Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who Else Gets To Drive Your Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TFoch, Oct 20, 2018.

1. raidmagic

raidmagic

My fast cars I'm more particular about who drive them. My brother, dad, daughter. Wife could but never wants to. My slow ones Not sure I care. If you listen to me and pay attention I'll show you how to drive the 26 and let you putt around in it. I had a buddy's sister ask for it to be in her wedding. So I let him drive her and her parents from the hall to the service and back again.

[​IMG]

2. Deuces

Deuces

Nobody!...

Stogy and TFoch like this.
  3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My cars seem to be 'community' cars. I think all my friends and a lot of my family drove my '65 Caddy. The Shoebox has had a few different feet on the pedals. My T bucket...not many but still quite a few. One guy (prolly 80 yrs old) was checking it out in the parts store parking lot. I ask if he wants to go for a ride. He was in the car before I finished the sentence. I get out there lay rubber, grabbin' gears and he's grinning ear to ear. I pull into a parking lot, jump out and tell him it's his turn. He drove it just like I did. That made building and owning that car special.

4. 392

Nobody.

5. topher5150

topher5150

I let my wife drive my OT Lincoln Mark VIII a couple of times, and she was always nervous driving something with that much power. Compared to her aged Toyota Corolla it was like driving a super car. I doubt my 47 will have gobs of horsepower, but I'm sure the rattling and shaking will scare most away from driving it.

Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and TFoch like this.
  6. She took my hand in marriage so she drives.

clem, Stogy and TFoch like this.
  7. When I was growing up I remember a man saying, "there's three things I don't loan out; my wife, my toothbrush and my car".

Phil

8. My Dad and I are the only ones who drive The Roadster. While my wife is insured to drive it, she has never asked to.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Stogy, Deuces and TFoch like this.
  9. Król

Król

My wife and son have driven 56 Chevy. Wife can't drive stick shift, so hasn't driven my 62 Corvette, but son has. I'll let grandkids drive them if they ask, but they will have to be in their 20's, two of them are there?

TFoch likes this.
  10. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just me.

TFoch likes this.
  11. 34Larry

34Larry

Only one person. The automotive guru who helped me get it on the road when I needed better than "garage sqad" help.
    BTW. I should have apologized long ago to the board and moderators for my Avatar being non-traditional. Will be removing and changing immediately upon posting this.

12. Hemihead_NHRA

Hemihead_NHRA

13. BENT VALVE

BENT VALVE

When I went to pick up my Biscayne wagon from the seller my buddy that went with me jumped in the driver's seat and proceeded to drive the next 50 miles, stopping only to tell me I needed gas!
    One friend was racing a very nice '34 3 window that ran the 1/8 in the 7.20 zone and at least once during time runs he'd have me get in the driver's seat for a pass. I ended up making a lot of runs in that car. When we went Super Stock racing I never got behind the wheel, too busy making sure every thing was ready to kick ass.....
    Bent

14. I was in the bar one night last year and one of the ladies in our group brought a friend with her. She was a little younger than me, nice looking and had tattoos... not skinny, not fat, just right. She saw my Ford and asked for a ride, corrected herself and asked to drive it. To her credit, she k-turned it with manual steering and did not stall it out once. If she was single, I would have made a move. She griped about the gas pedal being hard to push, which was not an issue to me.

15. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My oldest daughter drove the 38 when she was 16, she's over 50 now, my son has driven it, the wife has no interest in driving it (although she did drive the chopped 49 Shoebox we had and the four speed Vette with no trouble at all). I suspect she will drive the Studebaker, she likes it, the 38... well not so much:) About the only other person that I can think that has driven the 38 was a friend of my cousins that builds really nice hot rods. He was looking it over and I asked him if he wanted to drive it. We went for a short drive and since then I have heard him tell other people how nice it drove. I can handle critiques like that:) I hope I live long enough for at least one of the grandkids having interest, the skills and a driver license to take a drive.

TFoch likes this.
  16. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

My wife has driven all of our cars,not so much anymore though.
    I’ve had my friends drive my cars to help me diagnose a problem or if they hear the “noise” I’m hearing.:confused:

lothiandon1940, TFoch and Stogy like this.
  17. Ill come out there and drive the coupe Ron!!! Ive been drooling over that car for 20 years!!

18. Deuces

Deuces

The wife don't know how to drive a "stick" car which is cool by me...

lothiandon1940 and TFoch like this.
  19. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Can I be your friend?

20. roder1935

roder1935

I would let anyone with a interest drive some with me in the passenger seat some not I had I young man wanted to take his senior high shcool pictues with my 35 ford pickup arranged a time. we met up and needed to drive to meet the photographer so I handed him the keys and told him he had to drive it there he was nervous and shocked but I hoped it made it something special for him to remeber
    I think we need to remember there just cars and if somting went wrong thats why we pay for insurance

jazz1, clem, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  21. badvolvo

badvolvo

My wife, brother and my son. Wife does not like to, my son has made 1/8 mile passes in the 59 Vette, 7.90's and 1/4 mile in the old P1800, 10.50's. He's 6'6" does not fit well in any of them. I trust them all, they take it easier than I do.
    My wife had not driven a 4 speed since the 80's when we had a 55 chevy. She fried the tires in the Vette but soon got it figured out again.

TFoch, Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  22. My grandson of course... IMG_1701.JPG

23. I let my close friends drive my car. Loaned my A roadster to a buddy one time, so him and his wife could go to a rod run for the weekend.
    My insurance doesn't allow drivers under 10 years of experience to operate the vehicle. It just happened that my son who had turned 26 earlier in the year, was getting married, and one of his wedding party, asked Matt if he ever thought he'd be going to his wedding in his Dad's old car, I asked if he wanted to drive. He was nervous, but did just fine. That's us doing a pre-drive talk. instructions.jpg

ct1932ford, TFoch and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  24. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes, the wife lets me drive this roadster,,, but not this time,,,,,,

939.JPG

25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As said my wife drives them all. She also drives the ones we put together to test for bugs and issues. She can hear stuff that I can't. Gives me feedback on what needs tweaking,

lothiandon1940 and TFoch like this.
  26. I made sure mine to learned to drive or at least manage the Roadster before embarking on our Yellowstone trip, in case I became injured/unable to during any long distance and/or rural part of our travels.

TFoch likes this.
  27. Sure, but friendship is a two-way street. What are you bringing ? ;)

tb33anda3rd and TFoch like this.
  28. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

You can borrow my wife when I'm out cruisin' in your roadster. It'd be harder to pick up chicks with that old hag around anyway!

Edit: Not actually married (for anyone who's thinking I'm a terrible person)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    TFoch likes this.
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My wife has driven cars we have built, serviced, and repaired...she worked with me in my shop for a couple of years, built engines from blocks on up.
    I have sent her with customers to listen to 'noises'...blew their minds when she'd 'hear something out'. Never wrong, from con rod knocks to a loose flywheel...(that one surprised ME!)
    She is careful, competent, and trustworthy. Best 'wrench' I ever worked with.
    She can drive anything I (we) own, and looks good in all of 'em!

hfh, bchctybob, wicarnut and 4 others like this.
  30. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-11-25_3-28-48.png

Hey T,

That giant smile says it all…she loves driving and driving your car. That is fantastic. When we were in high school, just about anyone could drive my 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, if they knew how to drive a floor shift 3 speed and use the clutch. Most girls did not want to drive the sedan delivery, but the stick hydro Impala was a different story.

Out of 5 Chevy sedans in our group, they were all manual transmissions, so my friends could drive my sedan delivery. But, only my friend who owned the hot, 57 Chevy Bel Air with the 4 speed, dual quads, lowered California Rake, was able to drive my Impala, 3 speed or when converted with the C&O Stick Hydro. We traded on many occasions, as he like the column shift being in park vs. his 4 speed shifter lever and knob near the front seat floor. (He said it was room for extra-curricular drive-in activities, ha!)

For me, it was fun driving the 4 speed that we had installed, after driving around in my Impala with the C&O Stick Hydro. The 57 was fun with the 4 speed, but my Impala was a lot faster. Shifting through the gears was the coolest thing to do on his car. The whine, the power, the feel of speed, were all part of the cool 57 Bel Air sedan. But, there was always mutual respect for each other’s cool 50’s cruising hot rods.

Many years later, my wife liked the old cars we had when we got married. When we purchased another 40 sedan delivery with a V8, SBC and A/C, she was hesitant at first, but it was OUR first car we bought together. She loved driving it as people waved and thought it was cool seeing a young woman driving around in a cool cruiser/hot rod. But, after several years, she opted for a new El Camino because she could not see around that right, rear quarter, blind spot that is famous on the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery.

Jnaki

Since I taught her to drive a stick shift car, she had two non HAMB 5 speed cars for 13 and 15 years. But, as noted before, all cars were/are OUR cars, not just mine (but called...HERS). We drive whatever the family situation calls for at the moment. Groceries, shopping, traveling, all can be done in either car at any speed or comfort. These days, it is all about comfort, arriving at a destination well rested, cooler than the outside, and ready to wander around.

As for that teenage photo, our granddaughter will be driving in a few years and we will be in the forefront about teaching her to drive safely. Her parents do not have the calm attitude about driving, the sense of the surroundings, and are not the best drivers education teachers around. You have a great attitude about allowing your daughter (and her being able) to drive the hot rod. KUDOS…