Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RPM Nationals flathead and banger drags October 27th at Santa Margarita Ranch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Justin B, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Justin B

Justin B

Things went well last year so our buddies at the Ranch are letting us take it over for another race this year.

[​IMG]

Flathead and banger powered 1936 and older Fords and vintage race cars (early rails, sprinters, tanks etc) racer entries are due by sept 14th and we'll send out all approvals by the 21st, for the full rules visit
    https://www.rpmnationals.com/
    but I'll give a quick break down. Traditional style cars only, no modern parts, no radial tires, no automatic trans, etc. we shoot for a mid 50's or earlier aesthetic for all race entries, the track is a old airstrip (that's been repaved) 1/8 mile heads up drag racing, classes include - v8 street car, banger street car, v8 street car with power adder such as overhead conversion or blower or both, banger street car with power adder, and two full race classes for the rails/tanks/sprinters/modifieds/etc. one class for gas burning flathead v8 or banger and the other class for overhead or blown or fuel burning or all of the above v8 or banger.

Last year we had some great competition in all the classes, with the original bean bandits fuel burning rail taking the overall win, Paul Gommi in his blown flathead street car taking out the competition in his class, Derby Pettingil winning the v8 street car class, dave Fowles for the win in flathead banger street class and Joe Rodriguez taking the win in every race he ran even against some of the blown v8's in his overhead banger powered roadster that went on to win the overhead banger street class.
    This years competition is looking pretty heavy so far with Harvey Finch making the trek down from Canada again with his nitro burning flathead powered T modified to try and take out the bandits rail, while Max Herman put together an awesome twin cam Hal powered T roadster to beat up on his buddy Joe Rodriguez, plus a bunch of semi secret projects that are currently in the works to try and take out the competition in all the classes.
    There'll also be some real history running down the track with the bean bandits rail making another showing, Lars in his original barris bros built roadster, the original black widow record setting rear engine T roadster and the return of "The Thing" an original late 40's built flathead powered rail that'll make its first run down a dragstrip in decades.

Along with the racing we'll also have a little hot rod/ early ford swap meet area as well as a 1960 and older car show right down by the track.

Here's some shots from last years race

From " thirtytwo" on here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few more shots from TJ Roque

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some from Mark Gewertz for fuel curve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly some from our buddy Yasu from frontend magazine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More coverage from last years race

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=35893

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/postcards-from-the-rpm-nationals.1084084/

https://carpyscaferacers.com/santa-margarita-nationals/

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/tra...8s-four-bangers-duke-inaugural-rpm-nationals/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/batexclusives/sets/72157689709162084

http://nitrohotrods.com/hop-up-rpm-nationals/

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. I went last year. Going again, this year. Not as a competitor, but I'll be there in my Model A hot rod.

3. Looking forward to this years pix.Thanks.

4. Justin B

Justin B

Bringing this back up to the top, if anyone on here is interested in racing this Friday is the deadline to get your submissions sent in

5. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

There isn't much information on the web site. No info about gate times, starting times, swap meet set-up times, early entry times, etc.... $20 for early entry... what time is that? Is swap meet set up the day before? Overnight camping in swap space?? Where is the general parking lot? How about a layout map, are there restrooms? Etc etc etc.....

6. Justin B

Justin B

I believe all that info is on the site if you look, click the different icons under the menu at the top of the page.

Early/prepay entry gets you in an hour before the gate opens, so 8am instead of 9, swap vendors can set up after 3pm on Friday, camping is available to registered racers and swap vendors, all entry to the ranch is off of Yerba Buena Ave in the town of santa Margarita, once you enter the ranch property there'll be signs/people directing where to go for racers/vendors/car show/swappers/general parking, yes plenty of restrooms and hand wash stations.

Here's a few of this years race entries

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'll be out of state that weekend, attending a niece's wedding. Y'all take plenty of pictures and post them up here, OK?

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My kind of place... GREAT pix! (great subjects!)

9. GuyW

GuyW

I'm going to spectate

10. Justin B

Justin B

Few more of the racer entries
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lurker mick and Jalopy Joker like this.
  11. Getting close

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for all of the pics - look forward to more

13. Justin B

Justin B

Few more of the racer entries

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jalopy Joker and lurker mick like this.
  14. Justin B

Justin B

Few more of the race entries,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jalopy Joker, lurker mick and Jimmy B like this.
  15. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Man this is gonna be good... Can't wait!!!!!

16. Man I can't hardly wait for this!!!!!

17. Justin B

Justin B

A few more race entries

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  18. This is truly going to be epic! Any chance live streaming to FB?

29bowtie likes this.
  19. Justin B

Justin B

I don't have Facebook, or any idea how to live stream but I'll ask some buddies if they know how/can set it up

Ps, thanks again Jimmy for the killer shirt design

20. This is going to be bananas! I SO wish I was going to be there! Have fun everyone and be careful!

21. Hope everybody has a great weekend. I also want to wish my nephew (youngrodder1929) 33059694_10160357837790331_8008470134077259776_o.jpg good luck with his Nitro flatty powered T roadster.

22. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Can't wait to see some pics/video

23. Nobey

Nobey

Just got home, it was fantastic.......

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2

25. Seeing the videos (on Instagram ((sorry geezers)) of the Eddie Dye and Niekamp roadsters running against each other was a surreal experience.

29bowtie, Binger, barrnone50 and 2 others like this.
  26. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Post it here where “geezers” can enjoy it too please. I have IG but find it too hard to navigate, particularly when on my iPad its always in landscape rather than portrait so I have to tip m eyes vertical to view it.

Texas Webb likes this.
  27. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh you swine @cactus1 , you gave me the teaser and as i have no will power I just had to take a peek.
    Damn that looks like such a cool venue like back in time. Shame all the vids are so short but really awesome event by the looks.
    As I said you Swine @cactus1 , this looks like we must add it to our bucket list for sure.

cactus1 likes this.
  28. Yes @Kiwi 4d! Me thinks I will have to go next year for sure!