Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who Else Gets To Drive Your Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TFoch, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Today I took a drive on the back roads of New Hampshire with my daughter. As we made a turn onto a road that was going to bring us through a covered bridge, I pulled over and asked her if she wanted to drive. With the biggest smile I've seen on her face in a while she said YES! I don't let just anyone drive my car but I enjoyed sharing this with my daughter. Do you guys let anyone else drive your cars? IMG_3810.JPG IMG_3774.JPG IMG_3812.JPG

2. clem

clem

8CD20ECE-2FCB-4AC8-9423-245B1B1ED415.jpeg

Definitely, but only friends who understand old cars.
    Not everyone can drive this old beast.
    I did offer to teach my 13 year old daughter to drive in it, but she preferred her brothers jappa......

3. raven

raven

My youngest son (21) and rarely my wife. With the new engine in it, she doesn’t want to drive it anymore...
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John Porter.

TFoch, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my wife drives them all

6. I don't let a lot of people drive my car. My wife will drive it, but it seems to me she's nervous when she does, and that can create its own issues. There are a few of the folks that I hang out with that I have no problem letting them drive.

It's such a different experience seeing your car being driven, rather than you driving it. Last month I had 2 of my 63s at a show and I got to see the one in my avatar, being driven by my wife, in the rear view mirror. I don't recall ever seeing it in motion from that perspective.

Ron Funkhouser, TFoch, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

I’d let anyone drive the Chev if I knew that they loved and respected old cars. I would die if it got damaged but I’m also not to precious about it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOU WELLS, bobss396, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  8. Wife prefers to be the cuddly passenger but she can drive. The kids and my dad can drive occasionally

LOU WELLS, TFoch, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  9. I only trust two people to drive my F-100 and my brother is the other one.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOU WELLS, TFoch and Stogy like this.
  10. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

At one point, it was a decently sized list. Me, my dad, my mom, a couple friends of mine. Then mom got stuck somewhere, dad decided he wants AC in Florida, I went away to college and a couple of the friends got busted for drunk driving in an OT pickup they had already rolled without leaving property lines in a suburban neighborhood. Currently just one friend, but he’s the reason the engine’s out of it. Blew a head gasket doing a couple rolling runs at 90 on the interstate like a dumbass. He only will be able to drive it when I can’t, cause at this point I still would prefer it was running regularly instead of him not touch it. Got to put the drivetrain back in it first though.

TFoch, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very few...The Transport company driver drove it into my garage and parked it at delivery...the Mechanic who certified it and three other mechanics did also that did some engine work on it...the Missus has no interest but going for a drive that's it. No real Hotrodders in my family...and I've let a couple sit in it too much to lose and Insurance.

Somewhat related...I let 2 work colleagues both seasoned Motorcycle riders one after another take my Vintage 57 Harley for a ride around my former very large, largely parked up workplace parking lot. One came back after several minutes the other fella hopped on took it away and when he came back several minutes later he was banged up with the bike somewhat damaged...he went head over heels saying it wouldn't stop...he was lucky to be alive...I don't know what the hell happened but it must have been quite the thing to witness...I was able to ride home can't remember what I did to fix it.

This all said I see above others have had issues as well...yeah I'm picky about it...be careful who you allow that's for sure.

TFoch and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Crocodile

Crocodile

My wife moves my 40 around if she wants the shop or the hoist. Otherwise, only my Dad, so far. He is 82, loosing a lot of memory, and can still show me how to make shifting a 40 look effortless...

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I would say my wife but I don't think she would be interested in that. I maybe surprised one day but I guess it just me. :)

Stogy, TFoch and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

My collector car insurance has very few restrictions, but my wife or myself are the only authorized drivers. I'm ok with that...

Stogy and TFoch like this.
  15. Awesome post "TFoch"

That is one of the things I missed by never having any "human" kids! All my kids were born without thumbs, so they can't drive.

As a transporter, there are many times when I drive a customers vehicle before or after I transport it for many reasons. Sometimes I can't get the truck & trailer close enough to winch, other times the buyer is scared to death to drive them or put them in their garage for the first time. Having been a rabid car guy for decades, I have owned & driven hundreds, so I handle that for them

Here is one that comes to mind. I unloaded across from this gentlemans' house & said ..I hope you enjoy your new toy, his response was : I need you to park it in the garage next to the Rolls! I smiled & said No Problem.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

IMG_20160807_074353023 (640x360).jpg IMG_20160807_080702610 (640x360).jpg

16. jimdillon

jimdillon

I have allowed others to drive my cars, including my wife but I generally don't make a habit of it. I also don't like driving other peoples cars. My grandfather was a car collector and I was required to drive antique and classic cars to shows for years. Some were enjoyable to drive and others were a chore. There are exceptions of course when my friend asked if I wanted to drive his Marmon V16 around the track at Indy during the 2011-centential celebration. Here is a picture they supply you when you cross the bricks. Fun day for sure.

Bill, by the way it was good meeting you on Friday loading the 61 Vette. I would certainly suggest that others give you a try when they need transport. Jim img090-1.jpg

17. Having driven hundreds of vintage cars, including many of my customers*, in past 4 decades myself, I've always let anyone with appreciation, interest and reasonable understanding of vintage vehicle driving experience drive any of mine.
    While I love (vintage) driving, I also enjoy sitting as passenger in my own cars, especially the Roadster if its driven by someone with above attributes.

* After any major work, especially anything mechanical, I usually put a minimum 100-200 miles of testing, including at least 80%** of cars top speed capabilities, etc before handing the keys to owner.
    Many will never attempt to drive theirs that hard, but I just want to make sure it is capable and safe doing it if they ever decide to do so. Some have even asked me to give them a spirited ride in their own car. ;)

** I've done 140+ on extended periods (on public roads, not "racing") with several 45+ year old cars capable of 170+ and 100+ with numerous 55+ year old ones capable of +/-120.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    chryslerfan55, TFoch and Stogy like this.
  18. My late wife would have loved to drive my car since its a stick and is fast. So far my buddy Neil and my brother are the only ones that have driven it any distance. They have both been involved in the build. The car has no power steering and it takes muscle to handle it, my current girlfriend has no desire to even try it.

chryslerfan55, TFoch and Stogy like this.
  19. Brenda drives anything in the garage but prefers the wagon.

I have let several friend drive my old Deuce, including my daughter & good friends.

Our grandson is coming home from collage this Christmas and ask me would I teach him how to drive a stick, I was totally unaware he had never had the opportunity to enjoy the thrill of banging gears & the wagon is the only one that is straight drive.

So, yes our grandson will be driving it soon.

While we are giving drivers lessons I guess we should teach our eldest granddaughter to drive the wagon, after all she will inherit the car when we can no loner drive. HRP

20. squirrel

squirrel

I got one of my sons to drive the Chevy II a few times, and of course my friend Dan has put a bunch of miles on it, driving to/from Drag Week.

Still haven't got anyone to try Almost Funny. You have to be really stupid to want do drive that one.

20150915_151928_HDR.jpg

21. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

I will let immediate family members drive the cars after I've taught them how the car starts. The biggest difference that I have to alert them to is the carbureted cars don't start like FI cars. For some reason the average Joe/Josephine want to hold the pedal to the floor after having an extended starter run. They then hold the pedal to the floor way too long. The 40 Buick is a unique starter as you don't engage the stater with the key, but merely turn the ignition to the on position then use the gas pedal to activate the starter. I would never valet park the cars.

chryslerfan55 and TFoch like this.
  22. As I've probably mentioned somewhere here before, I've even let some good friends take my Roadster for few day road trips.

chryslerfan55 and TFoch like this.
  23. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

My wife drives the 50 Chevy and is ready to learn about the older ones. My son and brother have driven my coupe. Other cars I have let lots of people drive them. I make sure they understand and appreciate how to drive them. Earlier this summer I taught the lead singer from the rock band Devotchka how to drive my roadster. They used it in a music video that they are working on. It was cool to meet the band and then the next week see them on good morning America.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. My wife and daughters will drive the Nomad, Vette, or Delivery. But not the old A coupe. They're more than welcome to. They just don't want to! :rolleyes:
    20180826_143106.jpeg 20180727_065337.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

So far, I'm the only one to drive the Lincoln. It had manual steering, and after her first ride in it, my wife decided until it got power steering she wasn't going to try and drive it. Everything else I've had, we both drove. She'll get her chance with the Lincoln when it gets back on the road, hopefully by next summer.....

26. No one I know well enough to let them wants to drive old cars...:(

27. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Jeff Gordon, John Force and Steve Kinser!

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

29. jim snow

jim snow

Boy that smile is worth a million. I let two of three kids of mine that asked. I saw the same smile. Can't beat it. Snowman