Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "THE WALL OF SHAME"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by duncan, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petersen43

petersen43
    from New Jersey

Not really on the scale of what's been posted here but I'll chip in...all from my new to me 55 Chev wagon
    #1 throttle linkage is a toilet lever rod
    #2 power steering box was mounted over the saw cut carcass of the original manual box still bolted to the frame
    #3 power windows via electric gearboxes mounted over each of the original window crank shafts, complete with peeling wood grain stickers
    #4 the key I got with the car vs the key I had cut to the lock cylinder code by a competent locksmith.

Attached Files:

2. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

LOL... It's amazing how much abuse our beloved cars receive from "others"...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

petersen43 likes this.
  3. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

loudbang likes this.
  4. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

5. [​IMG]
    To be realistic, that key would have worked in a number of TRI FIVES I have had in the past. Those ignition locks weren't the best design for security.

loudbang and XXL__ like this.
  6. XXL__

XXL__

Maybe 35 or so years ago I had a '68 Chevy C10 and a '70 Dodge Charger... both used the same key-- doors, ignition, and trunk on the car. I couldn't compare the two because I never had the real Charger key, but if it had just been a worn out ignition cylinder that would have made sense... the fact that it also worked on both doors and trunk hinted that these were just a really weak level of security.

loudbang likes this.
  7. 62rebel

62rebel

Admittedly, it took me a few seconds to see what you meant regarding the steering box.... but those power window contraptions were a big hit for JC Whitney

loudbang, brad2v and petersen43 like this.
  8. petersen43

petersen43
    from New Jersey

I agree the old locks weren't the pinnacle of security. Funny enough, the locksmith actually said the sidebar style ignition lock cylinder from my 55 was practically pick-proof.

loudbang likes this.
  9. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

10. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

11. GraeffSS

GraeffSS

Oil pick up on my father's Jeep, we found it while trying to find why it had low oil pressure.
    I supose whoever did this didn't have the elbow and just used the pipe, how it made the 90° turn you ask? Just twist the pipe, it won't starve the engine at all...
    (This is after we straightened it, but you can still see the bend)
    P_20180217_152431.jpeg
    just for reference this is what it should look like:
    images.jpeg

Sent from my ASUS_X00DDA using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  12. 62rebel

62rebel

Almost forgot this one: (no pics of it, sadly) but I had a '62 Falcon Fordor I used for a DD back in the early '90's, and on the way to work one day the left rear wheel popped off..... hub, brake drum, the works. It turned out that a PO had replaced a bad hub bearing sometime in the past and the "tech/mech" used an acetylene torch to burn the race off the axle shaft. They left a pit about 1/8" wide and deep and pressed the new bearing right over it. The stress cracked the axle shaft almost halfway through, there was old rust at least that deep in the crack. The stub end of the axle shaft was, fortunately, just long enough to grab with pliers and remove from the housing. Lucky, too, that it happened not only at low speed but in a congested area where several folks were available to push the Falcon to the side of the road.

classiccarjack and loudbang like this.
  13. FYI, if you need to pull a broken axle out that is deep in the tube. a piece of mechanics wire or wire coat hanger, with a loop twisted in the end, a little bigger than the broken axle, can be used to fish the axle piece out. slide it down the tube and over the axle, then when you pull back the loop will "grab/bind" the axle.

14. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Front bumper brackets
    IMG_0243.JPG IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0245.JPG

15. 62rebel

62rebel

Ahhh... the good old GM front clip. Whenever I see one I flinch. Not because they're a bad idea; far from it; just SO many examples of bad execution.

16. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

62rebel, loudbang and Dave Mc like this.
  17. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

vetteguy402 and Dave Mc like this.
  18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At least the throttle linkage isn't held together with rubber bands. Been there, seen that

petersen43 and classiccarjack like this.
  19. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

You know, shoe strings can come in handy too...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561 likes this.
  20. Here are a couple of the rear end install under the 36 sedan I have. Lots of rust from being in a dirt floored barn for 40 years.
    U-bolts too short after adding those lowering blocks? No problemo, just weld on some more.
    20181024_161727.jpg
    Pre Chassis Engineering shackles
    20181024_161701.jpg

mgtstumpy, classiccarjack and Dave Mc like this.
  21. A model A crossmember I removed a few years back.

Attached Files:

Dave Mc likes this.
  22. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some " repairs " I found on a 40 chassis. Third pic is a steering box bracket. Bolt bottoms out? Drag a bead on it 20181025_114329.jpeg 20181025_114317.jpeg 20181025_114309.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mgtstumpy and Dave Mc like this.
  23. NORSON

NORSON

Bought a '29 Chev roadster from a farm in Montana. This wheel was underneath it. What you are seeing is a five bolt ford wheel welded to a Chev six bolt hub. Another time I purchased an old utility trailer for the Chev axel that was under it. When I got it home I found it had Ford wheels and hubs on the Chev spindles. I didn't know you could do that.
    Norm
    P2270759.JPG P2270760.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  24. I’m speechless.

Walt
    Outsiders CC

25. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Apparently expanding foam and Bondo is how you fix rusty rockers, and all you really need to turn a 4 door to a 2 door is a few gallons of Bondo. I don't have any pics of how they ran a electric fuel pump and the radio off the coil, or how the blower motor was controlled with a household light switch. I could go on, but I think you get the point. 0611011159a.jpeg 0611011159.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mgtstumpy likes this.
  26. upspirate

upspirate

This thread never ceases to amaze me! I thought some of the stuff I found on cars I bought was bad, but it was mostly rats nest wiring and a popcorn welded cross-member that was just to mount shocks

27. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

28. gatz

gatz

[​IMG]

Not sure what this accomplishes. This is the wrong side of a door lock. 'Course, maybe that's the gag.

29. A little drive line vibration?
    [​IMG]

Muffler hanger

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.