Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage CHRR 2018

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rt1976, Oct 20, 2018.

1. rt1976

rt1976
    from indy

Been watching the CHRR on YouTube the last two days. Bleachers are virtually empty (even during the fuel classes). I’ve always wanted to make the trek, surprised how small the crowd is. Unless it’s bigger on the side where the cameras are and not representative. I’ve been to Bowling Green and it seems to have a much bigger crowd. Any one there or been?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  2. Might be showing the reserved grandstand, usually not as many people on that side.
    I haven't gone for the last couple years so can't say if the crowd is down overall.

Mick

3. NHRA pissed off Steve Gibbs and he quit. Steve was the glue that held the Bakersfield events together. The racers are pissed, the cackle guys are pissed, and the spectators are pissed. It does not surprise me that attendance is down.

fauj, mad mikey, ME.GASSER and 6 others like this.
  4. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

been to the reunion 5 or 6 times in recent years, dean has hit it in a nutshell! nhra with some bad decisions, has screwed this great deal up. there working on screwing bowlingreen up also. there are more threads on this subject on the hamb. a lot of people have spent a lot of money to bring back the cars that were famous, and the powers that control everything, are trying to tell everybody, what to do ,and how to do it. and letting mr gibbs get away, has totally screwed the well oiled machine up.i cant see it ever coming back like it was a few years ago. my group is out there this year, but I said the hell with it!

mad mikey, Dean Lowe and 0ldracer like this.

5. After looking at the pictures posted on bangshift.com the low attendance isn't to shocking to me. For a nostalgia meet, to many of the cars look to modern. All the gas class cars look look pro mods and half the floppers look like modern shells painted to represent older models.

Rick & Jan likes this.
  6. As I have said before, the suits at NHRA could screw up a one car funeral procession.

7. bobw

bobw

Correct me if I'm wrong, but The March Meet is better because NHRA doesn't run it. Track ownership promotes it on their own. NHRA rules still apply.

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM likes this.
  8. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

The first couple of reunions were terrific and then the NHRA took over and turned it from "drag racing as it should be" to a media show. Steve Gibbs is a racer and a hot rodder while the NHRA is mostly suits concerned about perception. That's just my opinion.

9. Drag racing is the simplest and best form of racing. It took a huge commitment to screw it up. F*cking suits.

10. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

and we all say AMEN!

ROCKER77 likes this.
  11. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I have a lot to say , but I'm freakin tired after the haul home . It aint what it used to be. Its more of a dedicated race than a reunion. I miss Steve Gibbs...Not going back next year.

thirtytwo likes this.
  12. It's been just another stop on the modern nostalgia drag race scene for some time now.
    Really lost its early flavor the last couple years

Mick

Sky Six likes this.
  13. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Been going for years, yes the attendance was down when I was there Sat.. Generally you can't find a vacant seat in the bleachers (they got new ones by the way) but this year there were plenty empty spaces. Race cars down also. March Meet is always packed.

14. mopacltd

mopacltd

I didn't go again this year and my Brother's group of 15 said this is their last year to attend.

rd martin and lumpy 63 like this.
  15. Wow...2 threads on this event and neither of them positive. Hope they get it figured out, but doesn’t sound good. Seems so odd for Southern California to not have the premiere nostalgia drag racing event in the Country..

Sky Six likes this.
  16. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This event was basically over when Steve Gibbs left. The head of the museum is too busy with trains to worry about it. Worst mistake they ever made.

rd martin and mad mikey like this.
  17. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I been going since 2001 , the last two years have been very small attendance compared to all those years before , I went Friday night and Saturday, usally hang with some friends in swap till evening when it cools off then try to find a spot in bleachers to watch the altereds run...
    it appeared like they oiled down the track so many times during the day and all the clean up time they must of cancelled the altereds to run funny cars and keep the cackle fest on schedule

I looked in the staging lanes and saw nothing but funny cars when the altereds left .. so I left, I think this was my last year , definitely not worth dedicating a whole weekend to anymore for sure.... she done...

rd martin and aussie oldie like this.
  18. bchctybob

bchctybob

In regards to the empty stands; like someone said, it depends on where the camera was. The Tower side is where the main grandstand and the majority of the spectators/cameras are. The other side seats you closer to the racing surface but the afternoon sun is right in your face. Also, there were plenty of oil downs and a lot of folks just get up and get food or go walk around and may not come back, me included.
    And Bowling Green; Just an observation, but it seems like the folks east of the Rockies are much more enthusiastically involved in drag racing as fans and as participants. Years ago I flew back and attended nostalgia drags at IRP and Gateway and the attendance and enthusiasm was impressive as was the friendliness of the folks I met.
    The few "nostalgia" drag races we have here in California are nowhere near as well attended as events back east seem to be. I'm afraid all the negative experiences and comments are going to make the situation worse. No doubt the Reunion has suffered since Gibbs left but it's still one of the few places we west coasters can see and hear the old race cars up close (you should have seen and heard the old Scotty's Muffler car on nitro) and see some good on track action (get there Friday and early Saturday to see exhibition runs and A/FX ).
    It's all we've got out here, so if you don't go and they become financially unsuccessful they will be discontinued. I wish we had the Melt Down Drags out here but we don't. The closest thing we have is the Kingdon Reunion, Eagle Field, and Dragfest and for some unknown reason they don't get the attendance numbers that will guarantee their existence. They survive by the grit and tenacity of a few hardworking guys. Gibbs is giving it a go with his Nitro Reunion but so far they have been either waaay down south (Barona) or mixed in with the sporty car event in Monterrey (try getting a room near there - $$$) A soon-to-be-great event in search of a great venue.
    I suggest talking to, emailing or now days contacting the promoters on social media and tell them what you think. Several years ago my friends and I witnessed a woman hit by a golf cart. We contacted the track owners and voiced our concerns about golf carts in the walkway in front of the grandstands. At the next event there were signs, "no golf carts in this area except for placarded handicapped carts" They listened. (there was a guy run over Friday night at the CHRR - I hope he's OK, he wasn't getting up while we were there)
    Sorry, rant over.

rd martin, BigDogSS and ROCKER77 like this.
  19. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Hey Bob really enjoyed checking out your Austin! It was a bummer for us cause after 4 yrs of running the Willys they decided we couldn't run it anymore:(

rd martin likes this.
  20. We have traveled from Australia 5 times for the MM and Chrr. Last time was 2016 for the reunion and went home really disappointed. Won't be going back. It is at least a $10g exercise for the 2 of us, which we saved for every few years. I am a huge fuel altered fan and they were virtually pushed onto the back burner with a couple of their sessions cancelled. Thanks for the memories!!

rd martin and lumpy 63 like this.
  21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Pics or it’s didn’t happen

22. I stopped going several years ago. It was always the exact same program, it got old.
    Gibbs or not there wasn't much creative thinking.
    I'd suggest Fuel altereds, liberalize the nitro rules a little so they can go a little faster, not to increased costs much, give guys a couple years to change. And ditch the too modern looking cars!!
    Some new classes would be fun. Like an FX old funny car class, injected and blown, think 1965-66.
    Same for gas classes, set back the rules to 65-66.
    Have some entertainment for down time! Bothe the MM and CHRR had constant oil downs, only the real devoted sit for two hours for track clean up. Hire some airplanes or DO something.
    The cackle at the hotel was always too many people in too small a space, nobody could see and it was always late.
    AND limit the beer a little, get the DAMN CARTS OUT OF THERE!
    It needs a shot in the arm, to RETURN to what it once was.

23. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Did anyone go into the silent auction tent? It was tiny and had nothing of any value, with non existent bidders. A far cry from a couple of years ago. Guessing people don't want to donate to the new regime ?

24. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

I have not attended the reunion in the past but I had a great time. I've been stationed out of country for a good while and this was my first event of any kind in two years. I took my wife and four kids in the camper and stayed at the track for the weekend and made a family event out of it.

I got the chance to meet some great folks (some HAMBers). Had the rare opportunity to talk with some folks I have looked up to for years (Tommy Ivo, Ed Iskenderian, Rich Gausco, Leon Fitzgerald, Joe Schubeck, Mike Boyd, etc). Got to watch and see great street cars, altereds, and slingshot dragsters. Best part is getting another chance to share the experience with my kids and see them get excited about it too.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    nochop, lumpy 63, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  25. rooman

rooman

Bob,
    the CHHR was on my "must go" list for years (I even qualified in NT/F in 2010) but I have not been back since the 2016 debacle. I missed Barona but made it to Laguna Seca for the Revival this year (and rooms were reasonably priced in Salinas). I hope to be at Irwindale for the 2019 Nitro Revival.
    Living in Indy has meant that I have been to all of the NHRR events at Bowling Green (and to Columbus when they moved it there in 2007). The nitro car count (race cars) is down at the NHRR compared with the Bakersfield event but the supporting cast is probably a little more nostalgic as there are no Pro Mods and plenty of what I would call hobby level altereds and dragsters. The one benefit of having less fuel race cars on hand is that the oil down factor is way better and the show is rarely interrupted at Bowling Green which makes the casual fan a lot happier. Don't get me wrong, I love the number of top fuel and funny cars at Famoso but when the track is oiled on a regular basis even a hard core fan like me gets pissed off.
    At one time the Bakersfield cacklefest was far and away the biggest with over 70 cars in 2015 but since the suits got involved and pissed everybody off it appears that there are about the same number of push start cars at both events.
    As for Rocky's deal at Eagle Field, the venue lacks spectator amenities and thus is a little more for the hard core fan. Dragfest suffers from being a smaller and less promoted event at Famoso which already has two well known races with a lot of history. The Bowser's tried the Saturday Night Nitro series and ran into the same problem.
    I hate what the corporate side of the NHRA have done to kill the CHRR along with the fact to them it is just a revenue stream. Look at the state of the plaques in the grove and remember that these were supposed to be maintained with funds generated by the silent auction. And on that subject I hear that the auction this year was a bust without Gibbs' participation in soliciting donations (or contributing from his own collection of artifacts)

Roo

26. Low attendance was not an illusion. Here are the Sunday, prime-time photos I published on the other CHRR thread. This was during the Funny Car second round. Attendance Sunday for the finals seemed to be a couple thousand ant the most. NO ONE in the concession/hot rod show area, bleachers MAYBE 1/3 full to be generous. Less than half the hot rods that were there Friday came back Sunday. As I mentioned on the other thread, I never go on Saturday so to be fair, people I talked to said that day was wall to wall people like it used to be so the organizers probably made a profit. Sunday finals however definitely was not like the old days.
    IMG_1189.JPG IMG_1190.JPG IMG_1191.JPG IMG_1192.JPG IMG_1193.JPG

nochop and bchctybob like this.
  27. rooman

rooman

Sunday had not drawn much of a crowd in the most recent years that I attended but that looks really sparse

Roo

28. It was like Twilight Zone sparse!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got so eerie, I started checking out the other people there to see if they weren't really Walking Dead rejects!!!!!!

29. mopacltd

mopacltd

But people still pay the NHRA to be there. What's up with that?

30. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Saturday easily had 1/2 the spectator numbers compared to 2015