Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Chrysler Mild Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gotgas, Jan 15, 2018.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I hate snakes!

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  3. RodStRace

RodStRace

I just was sharing the pattern, since he's considering something inside the side spears.
    Didn't mean to get ya riled!

4. farmer12

farmer12

Great car, love it!

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

You didn’t rile me, snakes give me the heebee geebees

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the chuckle fellas now I go do some more work...:D...

@Gotgas...loookin' good

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

Not bad, I guess. ;) I can't believe you've already had it a decade. Or that that means you've had the wagon 14 years. We were in our 20's, for gods sake...

Gotgas likes this.
  8. spiritof67

spiritof67

Wasn't just a "1957 cars" problem. The government got on Chrysler's tail after all the problems with rust in the Volare line, 20 years later.....we all know that the reason why we see so few "classic era" Chrysler product is because MoPar just didn't bother with even the vestigal rustproofing GM did.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

So how did you figure out the insert materials? I have been trying to figure out a cloth insert for the 55, but I haven't had any luck searching SMS website. Trying to search Google for material samples is a lost cause.

Sancho and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Just email SMS with any build info you have on your car's OEM configuration. They returned samples of my car's materials very quickly. I bought the "black jacquard mosaic" fabric from them, but went with a local vendor for the silver vinyl. Its not as "accurate" but I like the silver.

20181126_131336.jpg 20181126_131039(0).jpg 20181106_115742.jpg 20181106_113737.jpg

VANDENPLAS, eddie1, mgtstumpy and 5 others like this.
  11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Totally true. But the 1957 cars were a huge departure from the quality cars that Chrysler had been known for from before the war up to 1954. For '55 and '56, the quality was down generally but still about industry standard. For 1957, the cars were just junk. It ruined Chrysler's quality reputation for... well, forever, I guess. They were a mess. But I still love 'em.

Have fun reading...
    http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=51824&start=1

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

My dad texted me today to remind me that it's been a year since I started this thread (thanks, dad ;) ) so it must be time to get out a status update.

2018 was a hell of a lot of fun! Building and driving this old thing with all my friends was great. It runs and drives awesome, doesn't do anything scary or weird (you know how old cars can be), and it gets a lot of attention everywhere it goes.

0.jpg

But now that it is proven to be a good car, it's time to make it a good looking car! So it all had to come back apart for paint, chrome, and interior.

1.jpg
    2.jpg

After stripping all the chrome and stainless off, we were happy to see that there really is almost no rust on the entire car - quarters, rockers, trunk extensions, wheel openings, trunk and window channels, rocker drains, body mounts, and all the other usual suspects are just about perfect. There was some old collision damage on the driver's quarter that dad is working out, but overall it's the most solid example of a '50s Mopar that you could ever hope to find.

lower quarters
    3.jpg
    rockers
    4.jpg
    trunk channel and tail light areas
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    The back half of the car is in first prime. Nice to see the car in one color!
    8.jpg

Not a lot to report besides that! Once the car is painted we'll work with an upholsterer friend to get the seats redone, and possibly have him do the entire interior if we can work out a budget. I've been making some minor mechanical changes and repairs to get it ready for 2019, but mostly the focus is on the cosmetics. Thanks for checking in!

13. Love it! Glad I got to inspect it in person a few months back. Can't wait to see it all shiny.

Gotgas likes this.
  14. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

A few subtle changes made a world of difference in the car. Love what you have accomplished.

jim

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Gotgas and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. That is my favorite 50's MoPar hands down!

16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool Mopar! I love it!

chryslerfan55 and Gotgas like this.
  17. Wraith

Wraith
    from DFW

Awesome update!

kidcampbell71 and Gotgas like this.
  18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We painted one of those once.... We buffed and rubbed that sucker for a month! Lots of sheet metal area on those buggers! Yours is beautiful!

19. Good going, Danny. I'm very impressed.

20. Loving this.

Gotgas likes this.
  21. I love late fifties mopars!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Hey Dan, thanks man. I've been enjoying all your progress too! ;)
    Thank you sir!
    Mine too :D
    Much appreciated!
    Thanks Jon!
    I know, the green one, I was sick with envy when you scored that car! You may already know, but the guy you sold it to is doing a great job with it.
    Thanks Phil, that means a lot. Start planning a trip to TX to check it out!
    Thanks!!
    Thanks, I do too!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. Fantastic! Amazing to see one of those with no rust. Can't wait to see it in paint! Gonna look awesome!

24. 'Mo

'Mo

Some folks know a good thing when they see it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slayer, chryslerfan55, drdave and 5 others like this.
  25. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yeah, Gene would have been better off starting with a Mopar instead of making one out of a Mercury ;) LOL

safetythird, Besty34, eddie1 and 10 others like this.
  26. Gotgas: Thanks Phil, that means a lot. Start planning a trip to TX to check it out!
    That's a fine road car, Danny. You should hit the West Coast Kustoms gig, in Santa Maria. You'd be the King!

27. RodStRace

RodStRace

I figured that once the mechanical part was done, you guys would tackle those Looong sides, getting ready for Black. Since you hadn't posted in a while, the guess was sore fingers from sanding kept you from typing! :D

Great to see progress and hope it doesn't fight you too much. From the sound of it, this one will be pretty easy to get nice, but they all are a b(%$& to get really straight for black.

28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Car is completely primed. It is such a good, solid body. Didn't take much filler at all. Time to block!

received_2627814150567107.jpeg

29. mike 51

mike 51
    from norcal

neat car...thanks 4 sharing

Gotgas likes this.