Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Ford customline 302/ T5 swap ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adam lebuff, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Adam lebuff

Adam lebuff

I have a 1953 customline. Just picked up a 302 and trying to find a t5 to mount up with it. What motor mounts have you guys fabed up and which t5 tranny should I use. Mustang or f-150

Attached Files:

WTK likes this.
  2. evintho

evintho

3. the truck had a t5?
    I thought the truck was a mazada built trans
    the car one has better gear ratios and is smaller in size
    I vote car

4. You should join the 52 thru 59 ford social forum. If you click the icon next to the search function and pick social forums and then pick brands you will see the group. You will find this group to be very helpful.

The Mustang transmission would be the better choice.

JeffB2 likes this.

5. Use the Mustang T-5 the truck transmission is different.

I used 84 Mustang motor mounts with my swap. HRP

6. Adam lebuff

Adam lebuff

I’m wondering in regards to the position of the shifter on the t5. I know the truck t5 position is in the middle vs the end off the tail housing. Would my bench seat still work with the mustang t5?

7. Look at Hotrodprimer build thread in his signature. You can see his shifter location in a picture on page 14.

8. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Use Speedway's Weld in biscuit style mounts, we use them on every build very easy to custom fit them, as far as the Trans goes, Get the Mustang T5 and then grab the S10 Rear housing and shifter location for best fitment into the car if keeping the bench seat.

9. Bench seat/T-5 transmission in a '54 Ford.

I used a old Hurst stick and tilted it forward to clear the seat when my wife is driving with the seat in the forward position. HRP

upload_2018-10-24_9-55-55.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    mikhett likes this.
  10. Adam lebuff

Adam lebuff

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

WHOA!!! The O.P. has a '53 Ford the link here is from my Album for a '54 Ford mounts are night and day different, 1954-59 can use the mounts in this link but if you have a 1952-53 car you will want this. https://butchscoolstuff.com/52-53-ford-car-15-sb-ford-engine-transmission-mount-kit-2501cpb/ NOTE: I have sent Butch's pictures of SBF installations and they have NOT changed the text listed with the kit,ONLY the Ford AOD will sit dead on the stock transmission cross member if you have a T-5 or C4 you will need an extension plate shown below posted by one of our 1952-59 Ford Social Group members today. 1-gas.jpeg

12. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

There is nothing wrong with the F-150 5 Speed (Also found in Thunderbirds and Cougars). It is a Mazda built M5-R2 transmission and can generally take a bit more torque then a standard Mustang T-5. The M5-R2 shifter is also further forward than the T5 shifter, that will typically work better in our old cars. I run one in my '51 F-1 and am very happy with it. They get a bad rap because of hard shifting that results from worn shift rails and bushings. It is a fairly straight forward repair to correct the problem. I have typically found that M5-R2's are also cheaper since they are not as prized by the hot rod community.

13. The Mazda build M5-OD transmission in the F-150 is a good transmission! My 16 year nephew hasn’t hurt it yet! If you decide to go that way, send me a PM and I have a Hurst Shifter for the F-150 transmission. I bought an O/T 1990 F-150 for my Dad and the Hurst was installed in the truck, shifted great, just hard for Dad to use as a D/D.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app