I want to weld any brackets etc, before painting the chassis

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Just don't paint yourself into a corner by getting the cart before the horse!
    Not sure if you plan on putting the body on again for these mods but I sure would recommend going through the extra effort.
    If you do need to use a rod end for the extra steering shaft support; it can be made as a "bolt-on instead of welding it on, that is how I made mine.

jazz1, Atwater Mike and Dino 64 like this.
  16. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I agree,
    I’m so compulsive I probably will put the body back on to be sure

17. oldsman41

oldsman41

Putting the body on imo is the best way to do it. I mocked up the steering column then just took pieces of round stock i had and started running the different routes. Really about all i remember had a crap house load of cars since then.

lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  18. bchctybob

bchctybob

There's no substitute for a good, complete mock up or pre-assembly. Time well spent, especially where headers and exhaust systems are concerned.

19. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Body’s going on tomorrow, should get the headers by Wednesday
    Thanks guys

20. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

That is so so true and easier to change engineering in the mock up . I see so many cars and projects that aren’t thought thru . One being steering while one of the Most important things and shafts are done last..
    In the mock up phase you can fudge the engine placement the height up or down even side to side . Plus steering box forward or backward or up and down or even use a different style. Even if you buy one of them frames that have all the brackets welded up for you and ready to go . You may have to change stuff to be correct ,safe and look good..
    I would have to say Mock-up is Engineering

Dino 64 likes this.
  21. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks, I agree completely. Just got the headers today and have the steering box, floor, steering column on place. Think I’m gonna need and intermediate shaft support. We’ll see, when everything is in place. The column is coming out of the stock Model A position, might need to moved. I’ll post pics, maybe it will help someone else in the same situation.

continentaljohn and Just Gary like this.
  22. dan31

dan31

Check out "Wizard steer clear". It can solve a lot of problems.

Dino 64 likes this.
  23. jazz1

jazz1

Hard to tell but my steering shaft support is a bolt on. It was extra effort but i felt it critical to be able to make some adjustment later on if required for wiggle room

Dino 64 likes this.
  24. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Still waiting on one of the universal joints, but I mocked up the column and it looks like the intermediate support will be necessary.

25. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Ok, finally got all my parts together, here’s what I came up with. I made a few dowel shafts lengths to experiment. No much choice cause there is so little room. I tried to average out the angles so none are to sharp. I made up a quick bracket for the intermediate support just for mock up and clamped it to the frame. The real one will be much heavier and stronger.
    It turns easily and with no binding so I think I’m good. Pics...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

jazz1, HerMink and Just Gary like this.
  26. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

That looks great.

Dino 64 likes this.
  27. oldsman41

oldsman41

I think you nailed it that is real close to what i have now.

Dino 64 likes this.
  28. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks guys, appreciate it

Just Gary likes this.
  29. patzfab

patzfab
    from Canada

We at Wicked Customs have done the same thing multiple times.
    You have it nailed

Dino 64 likes this.