Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Beware of Coker inner tubes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Oct 22, 2018.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

I've never had any problem. Been doing it for years on highway cars

2. noboD

noboD

I knew what you meant and I agree. This is a problem called GREED.

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

yup, new tubes are junk. and any brand you buy can not be stored folded up in the box for very long or they crack on the folds. i used to carry a new tube in the box for emergency's, but that no longer works.

4. Because they are building old technology tires with old tire molds but are being compared to massive companies who probably throw out as many defects as Coker sells. Everyone also seems to forget that there was a tire shaving machine in every tire shop when Bias plys were the norm for a reason but now magically they shouldn't be needed.

5. 5window

5window

Sorry, that won't fly. No bone to pick with Coker and they provide an important product for our hobby/industry. But Coker themselves state that they make new molds when originals are lacking. Clearly they must use modern day materials and, if you knew the product you were making had an increased risk of being deficient due to old molds or otherwise, why wouldn't you institute a plan to increase quality control?

6. A Boner

A Boner

Seems to me, a large part of their quality control is "the customer"......I could be wrong!

williebill and Kiwi 4d like this.
  7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"Clearly they must use modern day materials"

I think we've identified the problem!

ABONES likes this.
  8. 5window

5window

Cute and I get your humor/sarcasm. But, I don't think any tire produced back when our Traditional cars were New cars could match a modern tire for wear, safety, mileage or handling.

9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

My comment was aimed at inner tubes, but this thread had kind of devolved into tires by then.

10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My local tire guy says use talc and replace the tubes every 5 years as thats the life expectancy.

11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C106235B-0DA2-4AAE-B86C-D891592FE53E.jpeg F60F5844-B8A3-4463-BF52-5742811AAF98.jpeg Seeing as this thread has morphed into tires>>>>>>
    I dont learn , these Coker’s have been on our 32 Pickup since April ,but only driven to the Roundup and then parked doing various other repairs , which we are getting on top of now. With all the ozenator pouring out they look like we have been mud bogging . Kind of ridiculous . Our daily gets no love but at least has black tires.
    The Coker’s on our 32 coupe suffer the same but not as fast or as bad.

12. I have those, run tubeless. Yeah, they like to turn brown. Pisses me off.

13. ct1932ford and ClarkH like this.
  14. noboD

noboD

Pretty informative article.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use Kenda M/C tubes in my LSR roadster usually a 16" in a 15" rim. The tires are 28" diameter and never had a problem and I need metal stems at an angle.
    Miller tire supplied me tubes in the past until I recieved 2 that were new packaged but old and cracked on the folded seams. When I buy now the first thing I do is inflate them and store them that way.

16. Dude you need to source some longer lugs for those rims.

17. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[QUOTE="Dude you need to source some longer lugs for those rims.[/QUOTE]

Yup , I was waiting for someone to spot that . The nuts are partially undone ,but they are also too short.
    Problem solved , I am swapping out the original 32 banjo with juice brakes for a 35/36 rear with 3.54 gears and juice brakes today .

18. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

A couple of years ago, at Spring Carlisle, I got into a discussion with the Coker rep. l asked what pressure I should use in their tires when used on a Corvair.
    Their reply was "40+ lbs all around".
    I said the factory recommended 16 front and 28 rear and the car would be all over the road with 40+ lbs.
    He was dumbfounded and said I might be able to run them a little lower! I guess GM wasted their money on engineers researching the proper tire pressures!

On the subject of tubes:
    While serving uncle sam in Vietnam I acquired a bicycle that needed tubes and tires. I got tires and tubes made by Michelin in Vietnam. They worked for the time I was there. I shipped the bike home as a souvenir.
    After a short time the tubes would not hold air and the tires looked like they dry rotted.
    I think they used the same rubber we get now in asian tires and tubes!

zeph4057k likes this.
  19. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

corn starch works pretty good.....

20. A Boner

A Boner

I'm thinking all new tires are made with shitty materials.....that 6 year life span is a bunch of B.S.!

williebill likes this.