Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who really loves wiring ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll send you a message later on when I get home.

2. because i think it looks nice

as for diagnosing problems later on ,if you do the job right you should not ever need to. all three of my hot rods are done in a single color and i've never had any problems, not even a blown fuse. 23 years on my `28 Tudor , 11 years on my `36 and 2 years on my `30 coupe

knock on wood

besides , if i wired it i should be able to figure it out if something does pop up

3. What is lacking in the instructions ? What's a good instruction kit look like vs a poor one?

2x4s don't come with instructions either but yet we manage.

Last few I did I used the 12 circuit speedway kit. Idk but 9+3 is 12 too. I'm not crazy about the box mounting but they do everything they are supposed to. Cheap and you use what ever switches you want.

4. I don’t mind wiring a car from scratch. The last one I did, I used a Rebel kit just for the wire, tossed the rest, and used an on hand Enos Black Box. Enos has sold to someone else now. I add relays and fusible links to make it as safe as I can. I put a lot of thought into each circuit and take forever to get the job done. I am planning to put 53 Buick column in my 51, now. I am just starting the wiring thought process, changing away from the standard GM plug in column.

LAROKE and Atwater Mike like this.
  5. banditomerc

banditomerc

That's a great idea!!

Sent from my SM-J727T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. TERPU

TERPU

I love it too! But I used to think of it differently. Using a pre maid harness is a pain in the ass sometimes. So I just learned to use a fuse panel and wire backwards from the component to it. You'll find It's a lot easier and your wires always go the way you want and they are the correct length. Also when you loom it there's much more flexibility in how you do this.

The other thing is mentally think of electricity like water, It's got to get back to the ground somehow and anything in the way is just a resistor or like a dam. Ground is the lifeblood of the circuit so make sure they are good.

Lastly if you are re-doing an old crusty bunch of circuits just cut it all out and start over. New to old wiring is a recipe for disaster and grief.

- Tim

Redrodguy, Cosmo49 and trollst like this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Backwards forwards whats the difference when someone is bound to forget something?

TERPU likes this.
  8. If you plan it and have a diagram to follow it can be easy and fun. Did my roadster with the help of my wife fishing wires for me. Made my own schematic in color to match wires. One light circuit, one power.
    Wiring 001.jpg Wiring 002.jpg 002.JPG 001.JPG 006.JPG 001.JPG It is rewarding!

Hamtown Al and Blue One like this.
  9. gatz

gatz

12 or 15 ?
    Can someone list the probable circuits for each?
    A person "in the know" advised a 12-ciruit kit; which is fine by me.... I just don't want to come up short.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What all do you want to have work? Keep in mind most everything is fused except starter and ignition.

11. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Running some extra wires is a really good idea. Wiring from scratch is costly. The last race car I had, I rewired it and had a chunk of money in just wire.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I taught my wife Joey the basic elements of wiring, then she referred to the 'Painless' book while installing the kit in my customer's '54 F100.
    Joey designed the back panel of the dash, then ran a new scratch-built harness to all the gauges, switches, interior lamp switch & door buttons, whole interior.
    No wires spiraled, or tangled; everything textbook. (more patience than me...and I'm chronic!)
    A pleasure to work with, she is organized, careful, and has a 'foresight' as to how it's going to 'flow'. Positively a vision, her work.
    I was busy with my LEAST favorite part: installing 'clips' at stations along the left frame rail back, and the run along the upper left front fender panel. Care must be taken to avoid the "re-wired look". (the typical look)
    F100s also need special rigging across from left to right at upper valance. To achieve the desired layout, it took special 'pains'. (did I say I just had a birthday? ANOTHER one?)
    The customer was in disbelief. He stuttered, "I...love...it..." and paid the bill.

13. Vintage vehicle wiring is simple, especially with most OEM systems I've ever encountered and I approach it just like anything else automotive or technical (see my fourth signature line).

I've also designed, drawn (color-coded) schematics, fabricated from scratch (& installed) several (vintage) harness' myself for custom applications, including couple of vintage wooden boats (and my Roadster 30 years ago), etc. and installed many OEM replacement sets on variety of vintage cars, but never dealt with or seen any good aftermarket kits as most seem to be geared for generic "modernizing" of vintage cars with modern components, so I just don't bother with that nonsense.

Then again, I've probably made it clear enough already that I've always been more into authentic vintage/traditional build approach on old cars than pu**ifying them into ones just posing as such by using UPS truck loads of generic Amazon/Walmart/Insertyourfavoriteonlinesupplierhere, "One-Size-Fits-Non-At-All" components or kits fashioned after who-knows-what-kind-of--late-model minivan/sedan/SUV design.
    And they wonder why this hobby has no future. :(

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  14. gatz

gatz

What I've come up with so far... can some of these be combined ?

upload_2018-10-22_19-34-3.png

15. I like wiring. I used to either scratch-wire or scarf a complete harness and fuse panel from a 70s-80s GM car. I once used a 70s mopar harness and it was pretty similar to the GM stuff with different color wires.
    This last time I used an EZ Wire kit. Jesus, 21 circuits! I terminated most of the wires at terminal blocks scattered throughout the car in case I need any of them later.
    Hint: If you're going to be doing wiring, leave the phone in the house, tell the Mrs to leave you alone for awhile and do NOT drink while wiring.

firstinsteele and olscrounger like this.
  16. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

12. Horn - Or a "HORN BROKE, WATCH FOR FINGER" bumper sticker

17. TERPU

TERPU

Well I never said that ownership of the problems wasn't all on the guy doing the job, and yes missing something really sucks.
    But Maybe I should have put one more bullet point in that said - Write down everything you want power on and check it off as you go.

All the best - Tim

Johnny Gee likes this.
  18. gatz

gatz

good catch, Trailer
    A horn is worth a thousand words....or something like that.

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many of the kits have a wire for elec fan and ac/heater. I do not like to take that load thru the panel but rather use these wires to fire a relay to turn on elec fan,ac or what ever. Speaking of wiring, going to go wire a 7 sec drag car tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    RICH B and Gman0046 like this.
  20. gene-koning

gene-koning

You probably want to split the turn flasher/hazard flasher. The turn signals you will want to run through the ignition switch so they are off when the switch is off. You will likely want the hazard flashers to run through the battery power so you don't have to have the ignition switch to be on for the emergency flashers to work. Gene

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  21. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^This--no distractions while wiring.

trollst likes this.
  22. woodbox

woodbox

I wouldn't say I love it. But it is very satisfying to finish it right.
    Mount the fuse panel, battery, main isolator, ground cables for body and engine, charging circuit then one cable at a time......like a mouse eats an elephant.....one mouthful at a time!

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I guess I am a screwed up individual that doesnt like premade kits. I like sizing my wire out to specific loads etc. It is overbuilt but I have never had one ever fire or have a failure, soldered and heat shrunk terminals everywhere. I guess its like putting a topper on a cake, just the little extra........

firstinsteele likes this.
  24. 392

I don’t love it but kinda like it. Change of pace.

25. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some more stuff w. EFI....(OT 29 PHAETON EXT.jpg 29 PHAETON INT.jpg hillborn megasquirt2-relay2b-f.jpg Sorry!)
    to wrap my head around it - probably over did it...but...If its' worth doing...

26. goldmountain

goldmountain

I alluded (love that word) to an old Rod & Custom article for getting into a love of wiring. Well, here it is. Looking back, it is a very simple wiring panel for a T bucket, but to me, it just looked great. Wiring done well is like an art form; not a chore to be avoided. You have a pretty basic car - should be a walk in the park. Scan-181023-0004.jpg Scan-181023-0005.jpg

27. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I enjoy wiring (not "love" it) because it lets my anal-retentive side go crazy. Layout, design, components...... it's fun in it's own way. I am building the harness for the '32 from scratch so I can try out a few ideas that adapting pre-made kits won't allow.

trollst likes this.
  28. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

This is my DIY wiring job. In the trunk for easier access, spare circuits, most circuits individually fused , and relay control on many. I found a bargain on a nice quantity of new teflon insulated, plated copper wire (I'm guessing aircraft quality), at a local flea market. Mostly red or black, but that's OK. Made up a spreadsheet with each circuit's description, where the wire originates, where it lands, wire color, AWG, fuse size, and routing. And circuit diagrams for reference. As a retired electrician/technician, I always enjoyed panel work.

Attached Files:

29. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that the Trunk of the Space Shuttle?..Nice Job!...Lotso Space!

GeezersP15 likes this.
  30. Great tip!